Who's the best all-time non-Canadian hockey player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It comes down to Hasek or Jagr. Kharlamov would be up there but we never saw how he could play in the NHL so its hard to say. Why in the world Modano is mentioned here is beyond me. Yeah he was consistent but at 80 pts and only one all-star team selection its hard to put him above Kurri, Jagr and Hasek. Modano MIGHT crack the top 5 in all-time American born players but IMO the best non-Canadian ever is a coin flip between Jagr and Hasek with Salming, Statsny and Kurri right there too.

grapeshine

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Gotta go with Kurri. While I was thinking about this the name Pelle Lindbergh sprung to mind, but he doesn't really belong in here. I had a nice laugh at the expense of whoever suggested Loob and Mats Naslund. If Brett Hull wasn't a dual citizen, I would have given him some consideration. I couldn't decide if Stan Mikita should count or not.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
Aki Berg said:
All time : Jari Kurri
Now: Aki

I agree with Kurri. Some will say he was a product of playing with Gretzky, but the way the two of them worked together, it was jaw dropping to watch. Kurri had to be a great player to play that well with Gretz.

I'll ignore the second half of this post. :shakehead

dwkdnvr

Mar 10, 2004
Aki Berg said:

Wrong thread. This belongs in the "Best player with a first name of 'Aki' and last name starting with 'B'" thread. (where he's currently in 2nd place....)

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
arnie said:
Anyone who put Kurri ahead of Jagr just han't been paying attention. Kurri was a great finisher, but his goal scoring total more reflects his good luck at being in the right place at the right time. He is nowhere near the class of a Jagr.

This is ridiculous! Kurri was one of the greatest scorers of all-time, AND one of the best defensive players of all-time. Jagr is a human highlight-reel, but plays about as much defense as Pavel Bure did! He probably cost his teams 100 goals over the course of his career by simply NOT even attempting to follow his man.

My list:
Hasek
LaFontaine
Lidstrom
Kurri
Jagr
Salming

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Hasbro said:
Best by country of orgin:

America **** yeah!: Chelios
Russia: Tretiak
Sweden: Forsberg of Salming
Finland: Kurri
Czech Republic: Jagr or Hasek
Slovakia: Stastny (if you don't want to count him as a Slovak then Bondra I guess)
Germany: Krupp or Kolzig if you want to count him (the names of better German players that never came over escape me)
Switzerland: Aebischer, but I'm sure there are some Swiss leaguers who never came over that are arguably better
Latvia: Ozolinsh or Irbe
Poland: Czercawski
Norway: Knutsen
Lithuania: Kasparitus if you're counting him
Kazakstan: Nabakov if you're counting him

Germany has to be Erich Kuehnhackl. That guy was awesome.

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
santiclaws said:
Tretiak is very overrated. Lots of people give him a lot of props based on rep alone. He was the best Soviet goalie ever--which ain't sayin' much. I watched Tretiak at his peak on a regular basis. He had great reflexes, but was not very good at controlling rebounds. He would've gotten killed in the NHL because he had a tendency to regularly dump rebounds from even weak shots into the middle of the slot. No big deal in Russia, but NHL forwards crashing the net would have buried him (as they did a lot in various NHL-CCCP series).
Hasek's way better. Khabibulin is way better.

I know this forum is all about opinions but are you really serious about Khabibulin being WAY BETTER than Tretiak ???
It's surely hard to compare different era's, but this is just plain BS.. sorry dude.

My list:

Tough one to pick just one...

But okay: Makarov
with honorable mentions for: Larionov, Federov, Modano, Tretiak, Stasny, Kurri and Fetisov.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
arnie said:
Kurri took feeds from Gretzky. Jagr makes things happen. He won scoring championships playing with Kip Miller, for heaven's sake. Kurri played in a nonchecking wide open era of high scoring, Jagr played in the trap era of low scoring. So you cannot compare absolute numbers.

The notion that Kurri played defense is so laughable that I won't even bother responding. Oops. I just did.

And you know nothing about Kurri's game. It was his offence that caused him to be overlooked for the selke every year. Your comment is absolute trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->