Who's better than Justin Pogge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViperOne

Jul 26, 2005
MaDdY said:
All this love for Pogge is coming out only because he beat out Price for the job in the WJC. Many of the leaf fans are considering this a blow to the Habs.

It has been confirmed that Price had the starting job but when he told Sutter that he does not practice on gamedays, Sutter didn't like that too much and cut him on the spot. Price is young and will get his shot at the WJC yet.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
tcooke said:
It has been confirmed that Price had the starting job but when he told Sutter that he does not practice on gamedays, Sutter didn't like that too much and cut him on the spot. Price is young and will get his shot at the WJC yet.

No, Price was not going to be the starter.

It is alleged that he was cut from the WJC "squad" because he doesn't practice on gamedays and so Dubnyk took his spot.

mooseOAK*

tcooke said:
From Sutter's comments afterwards it appeared that he had Pogge targeted as his starter from day one.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My god, one WJC win and Pogge is like the second coming of Jesus all of a sudden.

Don't get me wrong, he did well and certainly helped the team win gold. But that was a hell of a defence he had in front of him, so it's not like he had to carry this team. People are really devaluing this year's Canada squad only because it has to be in the shadow of that juggernaut 05 edition (the likes of which we'll never see again). Now we have the topic creator who almost seems like he's claiming that Pogge singlehandedly won them the gold.

And although I know I'm biased because I'm a Sharks fan, but I really love Greiss. It's not just a great story of a kid holding his own against the men. It's a kid absolutely destroying the men.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
badrobot101 said:
Jeff Glass - if he's so great, how come he's in the ECHL? I'm not being catty here, I'm just genuinely perplexed. Are the guys in Binghamton that much better? I realize this is Glass' first year as a pro, but regardless it's puzzling to me.
The other two in the AHL are more experienced pros, although Thompson has been awful. Glass will get to play more in the ECHL so that helps his development. Plenty of great goalies have played in the ECHL.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
SensGuy said:
The other two in the AHL are more experienced pros, although Thompson has been awful. Glass will get to play more in the ECHL so that helps his development. Plenty of great goalies have played in the ECHL.

not to mention that the ECHL is a goalie development league. He will be up with Binghamton full time next year, and depending on what they do with Guard, he could be the starter.

Lets not forget, hes only 20, not many 20yr old goaltenders play in the AHL, most are still developing in junior.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
The Nemesis said:
My god, one WJC win and Pogge is like the second coming of Jesus all of a sudden.

Don't get me wrong, he did well and certainly helped the team win gold. But that was a hell of a defence he had in front of him, so it's not like he had to carry this team. People are really devaluing this year's Canada squad only because it has to be in the shadow of that juggernaut 05 edition (the likes of which we'll never see again). Now we have the topic creator who almost seems like he's claiming that Pogge singlehandedly won them the gold.

And although I know I'm biased because I'm a Sharks fan, but I really love Greiss. It's not just a great story of a kid holding his own against the men. It's a kid absolutely destroying the men.

I'm probably the biggest Pogge fanboy around here but you're right about the Team Canada stuff, that was a solid defense, but Pogge's play allowed them to Win games when offensivly they might not have had enough to win in previous years.

His play with Calgary, at the CHL vs Russia game has been nothing short of spectacular, his time with Belfour during the off-season really boosted his confidence and his abilities.

I honestly think Pogge is a blue chip goalie prospect who will have a fine career in hockey.

But even I can look at some things being said and roll my eyes, Pogge isn't even Toronto's best goaltending prospect, Rask is.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Canada's defense was said to be inexperienced going into the WJCs, no one knew what to expect, I wouldn't count the fact that they played so well in front of Pogge against him.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Leachmeister2000 said:
Canada's defense was said to be inexperienced going into the WJCs, no one knew what to expect, I wouldn't count the fact that they played so well in front of Pogge against him.

Wait, what now? The fact that the defence played so well in front of him shouldn't be used to explain Pogge's gaudy stats because no one knew what to expect of them? That doesn't make sense. Regardless of what was expected of the defence, they played well, and that helped the team. No one knew what to expect out of Pogge either. Or Jeff Glass last year for that matter. Expectations have no bearing once reality can replace them.

I'm not trying to count the defence's play against Pogge. I'm just saying that as good as Pogge is, and as good as he did at the WJCs, he shouldn't be heralded like some sort of uber-prospect because of it. There are plenty of goalies out there that have played just as well or better than Pogge, and deserve to be considered ahead of him on some sort of all-encompassing goalie list.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
SenSk9tSen said:
Jeff Glass <21> 34-8 // 8 SO // 1.78 GAA // 0.931 sv % // WJC gold medal// CHL Goalie of the year 2004-2005//

Any of you remember him?

edit: changing sv % from 0.921 to 0.931 typo.

Yeah he's the guy playing in the ECHL right :biglaugh: Think you guys better wait a season or so before proclaiming Pogge the next Roy.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
underscore_boy said:
criteria: must be a goalie. must be between 18 and 22, no nhl experience.

by the way, his numbers in the whl at age 19 are:

28-5, 8 shutouts, 1.53 gaa, .931 save%.

I think you need to settle down right about now and stop slobbering all over you know who's you know what.

Pogge is a good prospect, he is NOT the #1 goaltending prospect in the world.

PRB

Apr 29, 2005
Toronto, Canada
www.prbsports.com
Ovechkin8 said:
Glass is in the ECHL because he's bouncing around. Binghamton also has former WHL goalie Kelly Guard and their number 1 Billy Thompson. They feel it will be better for his developpment rather than becoming an MAF in the AHL. Glass will get his time soon enough, he's one of the best statistical goalie in the ECHL as of date.

He is in the ECHL in the eastside hockey manager game for the Sens also at the start of the 05-06 season, I had him in the AHL in 06-07 with a couple of NHL callups and in 07-08 with DiPietro and Miller in goals he spent a year in the AHL. With Miller gone he's now backing up DiPietro for 08-09.

Not a great comparison but still! :D

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
The Nemesis said:
Wait, what now? The fact that the defence played so well in front of him shouldn't be used to explain Pogge's gaudy stats because no one knew what to expect of them? That doesn't make sense. Regardless of what was expected of the defence, they played well, and that helped the team. No one knew what to expect out of Pogge either. Or Jeff Glass last year for that matter. Expectations have no bearing once reality can replace them.

I'm not trying to count the defence's play against Pogge. I'm just saying that as good as Pogge is, and as good as he did at the WJCs, he shouldn't be heralded like some sort of uber-prospect because of it. There are plenty of goalies out there that have played just as well or better than Pogge, and deserve to be considered ahead of him on some sort of all-encompassing goalie list.

Hey don't get me wrong, I hate Pogge because he's a Leafs prospect, but when you're a goalie into a tournament with a group of inexperienced guys supporting you, I don't care what you say, but that guy has to be good to backstop his team to a gold medal. Sure the defense played a huge part in that but seriously, go back to the threads started before the tournament and you'll see the exorbitant number of posters that doubted the defensive core. Go on.

DreamCatcher*

You want a comparison to Justin Pogge? How about Cory Schnieder who is currently on a 3 game shut-out streak and showing why he was THE goalie pick in the 2004 draft.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
underscore_boy said:
criteria: must be a goalie. must be between 18 and 22, no nhl experience.

by the way, his numbers in the whl at age 19 are:

28-5, 8 shutouts, 1.53 gaa, .931 save%.

Rask plays among men, in a pro league. He is 18 years old, and has .922 save% and 2.33 gaa in 19 games.

Karri Rämö (19 years) has 16 games in finnish league, 1.91 gaa and .937 save%

Just to name a few...

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
MaDdY said:
1. Josh Harding
2. Tuukka Rask
3. Thomas Greiss
4. Alvaro Montoya
5. Justin Pogge
6. Marek Schwarz
7. Carey Price
8. Ondrej Pavalech

4. Alvaro Montoya

got to love he portuguese man-o-war

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
I.M. Fletcher said:
not to mention that the ECHL is a goalie development league. He will be up with Binghamton full time next year, and depending on what they do with Guard, he could be the starter.

Lets not forget, hes only 20, not many 20yr old goaltenders play in the AHL, most are still developing in junior.

I was not aware that the ECHL was, as you say, a goalie dev. league. So, I wonder if many of these highly ranked guys: Pogge, Rask, Schneider, Greiss et al. will play in the ECHL first. Maybe that will cool the ardour towards Pogge if he doesn't even appear with the Marlies next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->