Who's the best winger on the Blues?

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Inspired by the 'Top 30 Left Wing' poll series in the poll section on the main board, I was curios about who Blues fans think is their best winger.

David Perron was voted in at 20th place. McDonald and Steen are still in the polls, and McDonald is getting his butt kicked from the likes of players who's only had one good season. He's even tied with Chris Kunitz, and having seen them together on the Ducks I know that McDonald is twice the player Kunitz is.

Contracts, age and potential aside... Who's the best winger on the Blues up until now when they're all healthy? How do you rank the rest?

Maybe I'm biased, but seeing how I've seen the Blues plenty in recent years because of Kariya and McDonald I think AndyMac is your best winger when he's healthy (again, right now). I could easily see Perron being the better player from now going forward, though.

Last edited:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
No one is close to Macs level of production when he is healthy, but his health is something I take into consideration. His defense is bleh as well.

Going forward, it will probably be Oshie or Perron. Tough question because they are all very different players, except for maybe Steen and Oshie.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
Does anyone have those stats from last year with and without McDonald? It was a pretty drastic difference if I remember correctly. Assuming health, I go with McDonald without much hesitation.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Andy Mac without question. Perron has the brightest future, but as it stands right now, Andy Mac is our most talented winger.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
IMO, Steen is the best all around winger on the team. When he gets hot, he's hot for a long time.

Andy Mac is second, Oshie is last for me. Not a fan of oshie, just too overrated IMO.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Andy Mac for me, he scores at almost a PPG when healthy, thats the only issue, the health. Perron could surpass him this season sure, but right now its McDonald.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Assuming health, it is McDonald. In terms of trade value he is probably the lowest though!

Steen moving to C obviously changes things, but if he had been able to keep up his scoring pace from last season then I think he'd have to be considered the best.

DrVanntastic

Jun 15, 2006
Wentzville, MO
Went with Perron. It was really hard not to go with McDonald, but I put a premium on health. Perron seems to be past his concussion issues. I'm not as sold on McDonald being over his.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Oshie's the best two-way winger, but still gave the nod to McDonald because his offense is the best among the group when healthy (right now) hands down.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I think you have you ask yourself who's the best defender, playmaker, scorer, penalty killer, power play contributor and plays physical against the best players on the other team. Then since it can earn the team an extra point who scores at the highest percentage in shootouts?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
This is tough to choose. Best winger should include all aspects of the game, blended together, to form an overall value to the team in gaining wins. Oshie is the best all-around winger. But, does adding in the value of his defence and physical game vault him above Andy McDonald's higher offensive worth? How does Perron's and Steen's game stand up against theirs?

I'd say that Oshie's overall game is worth more right now than McDonald's better offensive production for The Blues. I'd say that both Steen (on the wing) and Perron are very close to Oshie's worth. I chose Oshie in the poll.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Someone voted for Stewart.

Ha.

Don't really understand the votes for Steen, but I have an admittedly lower opinion of him than most here. Great guy to have on the team and certainly a leader but there's no way I would put him above McDonald, Oshie, or Perron

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
Steen's the most consistent.

Oshie's the best two-way player.

McDonald's the most dynamic offensively.

Perron's the most talented.

Stewart has the most potential.

Voted McDonald for now.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Went with McDonald, with Oshie a close second.

McDonald drives the play forward better than any forward we have, by a pretty wide margin IMO. That coupled with his hockey IQ, his puck possession skills, and his ability to consistently generate chances in the offensive zone regardless of linemates/opposition makes him the top guy in my mind.

I think you can make a strong case for Oshie as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->