Who's better than Justin Pogge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
IMO, as a Leafs fan, Pogge is getting over hyped now. Yes he is or was better then Price, Dubnyk, and Ellis at the time of WJC. But that's it.

He could become a decent starter or most likely a back up. Now Rask , he's the real deal. :)

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
:biglaugh:

Pogge is a great goalie, but the beginning of this thread really got me.

Poster 1: Who is better than Pogge?
Poster 2: Goalie A?
Poster 1: No! Pogge is better!
Poster 3: Goalie B?
Poster 1: No! POGGE!

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Diaboli said:
What do you think? The same team that has pretty much drafted all of the Germans thus far :D
Also the team that has been probably the best team at developing NHL goalies over several years: Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Hedberg, and now it looks like Toskala.

Canucksrock

Feb 4, 2005
Caledon
I don't think Pogge has the reflexs to be a great number 1. Not to say he doesn't have the opportunity and the kill i would say if leafs had to pick in the future between rask and pogge i would go rask. There are lots of goalies that are good in juniors but don't develop or are not suited to the NHL game. I believe Pogge will be one of those i just get this feeling, but hey he proves me wrong i wouldn't be surprised either he did play great at WJRS.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Belfast Giants said:
Never heard of this guy! Who holds his right currently?

Sharks do...thanks for responding. I just noticed I put save percentage twice. One should read GAA. Anyways, he's awesome and I can only pray he's in Worcester next year.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I have watched Pogge. I watched Harding, and to me, it's no contest: Josh Harding. The only reason the Regina Pats made the playoffs in 2002 and 2003 was Josh Harding. He won WHL MVP. He was one of the AHL's top goalies last year, and is leading the league in wins this year. Harding will one day be one of the top 10-15 goalies on the planet.

Stardom at the WJC guarantees nothing. It just means you're the best in your age group at that point in time. Manny Legace was historically brilliant for Canada in their upset gold medal in 1993. But he wasn't drafted until the seventh round in 1993 (his third time being draft eligible). He bounced around the league until winding up in Detroit. It took him 12 years to become a No. 1 goalie (although he was regarded as the game's best backup since 2001).

Word to the wise: Be patient with Pogge. If he struggles in the AHL next year (a distinct possibility), don't give up on him or write off this season as a fluke. The jump from the Dub to the AHL can be a big one.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
I'm a Leafs fan, and I hope that between Pogge and Rask we'll have at least one franchise goalie for at least ten years. But it's too soon to tell.

Jeff Glass - if he's so great, how come he's in the ECHL? I'm not being catty here, I'm just genuinely perplexed. Are the guys in Binghamton that much better? I realize this is Glass' first year as a pro, but regardless it's puzzling to me.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
badrobot101 said:
I'm a Leafs fan, and I hope that between Pogge and Rask we'll have at least one franchise goalie for at least ten years. But it's too soon to tell.

Jeff Glass - if he's so great, how come he's in the ECHL? I'm not being catty here, I'm just genuinely perplexed. Are the guys in Binghamton that much better? I realize this is Glass' first year as a pro, but regardless it's puzzling to me.

Glass is in the ECHL because he's bouncing around. Binghamton also has former WHL goalie Kelly Guard and their number 1 Billy Thompson. They feel it will be better for his developpment rather than becoming an MAF in the AHL. Glass will get his time soon enough, he's one of the best statistical goalie in the ECHL as of date.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Pogge is a fine goalie. It really looks like he really worked out on his game. But the user who started this thread...Im a Toronto fan and a big huge Pogge fan too. He still has long ways to go. I really like his potential. He can be a great goalie in the league ... but i'd make a fair assessment on him when he reached the AHL.

Right now, i'd take Harding over him.

Montoya is a good goalie prospect but i've heard of his inconsistency.

Pavalech is also a nice, talented goalie.

All this love for Pogge is coming out only because he beat out Price for the job in the WJC. Many of the leaf fans are considering this a blow to the Habs.

If i had to rank all the goalie prospects...my list would be something like this...

1. Josh Harding
2. Tuukka Rask
3. Thomas Greiss
4. Alvaro Montoya
5. Justin Pogge
6. Marek Schwarz
7. Carey Price
8. Ondrej Pavalech

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
MaDdY said:
If i had to rank all the goalie prospects...my list would be something like this...

1. Josh Harding
2. Tuukka Rask
3. Thomas Greiss
4. Alvaro Montoya
5. Justin Pogge
6. Marek Schwarz
7. Carey Price
8. Ondrej Pavalech

Thank god you're no hockey expert or an amateur scout.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
MaDdY said:
Pogge is a fine goalie. It really looks like he really worked out on his game. But the user who started this thread...Im a Toronto fan and a big huge Pogge fan too. He still has long ways to go. I really like his potential. He can be a great goalie in the league ... but i'd make a fair assessment on him when he reached the AHL.

Right now, i'd take Harding over him.

Montoya is a good goalie prospect but i've heard of his inconsistency.

Pavalech is also a nice, talented goalie.

All this love for Pogge is coming out only because he beat out Price for the job in the WJC. Many of the leaf fans are considering this a blow to the Habs.

1. Josh Harding
2. Tuukka Rask
3. Thomas Greiss
4. Alvaro Montoya
5. Justin Pogge
6. Marek Schwarz
7. Carey Price
8. Ondrej Pavalech

Actually this is a pretty good list i think

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Mole ii said:
Corey Schneider is way better!

Thats hilarious. I thought schnieder was one of the ewaker goalies in the tourney and was not impressed by him at all. pierre mcguire made alot of good points about him, and he was not impressed with him either. nice try thou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad