Who's better than Justin Pogge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

criteria: must be a goalie. must be between 18 and 22, no nhl experience.

by the way, his numbers in the whl at age 19 are:

28-5, 8 shutouts, 1.53 gaa, .931 save%.

leafaholix*

Chrisd said:
josh harding, age 22.
he's more advanced, but i don't think he's a better talent than pogge. for one, pogge is already as good a goalie in the whl as harding ever was at any point in his whl career. another point being, pogge was a star #1 goalie for canada, and arguably the top goalie in the whole tournament. harding was never that.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
did you want everyone else to say pogge...to satisfy you, obviously what you wanted out of it....

Harding was WHL player of year, back up to marc andre fleury, just as pogge woulda been at the WJC, obviously MAF was the goalie #1 pick and all.

He has owned the AHL, and will be up in the nhl this year, after manny or rolo are traded.

Cam Ward and Harding are the 2 choices, imo....

But if you want to hear pogge then ok he is..

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Jeff Glass <21> 34-8 // 8 SO // 1.78 GAA // 0.931 sv % // WJC gold medal// CHL Goalie of the year 2004-2005//

Any of you remember him?

edit: changing sv % from 0.921 to 0.931 typo.

Last edited:

leafaholix*

SenSk9tSen said:
Jeff Glass <21> 34-8 // 8 SO // 1.78 GAA // 0.921 sv % // WJC gold medal// CHL Goalie of the year 2004-2005//

Any of you remember him?
pogge is bigger, quicker, better glove, best puckhandling goalie prospect in years, and he's doing more in the whl than glass did. jeff glass was a goalie that had pucks hit him, pogge makes saves.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
underscore_boy said:
pogge is bigger, quicker, better glove, best puckhandling goalie prospect in years, and he's doing more in the whl than glass did. jeff glass was a goalie that had pucks hit him, pogge makes saves.

I'd say they're stats are equal, same sv %.

Both have WJC medals, both will have CHL goalie of the years. Pogge is 1 inch taller, 6-2 to 6-3, both are big. Getting hit with a puck is still a save. Puckhandling means less than in years past, still Glass is a very good puck handler aswell.

leafaholix*

SenSk9tSen said:
I'd say they're stats are equal, same sv %.

Both have WJC medals, both will have CHL goalie of the years. Pogge is 1 inch taller, 6-2 to 6-3, both are big. Getting hit with a puck is still a save. Puckhandling means less than in years past, still Glass is a very good puck handler aswell.
their stats are not equal, pogge is ahead in every category. he hasn't lost a hockey game since november 16th, that's 12 straight whl wins and 6 wjc games.

glass' medal came behind the strongest wjc team of all time, while pogge played a major role in the team's championship win. in terms of size, pogge is long and lanky at 6'3, 200+ pounds while glass was a big guy, not very quick on his skates. pogge's mobility is superior. and getting hit with a puck is a save, but having the ability to make the save, cover it up with full control and keep rebounds to a premium is a lot better than having a goalie that has pucks hit him. and puckhandling may not mean as much as it did a couple years ago, but pogge has been said to be and has shown to be pretty much the best since martin brodeur came out of the qmjhl. you can't compare glass to pogge.

leafaholix*

Chrisd said:
did you want everyone else to say pogge...to satisfy you, obviously what you wanted out of it....

Harding was WHL player of year, back up to marc andre fleury, just as pogge woulda been at the WJC, obviously MAF was the goalie #1 pick and all.

He has owned the AHL, and will be up in the nhl this year, after manny or rolo are traded.

Cam Ward and Harding are the 2 choices, imo....

But if you want to hear pogge then ok he is..
i want to know who can convince me that harding is a better talent than justin pogge, because if you cannot give reasons why he is better in talent, than i keep my opinion that there aren't (m)any better.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
Oh my....

I´d like to change this in:

Is this the most dictatorial thread of this century?
I think YES! Any thoughts? No? ...fine!

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
underscore_boy said:
i want to know who can convince me that harding is a better talent than justin pogge, because if you cannot give reasons why he is better in talent, than i keep my opinion that there aren't (m)any better.
Harding was outstanding on a team that was far far less that what Pogge has to work with in Calgary. He was Regina who were brutal, just looking at his numbers doesnt tell how good he really was and is now, he won many games for the Pats on his own. Pogge while a great tender he hasnt had to carry a bad team by himself. For the record Calgarys D has always made good goalies look better than they really are.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Judging purely on players in the 18-20 age range.... (beyond that the difference in age is too significant to make any worthwhile judgement)

Price, Montoya, and Rask come to mind as being preferable over Pogge right now IMHO. Glass is roughly comparable in my mind, I'm unsure who I prefer at this point... I really like Glass however, so that's no knock on Pogge.
Dubnyk may or may not be better, I haven't seen him enough to gauge his development.

Re Schwartz:
I'm not very high on Schwartz at all at this point, his reflexes are blindingly quick but he's terrible positionally, his stickhandling is poor and he has pretty blatant holes in his game at this point. His upside is spectacular, higher then any of the above IMO but until he shows he's not relying solely on pure reflexes to survive I'm not terribly enthusiastic with respect to his future.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Thomas Greiss

A 19 year old dominating a men's league (full of former fringe NHLers). Leads the DEL in GAA and save percentage. Named to the German Olympic team.

EDIT: I'm a big dumb animal.

Last edited:

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
chiefmonarch said:
Harding was outstanding on a team that was far far less that what Pogge has to work with in Calgary. He was Regina who were brutal, just looking at his numbers doesnt tell how good he really was and is now, he won many games for the Pats on his own. Pogge while a great tender he hasnt had to carry a bad team by himself. For the record Calgarys D has always made good goalies look better than they really are.

Thats true he put .920 save % type numbers on a team who was brutal, in Regina, where he was often putting up 35-50 saves a night.

He was the only reason that team was even respectable.

He faces a ton of shots for the AHL, Houston Aeros also, and is their MVP forsure, and they have the 2nd best record in the whole AHL, and he leads the AHL in wins, although he got hurt the other night for a few games.

This isn't a diss on Pogge, he might turn out to be a fine goalie, but I'd rather have the goalie that was a stalwart in the WHL, WHL player of year, and who has had now, (2) great, not good AHL seasons, and is just about ready for the show.

Pogge will need seasoning too in the AHL, and maybe his AHL career will go as well as Hardings, and maybe it won't. But it's hard to believe it will be much better, so I'll take the safer bet, and the kid thats just about in the show, and proven it on a higher level.

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
Can we just rename this thread "Pogge is the best goalie and nothing could convince me otherwise" and get it over with?

complete waste of a thread.....

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think Pavelec is a better goaltender. By far the best goaltender in the QMJHL. Out of starters only the expansion teams allow more shots per game yet Pavelec has the best GAA in the league. He has a .928 SV% and may be the most dominant goaltender I have ever seen in the QMJHL, much better then Fleury at the same age. Atlanta has the next Hasek from Czech Republic.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
What are the criteria? Right now, or as a prospect? Pure talent and potential?

As a prospect, there are plenty of guys ahead of him, but just right at this moment, I think he showed in the WJs that he is close enough to the best in his age group that it's just going to come down to personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad