Prospect Info: Who's better, ryan Poehling or Jake Evans?

Who's better?

• Total voters

Jpageman

Mar 10, 2019
Should have phrased it 'who will become the better player'.
I have no idea what to answer right now with this phrasing.

Evans better now for his role, Poehling with a little more potential in the near future?
:dunno:
Still is hard to say

Reactions: Holystik

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
RP, its wont be even close, but i am happy he keeps improving where he is.
I bitched on the habs development for years, and now that they doing it the right way, i sure hope they stick to it

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Tough to say right now. Evans is playing on the fourth line in the NHL, poehling on the first in the A. Both should become bottom line center. Poehling should produce more and be more physical.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
RP, its wont be even close, but i am happy he keeps improving where he is.
I bitched on the habs development for years, and now that they doing it the right way, i sure hope they stick to it

Let's keep Poehling in Laval all year next year to ensure we max out his development there and we make sure he becomes the best NHLer he can be long term.

After next year, we can no longer send him down without going through waivers.

Reactions: psychonaut

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Just wondering who do you think is better. I'm still not sure
Right now its Evans. Poehling is only playing his 2nd pro season and doing very very well, he is on track to become a better Danault, so personally, when Poehling hits 24, I think he is going to be more impactful than Evans ...

Reactions: dnl4ever

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Poehling will probably be an elite 3C if developed well. Jake Evans might be a decent 3C but looks to be an elite 4C for a competitive team in the future

If Poehling is going to be become an elite 3c, he still has a lot of developing to do. He looked good today in the AHL, but didn't really stand out the whole game. Nice goal though.

I still think he may be a winger at the NHL level. But I want to give him every opportunity to develop as a center, given how important the position is. I have him in Laval all year next year.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I think Jake Evans is a smarter player and better leader. I see him as a Jeff Halpern type.
Ryan Poehling could be the better player and elite 3rd line center. I think of a Joel Otto back in the day.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Right now its Evans. Poehling is only playing his 2nd pro season and doing very very well, he is on track to become a better Danault, so personally, when Poehling hits 24, I think he is going to be more impactful than Evans ...
Even tho Danault had a bad start this season, he's played much better in the last 15-20 games and has proven over the last 3 seasons that he is a very solid #3 Centre. Not sure if Poehling will be better than Danault, but he might prove me wrong.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
If Poehling is going to be become an elite 3c, he still has a lot of developing to do. He looked good today in the AHL, but didn't really stand out the whole game. Nice goal though.

I still think he may be a winger at the NHL level. But I want to give him every opportunity to develop as a center, given how important the position is. I have him in Laval all year next year.

Honestly I consider danault an elite 3C and during the same point in his development (D+4), he had a less impressive AHL season relative to what poehling is doing right now. Then followed it up with a year when he was traded and had 10 points in over 40 games. It's true that development is not linear which is why it's important to be patient with him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly I consider danault an elite 3C and during the same point in his development (D+4), he had a less impressive AHL season relative to what poehling is doing right now. Then followed it up with a year when he was traded and had 10 points in over 40 games. It's true that development is not linear which is why it's important to be patient with him.

And Danault's main strength isn't points. It's that he us competent offensively, while being elite defensively.

I haven't seen anything yet that tells me Poehlong will be elite defensively. I'm not saying he won't. I just haven't seen it. For now I still like him as a power forward prospect. But I'm happy he's getting major minutes to develop as a C and we'll see what happens...

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
And Danault's main strength isn't points. It's that he us competent offensively, while being elite defensively.

I haven't seen anything yet that tells me Poehlong will be elite defensively. I'm not saying he won't. I just haven't seen it. For now I still like him as a power forward prospect. But I'm happy he's getting major minutes to develop as a C and we'll see what happens...

Another important point is danault has been forced to play a massive defensive role which puts more emphasis on his defensive play. It's true I agree that danault has and will probably always be better defensively. But I don't think Poehling will be used in the same situation as Danault as he'll be behind Suzuki and KK who are both going to be good 200 foot Cs. So his defensive ability will therefore not be needed as much as Danaults has who has been playing his career with the Habs sofar with mostly undersized, defensively irresponsible Cs or young, underdeveloped Cs

Reactions: 26Mats

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

Honestly, I might be lambasted by this take, but I'd try to sign Danault to a 2 year 5.5 million contract to give time for Suzuki, KK, Poehling, and Mysak to properly develop

Reactions: 26Mats and MasterD

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Poehling has a better cealling; bigger, better shot. They are both fast.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Too early to say, Poehling should be the better player but so far Evans has been the better NHLer in terms of ppg, and the better AHL, and the better NCAA player by ppg. But he's 2 1/2 years older, he's a high IQ player, Poehling's game is based around his impressive physical tools of size, speed, skating, strength. Right now Poehling is playing his best hockey in the AHL by far, last year Evans started out terribly and then after being told he was going to be a healthy scratch, he went on to be a ppg the rest of the season.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Even tho Danault had a bad start this season, he's played much better in the last 15-20 games and has proven over the last 3 seasons that he is a very solid #3 Centre. Not sure if Poehling will be better than Danault, but he might prove me wrong.
Poehling plays exactly like Danault, very smart and strong 200 ft center, both bery good on the details ect. But IMO, Poehling has more offensive potential, he has quicker hands than Danault, better passing skills and processes the game at a higher level in the offensive zone... But of course, Poehling defensive isnt at Danault level yet.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Are we talking about right now, as in who should be the 4th line centre on the Habs, or longer-term as in their career?

If you're talking about right now, Poehling's playing well enough to get a call-up, although I think he should ride out the season with the Rocket,

Longer-term, you would think Poehling as he has more tools but Evans has shown he can play a role in the NHL while Poehling is yet to do so.

Reactions: canucklover123

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Are we talking about right now, as in who should be the 4th line centre on the Habs, or longer-term as in their career?

If you're talking about right now, Poehling's playing well enough to get a call-up, although I think he should ride out the season with the Rocket,

Longer-term, you would think Poehling as he has more tools but Evans has shown he can play a role in the NHL while Poehling is yet to do so.

And that’s ok because Poehling is almost 3 years younger.

I think Poehlings ultimate upside is higher, while Evan’s is more of a lock to become what we project he will be.

Using the old HF ranking system I’d say

Poehling 7.0C
Evan’s 6.0B

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Poehling of course, and it's not even close. Next year we'll have both (hopefully) on the starting lineup, and I'm glad. Two very different kind of players.

Reactions: 26Mats

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I take the question is about ultimate potential, not the current readiness for the NHL. If that's the case, it's Poehling and rather easily.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Too early to say, Poehling should be the better player but so far Evans has been the better NHLer in terms of ppg, and the better AHL, and the better NCAA player by ppg. But he's 2 1/2 years older, he's a high IQ player, Poehling's game is based around his impressive physical tools of size, speed, skating, strength. Right now Poehling is playing his best hockey in the AHL by far, last year Evans started out terribly and then after being told he was going to be a healthy scratch, he went on to be a ppg the rest of the season.
Every time I've watched The Rocket, Poehling has been on the wing. So, is the comparison even a question? What if they decided to turn Poehling into a winger?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->