6. W - Jonatan Berggren, 60%
7. W - Evgeny Svechnikov, 76.4%
8. LD - Jared McIsaac, 40.2%
9. RD - Gustav Lindström, 43.9%
10. RD - Vili Saarijärvi, 25.3%

Keith Petruzzelli is the add.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think Regula is definitely raw, but has the most potential on the list among the skaters. I find it hard to pick a goalie in this discussion because the position is such a gamble.

Reactions: Konnan511

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think Regula is definitely raw, but has the most potential on the list among the skaters. I find it hard to pick a goalie in this discussion because the position is such a gamble.

How so exactly? As a prospect is he materially different than Kotkansalo, Setkov or even Holway?

At this point I went with Sulak. No one apart from the goalies has enough pure upside to rank over someone who will play in the NHL this season.

Add Pearson.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Sulak could surprise big time this year, or not. It's a good enough chance imo to vote for him here.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
voted Givani, but I think Setkov has the highest upside of those left

adds left: Pearson, Holmstrom, Fulcher, Adams, Puempel, Ehn, O'Reilly, others

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
How so exactly? As a prospect is he materially different than Kotkansalo, Setkov or even Holway?

At this point I went with Sulak. No one apart from the goalies has enough pure upside to rank over someone who will play in the NHL this season.

Add Pearson.

As a 24 year old defenseman having played virtually no hockey on North American ice, how much of an impact player can you actually believe that Sulak becomes?

I know I have mentioned beyond the first few prospects that I am picking based on my perceived upside or value a player has to the Wings in the future. Regula is raw, but he has the most time to develop, has the size + right handed shot to fill a need that we are sorely lacking in the pipeline. I don't think anyone on this list to be much more of a #4 at best defenseman or a bottom 6 forward, so I am picking the player that fits the greatest need the organization has, balanced defensive depth.

Reactions: Winger98

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Absolutely crazy to see Saarjiarvi ahead of Hicketts imo.

I felt this way years ago and the last two years have only swung things further in hicketts favour.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I felt this way years ago and the last two years have only swung things further in hicketts favour.

Hicketts is still 5'6" and it seriously limits where you can put him on these for some of us. He just doesn't project as an impact guy. I struggle to put him or Holmstrom up the list because of the serious issues in their games translating over a full calendar at the NHL level.

His early stint was okay, but I saw some of the problems I expect him to encounter at the NHL level. While you don't want to be critical on those right out of the gate. You cannot dismiss why they are happening to him either and the fact his reach isn't going to get better and his skating isn't really even average by NHL standards and that is a huge problem for an undersized guy. But it won't be lack of effort or working to get better if Hicketts cannot make it stick at the NHL level, just I don't feel he is a long-term NHL player without a lot more improvement when I watch him play.

Vili has exceptional passing gifts and skating gifts. He has a ton to work on as well, but his areas of developmental need lend themselves to a brighter projection if he takes the appropriate steps.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Givani Smith

Add Pearson... would almost consider him for this round if he was an option.

My exact feelings on this. I have Pearson over the guy leading this vote (Hicketts) on my list.

Larsson is also in the mix for me at this point even with goalies being tough to project.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hicketts looked pretty impactful in his brief NHL appearance to me. He was hitting, playing with grit, put up some pts, and was a plus player. The way he played is why I really like him, because you can tell he is a guy who competes every night. He made more impact in 5 games, than DDK did all last year. I don't think he will be a star or anything, but I truly believe he plays more meaningful NHL games, than either Lindstrom or Sarajarvi.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Larsson has the biggest upside on the board. I don't like picking goalies, but the rest of the guys up there have some serious questions that go beyond just goalies being nut jobs. I think people are sleeping a bit on Smith, too. The guy plays a game that will translate very well to the NHL, and a game the Wings seem to be building towards embracing.

Add Pearson.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Depends on what your criteria is.

I value upside over readiness when I do these, and if Saarijarvi can reach his ceiling he will be a much more impactful player IMO.

It's why I never used to rate Joakim Andersson high when we did this... he was closer to pro-ready than most of our prospect base for a long time, but I never saw him as more than a depth guy.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It's why I never used to rate Joakim Andersson high when we did this... he was closer to pro-ready than most of our prospect base for a long time, but I never saw him as more than a depth guy.

Since you brought this up, I'm curious how it worked out since we have the benefit of looking back and maybe getting an idea of the "best" way to do it (although there will always be diifering opinions on that)

Did any of your guys that had a long way to go, but high upside actually turn out, or is it filled with stuff like "give me Marek Tvrdon over Jokaim Andersson" and "Give me Hampus Melen over Riley Sheahan"?

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Since you brought this up, I'm curious how it worked out since we have the benefit of looking back and maybe getting an idea of the "best" way to do it (although there will always be diifering opinions on that"

Did any of your guys that had a long way to go, but high upside actually turn out, or is it filled with stuff like "give me Marek Tvrdon over Jokaim Andersson" and "Give me Hampus Melen over Riley Sheahan"?

Good question, I think it's always going to be subjective at the end of the day. Off the top of my head Janmark is an example of guy who had a long way to go and turned into something pretty solid.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm pretty low on Hicketts personally

his disappointing season in the AHL last year was something of a nail in the coffin of a guy I wasn't all that high on to begin with for me

he'll probably get some more NHL games this year but honestly I really don't think he sticks in the NHL long term at all(and even if he does I see him as a low end guy)

might be enough to squeak into my top 20 maybe but not my top 15

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
As a 24 year old defenseman having played virtually no hockey on North American ice, how much of an impact player can you actually believe that Sulak becomes?

I know I have mentioned beyond the first few prospects that I am picking based on my perceived upside or value a player has to the Wings in the future. Regula is raw, but he has the most time to develop, has the size + right handed shot to fill a need that we are sorely lacking in the pipeline. I don't think anyone on this list to be much more of a #4 at best defenseman or a bottom 6 forward, so I am picking the player that fits the greatest need the organization has, balanced defensive depth.

I personally don't see how size+development time + handedness relates to overall upside. Had you mentioned hockey IQ and skating I might have bought what you are saying. It honestly tells me next to nothing about how a prospect plays hockey and how his strength's and weaknesses make him more likely than other prospects to break through at the next level.

I am with you in that I don't think anyone left on the board projects to be more than a 5/6 defensemen (maybe middle pair under optimal conditions). Hell, the most likely outcome is that none of them make the NHL. That is why I landed on the most NHL ready of them. Like you, I don't expect Sulak to have much of an impact on the team. Then again, you haven't told me why Regula is expected to have any more of an impact.

The strange thing is that I really like Regula as a prospect. I just think people are getting ahead of themselves a bit with the 2018 class and overrating where some of these guys actually are in their development.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Hicketts is still 5'6" and it seriously limits where you can put him on these for some of us. He just doesn't project as an impact guy. I struggle to put him or Holmstrom up the list because of the serious issues in their games translating over a full calendar at the NHL level.
His early stint was okay, but I saw some of the problems I expect him to encounter at the NHL level. While you don't want to be critical on those right out of the gate. You cannot dismiss why they are happening to him either and the fact his reach isn't going to get better and his skating isn't really even average by NHL standards and that is a huge problem for an undersized guy. But it won't be lack of effort or working to get better if Hicketts cannot make it stick at the NHL level, just I don't feel he is a long-term NHL player without a lot more improvement when I watch him play.
Vili has exceptional passing gifts and skating gifts. He has a ton to work on as well, but his areas of developmental need lend themselves to a brighter projection if he takes the appropriate steps.

During last preseason I felt Hickett’s size was exposed so you’re not being unreasonable however Hicketts is listed at 5’8 on every single source I have seen. He is also a thiccboi more capable of playing out of his weight class than VS imo.

Second on this note, I felt he looked a lot better when he played during the regular season. FWIW.

I don't feel he is a long-term NHL player without a lot more improvement when I watch him play.

I don't feel this point favours either player TBH. Both probably cap out as 3rd pairing dmen with PP upside.

I would also contend that Hickett's gifts are every bit as quality as Saarijarvi's while being much further along in his development curve. And this is the key for me. Similar upside with one guy having accomplished quite a bit more up until this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Delete - TZE summed up my thoughts on this

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad