Who's going into the Hall of Fame from the 2003 Draft?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bergeron is a lock.

I feel like Getzlaf is extremely, extremely likely. Thing with Getzlaf is that he's been kind of a quiet star his whole career. Perry took a bit of shine away with that one monster season, but Getzlaf has been very consistent and well-rounded. Good playoff performer, won the Cup, and has a great International resume.

Burns and Weber are kind of one in the same, albeit in very different ways. One emerged and then burned out too early (relatively speaking), and the other emerged too late. They have a chance, but aren't in that top category IMO. Staal was similar to Weber for a bit although he's enjoying quite the renaissance in Minnesota.

I would never put Fleury in. He has some huge landmark moments in his career, but so many negatives as well.

Suter and Pavelski are very non-flashy picks. Doubt they get in.

Reactions: b in vancouver

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bergeron is a lock.

I'm not sure if he is a lock, but he is really close.

I feel like Getzlaf is extremely, extremely likely. Thing with Getzlaf is that he's been kind of a quiet star his whole career. Perry took a bit of shine away with that one monster season, but Getzlaf has been very consistent and well-rounded. Good playoff performer, won the Cup, and has a great International resume.

Agree, Getzlaf is pretty close to a lock right now.

Burns and Weber are kind of one in the same, albeit in very different ways. One emerged and then burned out too early (relatively speaking), and the other emerged too late. They have a chance, but aren't in that top category IMO.

Burns is 33 and still going strong. How long he stay relevant is very important to his case.

If he has another 2 years at this years level he is in the mix.

Weber was tracking very well then injuries last year and this year make it unclear.

His international resume might push him in over the top before Burns

Also his Norris voting has been 2,2,3,4,4,6,7,8, 10 over his 9 year prime, that's going to be hard to keep him out IMO.

Staal was similar to Weber for a bit although he's enjoying quite the renaissance in Minnesota.

Staal is compiling but he won't make it.

I would never put Fleury in. He has some huge landmark moments in his career, but so many negatives as well.

I was in that camp and then he went to Vegas and now it depends on what happens.

that being said goalies have the toughest path and I'm not sure he makes it.

Suter and Pavelski are very non-flashy picks. Doubt they get in.

Both guys are very under rated.

A good playoff run would help Suter big time.

Pavelski is 34 and simply is going to run out of time and lacks a real big season and that high peak.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Bergeron is the only lock. My gut reaction wants to say Getzlaf is pretty much a lock as well, but when I look at his numbers and lack of awards compared to some other players, I'm not 100% sure if he is a lock. On the other hand, Eric Staal doesn't really jump to mind in the same way Getzlaf does but I think he might be just as worthy.

I think those 3 will make it. MAF is pretty likely too.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
No locks. History has shown that 2003 wasn’t as great a draft as originally thought. Certainly not as top heavy as thought.

Bergeron might. Unless I missed someone, he would join Bob Gainey as the only forward to never have recorded a PPG season in 50 years. One of the weaker inductions.

Like Bob Gainey, Bergeron is one of the greatest defensive forwards this game has seen.

Reactions: Flamesss

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
- Currently 10th in wins (will be top 5, possibly as high as 3rd by the time he retires)
- Currently 8th in playoff wins (also will be possibly as high as 3rd by the time he retires)

How does a goalie with the 3rd most wins of all time not get into the HOF? Say what you want about how good his teams were. He never played on a team with a top defense. And his position is the single most important position in all of team sports.

0 individual awards
Never even in the top-5 for Vezina voting
In his time with the Penguins, they won more Cups with him as the backup than as the starter.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The dead puck era ended after their rookie season, no?

No, these guys played in only 2 non-dead puck seasons right after the lost season and being 1st and 2nd year players yet to reach their offensive prime. This class has played in a pretty repressed offensive era. Can't compare their offensive stats to players from the 70s,80s and early 90s

100 Point Players Per Season

LOST SEASON 2004-05

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Here are the forwards who were drafted at the beginning of the dead puck era - 1997-2002 drafts -

Thornton, Marleau, Hossa, Nash, Datsyuk, Richards, Lecavalier, Sedin twins, Zetterberg, Heatley, Kovalchuk, Spezza

Who's getting in from this group?

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Let me know when Osgood gets in, after that we'll discuss whether Fleury, who's been average to good to underwhelming during most of his time in Pittsburgh, should even get a sniff.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
No, these guys played in only 2 non-dead puck seasons right after the lost season and being 1st and 2nd year players yet to reach their offensive prime. This class has played in a pretty repressed offensive era. Can't compare their offensive stats to players from the 70s,80s and early 90s

100 Point Players Per Season

LOST SEASON 2004-05

Um, I agree 100% that scoring is lower of late and that the point totals of the 2003 draftees cannot be compared directly to the high flying 80s and early 90s.

But the "dead puck era" is generally taken by most people to mean the period lasting from the mid-90s to the 2004/05 lockout.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
All those arguing that you could have put any goalie behind those Pens teams and still won 3+ cups can't also argue that he's middle of the pack in SV% and GAA behind those same Pens teams that were terrible defensively. You can't have it both ways.

Why not? Plenty of goalies have put up good numbers on teams that aren't anything special on the back end. That's what a Hall of Famer should do.

In the 10 season stretch from 2008 to 2017, Pittsburgh was 16th in shots against in the NHL. Fleury was 21st in sv% during that span among goalies who played 250+ games, tied with James Reimer (you wanna talk about a guy with dogshit defense in front of him his whole career...).

The problem with the MA Fleury For HOF arguments is that they basically fall apart when you ask this simple question: "Did he play well?". The answer to that is "sometimes". Compare his peaks, valleys, consistency, stats, etc to a true Hall of Fame calibre goalie like Lundqvist or Luongo, and it's clear he doesn't belong in that group. Was his time in Pittsburgh any better than what Ryan Miller did in Buffalo?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I mentioned this a few years back when the signs of decline started to show for a lot of guys, that it's strange how the supposed strongest draft ever has very few Hall of Fame locks. Bergeron in my opinion is the only lock, with a few guys on the fence and a lot of guys that flamed out in a big way.

Still an incredible draft, I think helped by the lockout that gave a number of guys some extra time to develop. Right up there with the 79 and 89 drafts.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Here are the forwards who were drafted at the beginning of the dead puck era - 1997-2002 drafts -

Thornton, Marleau, Hossa, Nash, Datsyuk, Richards, Lecavalier, Sedin twins, Zetterberg, Heatley, Kovalchuk, Spezza

Who's getting in from this group?

I think you'll see discussion for every single one of those guys at some point. In general, I'd bet that over half that group will make it in.

Thornton
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
H. Sedin
D. Sedin
Hossa
Lecavalier
Marleau (understand many might disagree, but he could be all-time NHL games played leader, >1200 points, etc.)

3-4 NHL players are admitted every year. There are some older names that still could be admitted after a longer wait. And obviously there are players drafted in those years who play other positions that will go into the HHOF. But if every single one of those guys got in, it'd only add up to a little over 2 players per year. I'm not predicting that they'll all make it. Just pointing out that if HHOF admitting practices don't change, there will be room to let a lot of players in.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
It’s scary to think that we are even having this discussion. Time flies, 2003 was a legendary draft :)

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Why not? Plenty of goalies have put up good numbers on teams that aren't anything special on the back end. That's what a Hall of Famer should do.

In the 10 season stretch from 2008 to 2017, Pittsburgh was 16th in shots against in the NHL. Fleury was 21st in sv% during that span among goalies who played 250+ games, tied with James Reimer (you wanna talk about a guy with dog**** defense in front of him his whole career...).

The problem with the MA Fleury For HOF arguments is that they basically fall apart when you ask this simple question: "Did he play well?". The answer to that is "sometimes". Compare his peaks, valleys, consistency, stats, etc to a true Hall of Fame calibre goalie like Lundqvist or Luongo, and it's clear he doesn't belong in that group. Was his time in Pittsburgh any better than what Ryan Miller did in Buffalo?

As somebody who thought Ryan Miller in BUF was slightly overrated, I believe Miller was much more important to Buffalo as opposed to Fleury to Pittsburgh.

A team with Crosby and Malkin in their prime could play with an empty net and still win games.
In the grand scheme of things, Fleury is a huge bust who failed to deliver on his potential in juniors. At this point I'm very comfortable to say that for the majority of his career he was one of the weakest goalies when it comes to mentality.
He's the typical "when it rains it pours" type of goalie. When he shits the bed, it's Amazon flooding and he could have made a good amount of money with an adult diaper endorsement with how incontinent he was in those regards (to keep up with the theme).

Fleury making it into the Hall of Fame is a slap in the face to all the other goalies who are/were much better than him yet never had the benefit of playing behind two (3 if you want to count Lemieux and be technical) generational talents.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Bergeron is legitimately as much a lock to get in the HOF as Crosby and Ovy. It's 100% happening and there's zero doubt about it. It will be deserved.

Fleury will make it. He absolutely shouldn't. But he will.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Agree with Getzlaf, Bergeron and Weber.

Staal will be an interesting case near the borderline. It will probably depend on how his career ends. Will he be able to substantially separate himself from guys like Lecavalier or Richards?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I genuinely have no clue how people can legitimately argue against Fleury being a lock. You are aware he has 3 cups, 5 finals appearances and has 422 wins at age 34? Just because people on here care more about individual awards doesn't mean the HOF does. Fleury is very likely to end up 2nd all time in wins in the NHL, they're not keeping him out of the HOF because he didn't win a Vezina.

Fleury is a lot more comparable to Fuhr than he is to Osgood. Fuhr is in the HOF, and Osgood will probably end up there eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad