Line Combos: Who's our backup goalie and bottom 6 forwards for the 2019-2020 season?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
There were a couple games when monty was called up to sit on the bench as back up... I couldn't understand why they wouldn't give him a chance then, such a dumb decision. I wanted the kid to be in net to see if he can salvage this season... One or two games in the NHL won't mess to his development, whoever made that assessment should not be making any decisions...

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Ultimately, the owners are to blame. They hire the GM and they determine the general expectations. If they don’t establish the right kind of culture of success, the right goals, the winning attitudes, then they fail. And we have failed.

It’s especially a shame and a waste because no team has an infinite window. Wasting one year is like throwing away a third or a quarter of your capital to a dead end investment.

A team that keeps missing playoffs like we do has serious problems. They are not fixed with a piece here or there. I know the signs are clear, DT and Boog will have one more chance next season. But if the owners care even a bit about becoming a good franchise, the preparation for next season must be thorough, diligent, extensive, with the highest expectations for all players. Ekblad must learn to skate. Matheson must stop having panic attacks. Several forwards must get faster. Borg must get stronger. Tallon must get a goalie. Tallon must not trade Hoff. Tippett must show up to camp in the best shape of his life. Boog must learn how to prepare the team for every game. Jackass should leave but if he doesn’t, that old dog has got to learn new defensive tricks.

And the owners really really need to start giving a **** about the customers they use to get their winnings.

Agree that it starts from the owners at the top. They have meddled way too much and they pay lots of lip service to spending big bucks but everything screams budget. We'll see what they do this off season... Going to need to do a lot to convince me they are committed to running a top class org.

It sucks we're stuck with these guys, while our flo bros get the gold standard.

Reactions: KW

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Well, I think the last few games have settled this question. Monty as backup, get rid of Reimer, probably get rid of Luongo, get as much of a top-end goalie as you can (do we really want Bobrovsky? Seems he's as much an injury risk as Lu).

Reactions: I am not exposed

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Ultimately I’d like to ride with Bob as the starter and Lou the backup. Monty has looked good at times but last night showed he’s still got some growing pains left. I just wish Bob would sign at a reasonable rate, I know unlikely to happen.
I’d really rather Luo not come back Becuase he’s is a bandaid at this point, but if Bob gets 60 and Luo gets 20 then I guess I could live.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Ultimately I’d like to ride with Bob as the starter and Lou the backup. Monty has looked good at times but last night showed he’s still got some growing pains left. I just wish Bob would sign at a reasonable rate, I know unlikely to happen.

I have a feeling that Luongo won't want to end his career on a wasted season like this one. If I had to bet, I'd say Lu is our backup next season. Monty starts in the AHL and is a solid #3 in the event of an injury. Who the starter ends up being is yet to be seen. I think they'll go after Bob/Varlamov/Lehner depending on who makes it to UFA, if that fails, they'll have to explore the trade market. It's entirely up in the air at this point, so who knows.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I have a feeling that Luongo won't want to end his career on a wasted season like this one. If I had to bet, I'd say Lu is our backup next season. Monty starts in the AHL and is a solid #3 in the event of an injury. Who the starter ends up being is yet to be seen. I think they'll go after Bob/Varlamov/Lehner depending on who makes it to UFA, if that fails, they'll have to explore the trade market. It's entirely up in the air at this point, so who knows.

Varlamov has not been playing at all for the Avs recently. Not even on back to backs!

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Luongo is at the top of Friedmans 30 thoughts regarding Montembeault taking over and Lu possibly retiring.

Nothing new, still gonna wait until end of the season

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Not sure how he showed that last night when he played all of like 4 minutes. Maybe he doesn't bounce back, but maybe he does. I would bet money he does.

He's let in 2 goals I consider soft and not at all on the defense, the second one last night and the one last week that he slid over a hair too much. There was no pressure on the shot from last night. Looked ***exactly*** like one of the goals Tretiak let up in 1980.

Given the last week of his life, including holding those who hung him out to dry in the Bs game played in front of millions watching (and what seemed to be millions of THEM in OUR building). In being one of the few to not give up on the night, he held the score to make the game look much closer than it was. Especially in the first.

Reactions: pantherbot

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Even as I want Monty and Lu next year, cuz I didn't get it this year until way too late- only worry I have is when one of Monty or Lu got hurt. Likely Lu, but if both then we're suuuuuper funked.

We need Sateri back in Springfield, I think...or someone like him.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Not sure how he showed that last night when he played all of like 4 minutes. Maybe he doesn't bounce back, but maybe he does. I would bet money he does.

He's let in 2 goals I consider soft and not at all on the defense, the second one last night and the one last week that he slid over a hair too much. There was no pressure on the shot from last night. Looked ***exactly*** like one of the goals Tretiak let up in 1980.

Given the last week of his life, including holding those who hung him out to dry in the Bs game played in front of millions watching (and what seemed to be millions of THEM in OUR building). In being one of the few to not give up on the night, he held the score to make the game look much closer than it was. Especially in the first.

Didn't think anyone could pull out a tretiak reference 40 years later, but well done

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

We’ve seen the best goalies in the world unravel Brodeur, Loungo, Roy etc.. The point is when an established goalie unravels you can be confident at some point he will bounce back based on his track record. With Monty we don’t have a track record and the one that we do have is not enough of a sample size to start next season with great confidence. I don’t think anyone on this board can say they are absolutely confident with Monty and what he can do. That’s why I lean towards a guy like Bobrovky if/when he comes we can all be confident that we have a Vezina caliber goalie behind the net.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
We’ve seen the best goalies in the world unravel Brodeur, Loungo, Roy etc.. The point is when an established goalie unravels you can be confident at some point he will bounce back based on his track record. With Monty we don’t have a track record and the one that we do have is not enough of a sample size to start next season with great confidence. I don’t think anyone on this board can say they are absolutely confident with Monty and what he can do. That’s why I lean towards a guy like Bobrovky if/when he comes we can all be confident that we have a Vezina caliber goalie behind the net.
Well I mean I'm obviously that confident and have been...and I don't blame you for feeling that way.

Reactions: IceManCat

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Put me in the category of people suspicious about how the team has completely melted down and suddenly given up 20 goals in 3 games, playing by far their worst hockey of the season...tanking for draft position, anyone? And not particularly good at hiding that fact? They were only mathematically still in it as of the win at Arizona, and Montreal, Columbus, and Carolina all continued to win games...likely Tallon saw the writing on the wall and told them not to try so hard until the last game (end on a high note, per the Cats' usual strategy). There's 6 teams that can still mathematically pass them in the league standings, and 4 that will pass them with a couple wins. That's 4 spots in the draft which is enough to put them within a lottery win of the #3 overall pick, and #1 if those other two teams win the three or four games it would take to overtake the Panthers as well. It may well be what they're playing for.

Think about that, though - season's almost done and they're just about as close to a playoff spot as they are to being a bottom-5 team. That's how bunched up the league's also-rans are in talent.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Put me in the category of people suspicious about how the team has completely melted down and suddenly given up 20 goals in 3 games, playing by far their worst hockey of the season...tanking for draft position, anyone? And not particularly good at hiding that fact? They were only mathematically still in it as of the win at Arizona, and Montreal, Columbus, and Carolina all continued to win games...likely Tallon saw the writing on the wall and told them not to try so hard until the last game (end on a high note, per the Cats' usual strategy). There's 6 teams that can still mathematically pass them in the league standings, and 4 that will pass them with a couple wins. That's 4 spots in the draft which is enough to put them within a lottery win of the #3 overall pick, and #1 if those other two teams win the three or four games it would take to overtake the Panthers as well. It may well be what they're playing for.

Think about that, though - season's almost done and they're just about as close to a playoff spot as they are to being a bottom-5 team. That's how bunched up the league's also-rans are in talent.

Players don't care about the draft.

All that tanking thing is overrated.

No way Tallon told them to "not try so hard".

These guys are professionals and no matter what we can say about them, they'll always try to win.

They've played a lot of hockey the past few weeks, and some good hockey. But they're also human and as the season is coming to an end, they sure lost some motivation knowing that playoffs is out of the picture. But losing or not trying hard on purpose? No way

So I 100% disagree with what you just said and don't buy a single word of it, in all respect.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Players don't care about the draft.

All that tanking thing is overrated.

No way Tallon told them to "not try so hard".

These guys are professionals and no matter what we can say about them, they'll always try to win.

They've played a lot of hockey the past few weeks, and some good hockey. But they're also human and as the season is coming to an end, they sure lost some motivation knowing that playoffs is out of the picture. But losing or not trying hard on purpose? No way

So I 100% disagree with what you just said and don't buy a single word of it, in all respect.
uh huh. You're aware of exactly WHY the league implemented a draft lottery, right?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
acaba de tener otro hijo y nombre él / ella Sergei.

Además, Vatrano necesitará un nuevo número, supongo que es un buen tipo y se lo dará a Bob.
Usually the more senior guy get to pick the number on the jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->