Who's the best player in this tournament; Crosby, Bergeron, or Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentNaslund*

Crosby
Bergeron
Jeff Glass
Phaneuf
Oveckin
Malkin

Anyone who thnks Oveckin is better then Crosby is totally ignorant. The last time a foward actually dominated the world Juniors at a men vs boys level, was Ilya Kovalchuk. Ovechkin is nowhere near what Kovalchuk was capable of doing when he was a the world Juniors. Since then, no player really dominated the game until today. Sydney Crosby. On a bad game, he will have 2 goals. Thats how good he is. Every game hes played so far, he looked awesome. He is so strong with the puck like Peter Forsberg.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
2forsbergaura1 said:
hard to say who is the BEST player...easier if u break it down:

BEST SCORER: OVECHKIN

BEST ALL-AROUND: MALKIN and CROSBY

BEST PLAY-MAKER: MALKIN

:lol Malkin a better playmaker than Crosby. :shakehead

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Mothra said:
Lets turn that around.......

how many times have you seen him play?

WJC last year, 4 games last year, WJC this year, 1 game LIVE this year, about 5 times on TV or on the net. That means around 25 games, + some game I see when he was Midget AAA.

I'm just wondering HOW someone who has seen both can like Ovechkin better. That's it.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
markov` said:
WJC last year, 4 games last year, WJC this year, 1 game LIVE this year, about 5 times on TV or on the net. That means around 25 games, + some game I see when he was Midget AAA.

I'm just wondering HOW someone who has seen both can like Ovechkin better. That's it.

Ok....how many times have you seen Ovechkin play?

let me state I have seen Ovechkin play 3 games and Crosby zero...I dont know who is better now.....or who will be better in the future. As for who _will_ be better down the road.....none of us know....and that includes you. You can certainly have your opinion....and thats cool....but other have theirs, and thats cool too...so, again...how many times have you seen Ovechkin play?

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Mothra said:
Ok....how many times have you seen Ovechkin play?

let me state I have seen Ovechkin play 3 games and Crosby zero...I dont know who is better now.....or who will be better in the future. As for who _will_ be better down the road.....none of us know....and that includes you. You can certainly have your opinion....and thats cool....but other have theirs, and thats cool too...so, again...how many times have you seen Ovechkin play?

Last three WJC and at the World Cup.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Anthony Stewart.... :dunce:

But ya...um...they have all been playing great but at this very minute Ovechkin has looked the best IMO. But 5 years down the road Crosby and Ovechkin should be top 5 players in the NHL while Bergeron not so much.

stockbroker

Dec 24, 2004
hmmm. So far:

Crosby 6 goals
Ovechkin 3 goals

Ovechkin is 2 years older.

Tough one to figure out.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
stockbroker said:
hmmm. So far:

Crosby 6 goals
Ovechkin 3 goals

Ovechkin is 2 years older.

Tough one to figure out.

And "supporting cast", and pp design of play, and strength of team, and an incredibly weak German team, all have nothing to do with it. What a joke.

I give Crosby full credit for being a great triggerman who finds the backdoor opening about as well as anyone in the junior game, but playing with Bergeron is worth a hell of a lot since in my opinion (and this is all about opinions, isn't it?) Bergeron is head and shoulders the best forward in the tournament and has proven it over the past year and more - and in the tournament so far as well.

So if you still care

Bergeron>>Crosby=Ovechkin+Malkin, and you might want to think about some of the other forwards performing pretty well right now as well.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
has Canada played a real team in this tournament yet?

Actually, Slovakia, Sweden and Finland (in the pre-tournament) were considered to be real team. If we look at the outcome of their games against Canada, there is two possibility:

1) Canada is too strong for the other teams
2) There is no "real team" in their pool

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
markov` said:

It's actually not that complicated - this is all about opinions based on very (VERY) limited opportunities to actually assess skill. Even you are talking about relatively few times watching him - which is almost certainly many times more than you have seen Malkin or Ovechkin.

I have actually had the opportunity to see Crosby at virtually every level he has played, and while I think he is perhaps the most opportunistic player I have seen, I am not sold on granting him superstar status just yet. I also have not seen a great deal other than solid backdoor play to rave about in this tournament - except for the amazing backhand yesterday which I doubt there are more than a handful of players in Junior in the world could make.

So, I am a fan - but not a fanatic just yet. Sue me.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
markov` said:
Actually, Slovakia, Sweden and Finland (in the pre-tournament) were considered to be real team. If we look at the outcome of their games against Canada, there is two possibility:

I think that Canada just being totally superior has a lot to do with it. Those teams had absolutely not shot at beating or even competing against Canada. And the results dictate that.

stockbroker

Dec 24, 2004
gb701 said:
And "supporting cast", and pp design of play, and strength of team, and an incredibly weak German team, all have nothing to do with it. What a joke.

I give Crosby full credit for being a great triggerman who finds the backdoor opening about as well as anyone in the junior game, but playing with Bergeron is worth a hell of a lot since in my opinion (and this is all about opinions, isn't it?) Bergeron is head and shoulders the best forward in the tournament and has proven it over the past year and more - and in the tournament so far as well.

So if you still care

Bergeron>>Crosby=Ovechkin+Malkin, and you might want to think about some of the other forwards performing pretty well right now as well.
Crosby>>>Bergeron

Look how many penalties Crosby has drawn because he is simply too strong for anyone to contain.

Crosby isn't even playing his rightful position of centre. He has had to sacrifice for Bergeron. I can only imagine Crosby's numbers if he was playing where he should be.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
markov` said:

So how many good prospects does Slovakia have? And there's a thread somewhere around here about Sweden being so bad that it's a 3rd world hockey country now.. that would explain Canada's high scoring, no?

every year the same thing happens, Canada scores a 100 goals in the first 5 games, then the finals come, and all these Crosbies and Spezzas go away somewhere..

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
markov` said:

Right on the first count - and it goes way beyond the first line. No team has been able to handle any of the lines yet, no team can deal with the defence, and the result is that we don't even know how good the tenders are since neither has been seriously challenged. This team is damn good.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
stockbroker said:
Crosby>>>Bergeron

Look how many penalties Crosby has drawn because he is simply too strong for anyone to contain.

Crosby isn't even playing his rightful position of centre. He has had to sacrifice for Bergeron. I can only imagine Crosby's numbers if he was playing where he should be.

So if Crosby is better, why didn't Bergeron sacrifice for Crosby and make him rack up all these points?

stockbroker

Dec 24, 2004
MOGiLNY said:
So if Crosby is better, why didn't Bergeron sacrifice for Crosby and make him rack up all these points?
I suppose the coaching staff has confidence Crosby can adapt to any situation.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
and Bergeron who's played in the NHL and the world championships can't?

or maybe Bergeron is the better player, the coaching staff recognizes that, and plays him in his favourite position to get the most out of him?

Bergeron has really helped Crosby in this tournament IMO

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
So how many good prospects does Slovakia have? And there's a thread somewhere around here about Sweden being so bad that it's a 3rd world hockey country now.. that would explain Canada's high scoring, no?

every year the same thing happens, Canada scores a 100 goals in the first 5 games, then the finals come, and all these Crosbies and Spezzas go away somewhere..

Ok. So I guess there is no real team in their pool.

Oh god... I wish we had more real teams in today's hockey.

:lol

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
stockbroker said:
Crosby>>>Bergeron

Have you ever played the game??

There is no "rightful" position, and he has not had to "sacrifice for Bergeron" - Sutter is playing the line the most effective way a COACH decides to play it, and it appears to be working pretty damn well for both of them. I know that they would both laugh at such an ignorant opinion.

Bergeron comes in with a season of real hockey under his belt, and Crosby has benefitted from passes that nobody else out there would make, while picking up assists on plays like Bergeron's break on the net from the great lead pass - a goal that few players would have been able to make. They are working off each other. It is a concept that the "starmakers" seem to have difficulty with.

A comparison might be to put Bergeron into the position of Gretzky feeding Kurri/Crosby for all the goals - especially on the pp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->