Who's the best offensive minded coach in the NHL

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Another thread of sullivan vs coach Q got me thinking so many coaches play trap or slow hockey. Who's the best up-tempo offensively minded coach in the NHL? One who breeds creativity and speed but still has good structure to their team.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Guy 1-3-1 Boucher

:sarcasm:

Laviolette has that rep

I might agree but the Preds don't really play a "fast game". They like getting pucks deep in the offensive zone and activating their defense. Their offensive zone play is really fun though. Lots of FtoD handoffs and D's exchanging at the line.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Quennville

Hawks always had an outstanding counter attack and movement in the o-zone without sacrificing too many defensive breakdowns. - especially in their glory days. A lot of the successful western conference teams went with physicality and size but the hawks beat them with their speed and skill.

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I might agree but the Preds don't really play a "fast game". They like getting pucks deep in the offensive zone and activating their defense. Their offensive zone play is really fun though. Lots of FtoD handoffs and D's exchanging at the line.
Took Philly to the finals without a goalie right after Simon Gagne's play fell off, Philly top 3 in goals the next 2 years, had a lot of success and I don't know if he's ever had a top 15 forward.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Another vote for Boudreau.

AV isn't a bad vote but he isn't currently coaching. His system is all offense and mostly thoughts and prayers for defense.

Torts and Lavi used to be more in that mold but changed their coaching strategy over the years.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Randy Carlyle is pretty good at allowing the other teams offensive to go all out.... does that count?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
What Alain Vignault got out of NYR offensively was pretty impressive considering they had no elite offensive players

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I disagree with the AV votes. Every time I watched rangers play they always capitalized on other teams mistakes and would always collapse in front of Henrik in the d zone. They would try the home run stretch pass a lot

My homer vote goes to Hynes who preaches fast, attacking, supporting. The devils do not have nearly enough fire power and talent to make him look like a top offensive coach. Devils pinch a lot and are always thinking offensive and in return give up lots of odd man situations. The system is basically you get the puck and you go, do not regroup to keep possession and let the other team set up defensively.

If hynes coached Tampa they would probably average 5 goals per game

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think Cooper has had a good offensive mind as our coach. We are always near the top in goals. We play fast and structured. Only thing I can say is that our offense has gone dry late in the playoffs and Coop is definitely partly responsibly for that. He needs to be better at making offensive adjustments in these situations. So I wouldnt put him as the best offensive mind but hes up there.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Another thread of sullivan vs coach Q got me thinking so many coaches play trap or slow hockey. Who's the best up-tempo offensively minded coach in the NHL? One who breeds creativity and speed but still has good structure to their team.
Was going to say Vigneault until I got to this part. It was literally an EA sports system. Home-run passes, chasing the puck around the D-zone, players flying up ice, no cycling, relying almost completely on excellent goal-tending.

Last edited:
Reactions: FinRanger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad