Who's most responsible for Bruins great defensive record?

Who's most responsible?

• Bergeron

• Chara

• Marchand

• Thomas/Rask

• Julien/Cassidy

Results are only viewable after voting.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Claude.

He set up the system that enabled every player to maximize defensively. Now, with Bruce they maximize offensively while still mastering the defense.

All elite or Hall of Fame players but I think the most credit goes to Claude. We owe a lot to him. Hell, Claude turned Savard into a player who could PK and buy into a team system.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I think the real answer is Clode. He created an incredible defensive system and got all of his players to whole heartedly buy into it. Even though he's not here anymore it shaped the careers of guys like Marchand Bergeron and Krejci to constantly focus on the defensive aspect of the game. I think Marchand especially benefited from Clode.

I think Chara is the second biggest reason- best shutdown dman in the world playing for the best defensive coach in the league. Just a beautiful match.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
This is between big z and Bergeron. Clode ain’t there for me. I think Clode success has alot to do with bruins leadership, starting with Z and Bergeron.
Imo Bergeron brought the defensive game to another level. His game IQ is just at another level as his determintation to play a 3 zones game.

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Usually a Stanley cup winning team has a mix of everyone contributing at a similar level relative to their position.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is between big z and Bergeron. Clode ain’t there for me. I think Clode success has alot to do with bruins leadership, starting with Z and Bergeron.
Imo Bergeron brought the defensive game to another level. His game IQ is just at another level as his determintation to play a 3 zones game.

I voted Bergeron but Julien was certainly a big help to Bergeron developing the way he did.

Reactions: BRUINS since 1995

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Claude.

He set up the system that enabled every player to maximize defensively. Now, with Bruce they maximize offensively while still mastering the defense.

All elite or Hall of Fame players but I think the most credit goes to Claude. We owe a lot to him. Hell, Claude turned Savard into a player who could PK and buy into a team system.

I was never shy about criticizing Claude, but you’re right on Savard. He deserves a lot of credit for turning a one dimensional player into an all around great player.

I also remember Brad Marchand saying that Claude did wonders for his game.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
If you go on the main board....
  • Cassidy is no good because he coaches a loaded team.
  • Rask is no good because he plays behind a great defense.
  • The defense is no good because Chara is too slow, and Krug and Grzelcyk are too small.
  • Bergeron is good, but overrated and is only a Selke nominee based on reputation.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
  • The defense is no good because Chara is too slow, and Krug and Grzelcyk are too small.
  • Bergeron is good, but overrated and is only a Selke nominee based on reputation.

Case and point why I never venture to the main board. Sounds like a lot of jealous bed wetter cry babies.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I voted Bergeron but Julien was certainly a big help to Bergeron developing the way he did.
Maybe and probably you are correct. But i think Bergeron was also a big help for Julien success in Boston. Remember, Julien got kicked out of Montreal and New Jersey.....
alot of Julien success Boston is also on Bruins top players leadership and team culture!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Overall for the last decade, Chara. How many full pk shifts has he had over the years against some of the best players in the world? There was a solid 6-7 years where he was just rock solid, ice in the veins, as reliable as you'll ever fine.

Now, it's Bergeron, and you can say much of the same for him as is said about Chara during his prime years...and Bergeron, if trends held true, would be on a steep decline at this point

That's if I had to pick just one guy. It really is a full team effort top to bottom. You could easily make a case for Julien instilling such a strong emphasis on defense too.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Maybe and probably you are correct. But i think Bergeron was also a big help for Julien success in Boston. Remember, Julien got kicked out of Montreal and New Jersey.....
alot of Julien success Boston is also on Bruins top players leadership and team culture!

The year before Julien took over the Bruins had Chara (-21), Bergeron (-28) & Thomas (3.13 GAA) in goal. They were 29th out of 30 teams in goals allowed. Last in the Northeast division standings.

So where did that team culture come from?

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
The year before Julien took over the Bruins had Chara (-21), Bergeron (-28) & Thomas (3.13 GAA) in goal. They were 29th out of 30 teams in goals allowed. Last in the Northeast division standings.

So where did that team culture come from?
Dave Lewis was Dave Lewis. Btw where is Dave Lewis now just to know...
Claude Julien was a big part of the team culture......but players especially your leaders need to buy it. And in Boston’s case, they did buy in a system hard to play and dedicated to team spirit first. Julien got run out of NJ while in first place for some reason..... that he did not met in Boston. Their is a reason some players took Bostons number (home discount) instead of going on the freemarket to get more money...their is also a reason why Bruins went three times to the SC final with this leadership core group and their is also a reason they have been a top team for more than a decade now with two different coaches....
Don’t get me wrong... I loved Claude Julien! He was superb in Boston but this core groupe leaded by Z and Bergeron, including DK, Rask, Marchand and those before (Ference etc..) was/is just so special and Bergeron in my pov is Boston heart and soul for a while now.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I think it’s Claude. He gets lost in the shuffle because of how good the teams been without him but if we had gone in a different direction after Lewis, who knows where this team would be. I think when all is said and done, guys like Bergy, Krejci, Marchand will let us all know the impact Claude had on their careers and how they developed.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
This thread has me thinking back to this whole era. How lucky have we been!

Also reminded me of the epic 2011 team zoom call that feels like it happened in the 1980s with how much has happened in the world since then.

Quite possibly the only good thing that has come out of the last 4 months

barstool

Nov 22, 2014
I think it's the team leadership that makes this wagon roll.
I don't watch the Canadians much but Claude hasn't seemed to have much impact there.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Chara 60 % on ice and as captain
Bergeron 20% on ice and as a leader
Coaching 20% communicating the x's and o's

Even with all the hype he gets, Z is so criminally underestimated in what he accomplishes out there.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I've got to go with coaching. They had Chara, Bergeron, and Thomas in 06-07, but finished 29th in goals against. There weren't a bunch of major additions, but firing Lewis and hiring Julien improved their goals against ranking from 29th to 12th. They've finished in the top 5 every year from 2008-09 to current, other than the 2 year stretch from 2014-15 to 2016-17.

Chara, Bergeron, and the goaltending matters, but the system is key.

This^

Oh it certainly helps to have a future HHOF #1 defenseman on your team but IMO with the system they've put in place since Julien took over the drop off shouldn't be that steep on defense once #33 retires.

The Bruins have basically made everyone on the team responsible for defense and held everyone accountable which is key.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Shit like this is why I don't go on the main board :nod:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I think it's the team leadership that makes this wagon roll.
I don't watch the Canadians much but Claude hasn't seemed to have much impact there.

The Canadiens roster is one of the worst in the NHL but he and Price have them at least a borderline playoff team!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
For me it’s the 6’9 freak we’ve had for 15 years that still shuts down opposing teams (even if he does handle the puck like a grenade)

Then Julien/Cassidy

then Rask/Thomas

then Bergeron

then Marchand

Reactions: Over the volcano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad