Not open for further replies.

Hardcore

Aug 26, 2002
Out of:

Devan Dubnyk
Cory Schneider
David Shantz
Justin Peeters

which of the 4 goalie prospects picked in last year's draft is the best goalie prospect right now, who has the greatest potential and which of the 4 (if any or all) will actually live up to or reach their potential.

Thanks in advance.

X-SHARKIE

I personally love Corey Schneider, I went out of my way to get him on my keeper league team. I saw him play two summers ago in Green Bay and he looked fantastic. Put a good goaltender coach with this guys unreal talents, and he could be a franchise goaltender. I've seen him twice this year with Boston College and he hasn't disapointed one bit. He's the real deal.

Dont' sleep on David Shantz either, IMO he should've been a 1st round pick last year but only so many teams well take a goalie in the 1st round. I'm not Dubnyks biggest fan and felt he should've gone around 20-25 but his ceilling is huge and undeniable.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
Their all fairly close but I would take Schneider. The only concern with him last year was he was playing against inferior competition and this year he has proved himself at the college level. Shantz would be a close 2nd. He was amazing in last year's playoffs.

I still believe the Oilers took Dubnyk too high which is hard for me to say being an Oilers fan. I thought he was a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. He has a lot of potential because of his size but I still have my concerns about the mental side of his game. He could turn out to be like Sean Burke and be a good #1 goalie or a Garth Snow where he bounces betwen being a starter and a backup.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Blue Bullet said:
I still believe the Oilers took Dubnyk too high which is hard for me to say being an Oilers fan. I thought he was a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. He has a lot of potential because of his size but I still have my concerns about the mental side of his game. He could turn out to be like Sean Burke and be a good #1 goalie or a Garth Snow where he bounces betwen being a starter and a backup.

What makes the pick even stranger is you already have J DD who is in the same mold as Dubnyk but is 2 years ahead of him in development. You could have taken a positional player...or traded the pick.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
What makes the pick even stranger is you already have J DD who is in the same mold as Dubnyk but is 2 years ahead of him in development. You could have taken a positional player...or traded the pick.

And what if JDD busts? They would have nothing.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
One thing that is worrysome is that Shantz is having an absolutely horrible season with Mississauga. Michael Ouzas has essentially taken over the number one spot from him for the past month and he's played fantastic for the Dogs.

Shantz is a great goalie, but I don't know whats wrong with him this year.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
dem said:
And what if JDD busts? They would have nothing.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have taken a goalie but not at 14. If I was picking I would have taken Schremp at 14 and at 25 you could have taken a goalie. Schneider and Shantz would have both been available and assuming nobody else picked a goalie other than the Blues before 25, one of Schwarz or Dubnyk would have been available. I guess it's in hindsight but I think it is reasonable to believe that one of Dubnyk, Shantz or Schneider would have been there at 25.

It worked itself out in the end other than I would have preferred Schneider but since they picked Dubnyk there is nothing I can do but cheer him on and hope for the best.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
Schneider looks like the best. I'd like to see more of him, though. I think he could even challenge Schwarz for the 2nd best goalie in that draft.

A question that will be asked soon is, where does Jeff Glass belong on this list?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
saskhab said:
Schneider looks like the best. I'd like to see more of him, though. I think he could even challenge Schwarz for the 2nd best goalie in that draft.

A question that will be asked soon is, where does Jeff Glass belong on this list?

Glass is a guy that, through this season so far, has really impressed me with Kootenay. Time will tell if he's the real deal.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Vman said:
How is Schneider doing in the NCAA?

He's doing awesome in the NCAA already picking up a defensive players of the week award, and I believe he is unbeaten in the NCAA.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Blue Bullet said:
I'm not saying we shouldn't have taken a goalie but not at 14. If I was picking I would have taken Schremp at 14 and at 25 you could have taken a goalie. Schneider and Shantz would have both been available and assuming nobody else picked a goalie other than the Blues before 25, one of Schwarz or Dubnyk would have been available. I guess it's in hindsight but I think it is reasonable to believe that one of Dubnyk, Shantz or Schneider would have been there at 25.

It worked itself out in the end other than I would have preferred Schneider but since they picked Dubnyk there is nothing I can do but cheer him on and hope for the best.

Dubnyk shouldn't have been taken at #14. I mean Schwartz was still available. If you wanted Dubnyk you could have picked up with the #25 or the second round.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Well Lowe and the Scouts thought DD was the best goalie in the draft. And they weren't alone. I head St.Louis wand DD as well. They were very pleased to grab him. He impressed them a lot when he showed then the charts he made for WHL shooters that showed how often they shoot, pass, who they pass to, where they like to shoot, etc.

Plus he is playing pretty well this year after a slow start and is still learning how to use his massive frame. His top end potential is a Kolzig and low end is a Snow. Either way I am happy with the pick. But I have to admit I would have been more upset if they didn't grab Schremp at 25. I wanted Schremp and DD as our first two picks and who cares if they were drafted in the wrong order. They still both went to the Oilers.

Just my rationalizing the picks ;)

gretzky99

I know Julien Ellise Plante isn't in here, but he good turn out to be a dandy. He would be my sleeper pick for goalies in that draft, as he is arguably right now tops in the Q.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
saskhab said:

Out of the four mentioned Schneider and Dubnyk look to be the best, but if you added Jeff Glass to the list he'd be my first choice (along with a few other people on this board who thought he was way underrated going into the draft last year).

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Brock said:
One thing that is worrysome is that Shantz is having an absolutely horrible season with Mississauga. Michael Ouzas has essentially taken over the number one spot from him for the past month and he's played fantastic for the Dogs.

Shantz is a great goalie, but I don't know whats wrong with him this year.
Part of the same can be said for Peters too. I see Peters more than any other goalie, and he looked so fundamentally strong last year and at the very start of this year, but it seems like he's caving in under the pressure of mounting losses at St. Mike's. At least Peters does have the excuse of being on a miserable team. But still. I'm surprised.

I haven't seen Schneider, so I can't comment on him at all. But right now, Glass and Ellis-Plante are moving up, Shantz and Peters are moving down, and Dubnyk is in a bit of a holding pattern. But I still believe in Shantz and Peters. They'll get back on track at some point, even if it's not until next year.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Blind Gardien said:
Part of the same can be said for Peters too. I see Peters more than any other goalie, and he looked so fundamentally strong last year and at the very start of this year, but it seems like he's caving in under the pressure of mounting losses at St. Mike's. At least Peters does have the excuse of being on a miserable team. But still. I'm surprised.

I haven't seen Schneider, so I can't comment on him at all. But right now, Glass and Ellis-Plante are moving up, Shantz and Peters are moving down, and Dubnyk is in a bit of a holding pattern. But I still believe in Shantz and Peters. They'll get back on track at some point, even if it's not until next year.

Yeah Peters has been much the same, except like you said, he has an excuse (if you want to give him one).

I'm just happy that I drafted both Shantz and Ellis-Plante last year in my sim league. :D

But I agree, I still have faith in both Shantz and Peters. Both very technically sound goalies, who are just going through a really rough spell.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Well the Canucks certainly addressed the lack of depth in their goaltending prospects recently. I still have to give the nod to Schwarz even though I'm pretty stoked on the Schneider pick. I dunno if I'd put Ellis-Plante in the top 5 quite yet, but he's most definitely recovered and looks exceptional this year. I see him being a possible huge steal for Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad