Who's got the better defence....Canada or USA??

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm still not convinced that the US has a better top 2. JJ was around a minus-6 at the tourney last year. Marc Staal was tabbed as top D.

Other than hype and draft order, what makes those two better? Head-to-head last year they were not as good as the Canadians.

Johnson was actually -4, but had six points and led the tourney in penalty minutes (not to mention was a media All-Star). Staal was +3 and had one point while winning the Directorate Award. I have no problems saying Staal and Ryan Parent were the top pairing at last year's tourney, but both Johnsons played well and produced, while taking on a HUGE workload (too much actually). As for what makes Johnson and Johnson better than guys like Staal, Parent, and Bourdon, I guess it comes down to personal opinion. I happen to think both Johnsons are better at every facet of the game than anyhing Canada has to offer, but that's me.

Last edited:

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
I think if I had to pick a defence I'd pick Canada's for this tournament at this time. USA has some better talent they just don't seem to mesh as a whole as good as Canada's defence which was just too good last year not to pick them.

USA has some big time future potential but this tournament is being played at the end of the month, not in 5 years. Brian Lee is a big time name around here for his potential not current ability.

Depth I think is important in these tournaments because of the depth of scoring talent upfront on all the teams can really punish a weak 3rd pairing.

Here is a scary thought... if you think about it... what would team "North America " defence look like?

Staal - Parent would be the top pair, to shut down opposing teams top forward line.

EJ - JJ would the second pair, and first power play unit.

Bourdon - Letang

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think if I had to pick a defence I'd pick Canada's for this tournament at this time. USA has some better talent they just don't seem to mesh as a whole as good as Canada's defence which was just too good last year not to pick them.

USA has some big time future potential but this tournament is being played at the end of the month, not in 5 years. Brian Lee is a big time name around here for his potential not current ability.

Depth I think is important in these tournaments because of the depth of scoring talent upfront on all the teams can really punish a weak 3rd pairing.

Here is a scary thought... if you think about it... what would team "North America " defence look like?

Staal - Parent would be the top pair, to shut down opposing teams top forward line.

EJ - JJ would the second pair, and first power play unit.

Bourdon - Letang

Brian Lee is an excellent player right now. I don't know where you get the idea he's a project-especially at the NCAA/Junior level.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
As for what makes Johnson and Johnson better than guys like Staal, Parent, and Bourdon, I guess it comes down to personal opinion. I happen to think both Johnsons are better at every facet of the game than anyhing Canada has to offer, but that's me.

They may be better prospects and better point producers but if I had to pick 1 pair to play against the opposing teams top offensive line I pick Stall and Parent over them without a doubt, so clearly EJ and JJ aren't better at every facet.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Brian Lee is an excellent player right now. I don't know where you get the idea he's a project-especially at the NCAA/Junior level.

I never said he was a project or that he wasn't an excellent player right now. My point was that he might be a bigger name and have more hype than a guy like Parent but its based on his NHL potential and I'd rather have Parent for this tournament.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
They may be better prospects and better point producers but if I had to pick 1 pair to play against the opposing teams top offensive line I pick Stall and Parent over them without a doubt, so clearly EJ and JJ aren't better at every facet.

That's your opinion. I don't happen to share it.

ndhockey21

Aug 1, 2004
North Dakota
Chorney was on the team last year and has been UND's most dependable dman this season so far.

I like USA's top 4 with Canada's top 4 but after that Canada wins. I really think USA should have included Sauer on the roster.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

I agree with what you're alluding too; but the difference between both country's D-core last year was coaching, not 'current ability'. In fact, talent wise, the Americans and Russians were easily better than Canada last year. However, you'd be hard pressed to find a better coached TEAM than last year's Canadian WJC.

No disrespect to Sandelin or Kyle, but if the Americans could get some competent coaching, I think their top-end talent would shine through and it would be obvious that US defense>Canada defense.

BTW, Brian Lee's current ability is fantastic. If he was Canadian, he'd be a lock for team Canada as well.

Last edited:
I agree with what you're alluding too; but the difference between both country's D-core last year was coaching, not 'current ability'. In fact, talent wise, the Americans and Russians were easily better than Canada last year. However, you'd be hard pressed to find a better coached TEAM than last year's Canadian WJC.

No disrespect to Sandelin or Kyle, but if the Americans could get some competent coaching, I think their top-end talent would shine through and it would be obvious that US defense>Canada defense.

BTW, Brian Lee's current ability is fantastic. If he was Canadian, he'd be a lock for team Canada as well.

You're exaggerating just a tad.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
What if Michael Sauer and Bobby Sanguinetti were added to team USA. :sarcasm: This would give team USA much more talent AND depth.

You are correct, if Saguinetti and Sauer were added to Team USA they would definitely have more talent and depth because they would have 9 D-men in total against Canada's 7 D-men. Thank you for pointing that out.

espo*

You're exaggerating just a tad.

He is exaggerating more then just a tad.The U.S team last year was probably a little more talented then the Canadian team while the Russian team was not as talented as the Canadian squad from top to bottom i'd say aside from Malkin. but when you have much more skilled players on the back end like Canada did over the Russians a guy like Malkin won't save you and he did'nt.

He is not exagerating about the coaching part though,Canada had superior coaching to both other teams for sure.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
The two JJ's are certainly the number one pair coming into this tourney. After that though, it is all Canada.

Last edited:

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
That's your opinion. I don't happen to share it.

but his opinion is backed up by the fact that Staal-Parent shut down the best non-NHL player in the world last year. I like the Johnson's better as prospects, but I'd be hard pressed to say that the Johnson's are a better shut down pair until they actually do what Staal and Parent have already done.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
what if, Vlaisc was added on defense? what if Crosby, Staal, Brule, Latendresse were added to Canada's offense?

completely differant. those players wheren't released by they're teams to play. Sauer and Sanguinetti where not selected by team USA. His comment was a shot at USA hockey, it didn't really have much to do with team Canada.

..but this is a debate best left to the USA WJC thread.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
All of Canada's top 6 are all of higher quality than any USA dman not named Johnson Johnson or Lee... and most can be argued to be better than Lee.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I've watched Lee quite a bit on satellite and he would not, I repeat would not make the Canadian team. He simply isn't physical enough to play for Team Canada.

Perhaps on the small ice surface........but it's a whole different ballgame on the big ice. Not that physical play isn't important, but mobility is more vital for a d-man in the international game than physical play - something I'm sure the Canadian brass is well aware of.
Considering this, I'd put Lee in Canada's top 4 with Staal, Parent and Bourdon.

In addition, his current 13pts in 16gms at UND easily translates to over a ppg in the CHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->