Who's better: Matt Carle or Shea Weber?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
McCabe and Kaberle had 23 and 22 points in their first NHL-season, I take it they aren't good offensive defensemen then?

Ehrhoff got half a season with regular icetime and put up lots of points during that time. Not to mention that he added 8 points in 11 playoff games.

Actually, watching him just once is enough to see that he has excellent offensive instincts.

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
Getting a little off topic. My point is, Carle is the best offensive d-man in San Jose. You put him in Nashville for example, he doesn't take away PP time from Zidlicky or Timonen right now. He is good and in a few years would be Nashville number one PP quaterback for example. Weber in my opinion would take away ice as the shut down guy right now in San Jose. I think they will both be good d-men but Weber will have a better career.

Grizzly Adams

May 28, 2002
San Jose
Carle sorta reminds me of Gonchar or Neidermayer with the way he skates all over the ice, I don't really see the Lidstrom in him.

And reguarding Ehrhoff, watch a game. I think he looks much like Hamrlik in his prime.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Weber in my opinion would take away ice as the shut down guy right now in San Jose.

This is the only thing you have to explain (aside from the Ehrhoff thing but that is another post). I can understand and respect your opinion on Weber being the better player over time. However, what makes you think that Weber right now would be Wilson's defensive go-to guy over Scott Hannan, a member of the 2004 and 2005 Team Canada World Championship teams and praised by the likes of Forsberg and Ovechkin as one of the hardest defensemen to play against? That one is just a mind boggler.

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
This is the only thing you have to explain (aside from the Ehrhoff thing but that is another post). I can understand and respect your opinion on Weber being the better player over time. However, what makes you think that Weber right now would be Wilson's defensive go-to guy over Scott Hannan, a member of the 2004 and 2005 Team Canada World Championship teams and praised by the likes of Forsberg and Ovechkin as one of the hardest defensemen to play against? That one is just a mind boggler.

I live in Kelowna and watched both of these players play a lot of hockey. Both were great d-men for the Rockets. I think Wilson would use both Weber and Hannan as partners as his shut down d-men right now.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I live in Kelowna and watched both of these players play a lot of hockey. Both were great d-men for the Rockets. I think Wilson would use both Weber and Hannan as partners as his shut down d-men right now.

Possibly but I think he would actually use him with Ehrhoff. They would compliment each other well. Right now, Hannan is paired with Vlasic, another youngster who is showing amazing defensive poise for a 19 year-old. I don't think he would split them up even with Weber on the team (which would be heaven IMO). Scotty remains his top defender though...no question in my mind.

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
Possibly but I think he would actually use him with Ehrhoff. They would compliment each other well. Right now, Hannan is paired with Vlasic, another youngster who is showing amazing defensive poise for a 19 year-old. I don't think he would split them up even with Weber on the team (which would be heaven IMO). Scotty remains his top defender though...no question in my mind.
I think that would change if Weber played is San Jose!!(my opinion)

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004

What would your depth chart look like on defence if Weber and Carle were in San Jose and the same for Nashville?

icandobetter

Oct 17, 2005
chico
I am glad to see you did your research:sarcasm:. Christian Ehrhoff is a very talented offensive defenseman for San Jose, and the Sharks traded away Tom Preissing because Carle was so good. ALso, I doubt Weber would be San Jose's number one shut-down defenseman, considering that we have Scott Hannan and Kyle McLaren.

you just nailed it..:clap: :clap:

Damn, I don't even have to say anything, you just nailed it again!!!! :clap:

Last edited:

Cyclops II*

The games I watched had McLaren with Carle on the PP.
McLaren has played on the PP but only R Wilson knows why. It may be because he is a veteran and RW has confidence in his ability to reduce shorthanded opportunities. Regardless ofwho happens to out on any given PP Ehrhoff and Carle are the #1 and #1A pointmen.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Why is McLaren getting PP time ahead of Ehrhoff?

Because it's not reality. Ehrhoff has the most PP minutes out of Sharks defensemen while McLaren only has more than Josh Gorges. Scott Hannan and rookie Marc-Edouard Vlasic even have more PP time than McLaren.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Wellwood is only 25... and has 10 points this year.

Sakic is 36 (and has fewer points thus far this year - 6)

So Wellwood is better Sakic?

What I was pointing out was that Ehrhoff wasn't as established as the other two, but you clearly missed that.

He's an offensive defenseman and is starting to contribute pretty well now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad