Who's D is better?

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Would like some opinions on who's D you would have taken, the 2010 US Olympic D corp (Johnson, Johnson, Suter, Orpik, Rafalski, Whitney, Gleason, Martin, Komisarek)
or a hypothetical 1980 US Olympic Team D corp as proposed:

Mark Howe
Gary Sargent
Rod Langway
Reed Larson
Dave Langevin
Mike O'Connell
Ken Morrow
Craig Norwich
Mike Milbury

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Probably the 1980 version. There are two HHOFers in that group. Langway wasn't too far removed from his future Norris' at that time and Howe was very good in 1980.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I thought Howe was still playing at forward in that season but I could be wrong.

80 version has more experience and the 10 version has a bunch of young guys still climbing the ladder, it would be very close but since Milbury wouldn't play and be the 8th guy i might take the 80 version.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
I thought Howe was still playing at forward in that season but I could be wrong.

80 version has more experience and the 10 version has a bunch of young guys still climbing the ladder, it would be very close but since Milbury wouldn't play and be the 8th guy i might take the 80 version.

Howe played both forward & D that year for Hartford.

Most people including me originally thought the same thing about the 1980 team having more experience & the 2010 team having younger guys. However here is the ages they would be at the end of 1980 and 2010.

Milbury - 28 Rafalski - 37
Sargent- 26 Orpik - 30
Langevin -26 Martin - 29
Howe - 25 Komisarek - 28
O'Connell - 25 Whitney - 27
Larson - 24 Gleason - 27
Morrow - 24 Suter - 25
Langway- 23 Johnson - 23
Roberts - 23 Johnson - 23

In terms of age the 1980 group is on average close to 3 years younger. With the average age at 24.8 for the 1980 group and 27.7 for the 2010 group.

I also would give a slight nod to the 1980 group. Some of you younger members may not be familiar with players like Sargent and Langevin but each bought a solid dimension to the table. Sargent at the end of the 1978-79 season was generally regarded as one of the top 3 dmen from the US. He was very good offensively and solid on d and was tough, a very good player, while Langevin was solid defensively. I'd forgotten about Gord Roberts earlier and substitute him for Norwich. Getting consideration also but not on my list were Craig Norwich, Jack Brownschidle, Rick Chartraw and Mike Ramsey (who was 19 until December 1980).

Last edited:

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Detinitely the 1980 group. Jack Johnson, though he played well in those olympics is overrated. Whitney leaves me quite cold and I do not even want to talk about Komisarek.

Howe Langway Larson, Morrow Langevin and spotting Oconnell works in terms of mix, depth and talent

Heading into the 1979-80 season cursed6, Gary Sargent was clearly better than Mike O'Connell. Sargent was one of the top 3 US dman at that time.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
1980, by far. Orpik, Whitney, Jack Johnson and Komisarek ? That's just bad.

Komisarek & Whitney I'm on board with you. However Brooks Orpik is an excellent defenseman, one of the top 10 shutdown dmen in hockey w/o question. Jack Johnson is a more than adequate offensive dman, far superior in overall ability
than Whitney and flat out much better than Komisarek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad