Who's better: Matt Carle or Shea Weber?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Lidstrom doesn't hit but he does tie his man up physically often and is rarely manhandled. I'm not saying Carle does get manhandled either, just making the point on Lidstrom. It's not like he plays no touch hockey, you just don't see him throw big hits, he still can seperate a player from the puck physically.

Weber can do both. He plays good position is smart in the defensive zone and can crush you if he needs too.

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Carle is an offensive genius, without ambiguity...and his defensive play is looking increasingly impressive...I guess from the stats alone there is always the tendency to wonder how much he has benefited from playing with capable scorers...watching his play though, there is no doubt that very few defensemen have Carle's almost sagacious offensive accumen, capable of seeing and creating the plays he does...
He can be scary good and scary bad.

Not since Sandis have the Sharks had a D-Man pinching in and taking so many shots from inside the freakin' face off dots. He's shown a great knack of jumping in at just the right times. I've yet to see him really get burnt here, but it does make me nervous a bit at times.

It would not surprise me to see him easily surpass Preissing's (74gm 11g 32a 43p) numbers from last season - quietly the second best in Shark's history, behing Sandis' 81gm 26g 38a 64p in '93-'94. I doubt he'll pass Sandis for goals (at least not this year) but his pts record is certainly within reach.

At least he is already MUCH better in his defensive end than Sandis ever was.

icandobetter

Oct 17, 2005
chico
its a simple comparison..

I read on this board that people sometime compare Carle to Lidstorm... IMO Lidstorm type of player doesn't come in NHL too often. If Carle turns out to be next Lidstorm, which most likely he will after I saw him setup two PPG last night against Wings, I pick Carle any time all the time..

Weber is physical type of defenseman like penuef (Sp) but I never heard any scout compare him against scott steven or chris pronger. Maybe I am wrong....

Conclusion: I think Carle has higher ceiling than Weber.. Which GM doesn't want a defensemen who likely to produce minimum 20+45=65 a season???

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
its a simple comparison..

I read on this board that people sometime compare Carle to Lidstorm... IMO Lidstorm type of player doesn't come in NHL too often. If Carle turns out to be next Lidstorm, which most likely he will after I saw him setup two PPG last night against Wings, I pick Carle any time all the time..

Weber is physical type of defenseman like penuef (Sp) but I never heard any scout compare him against scott steven or chris pronger. Maybe I am wrong....

Conclusion: I think Carle has higher ceiling than Weber.. Which GM doesn't want a defensemen who likely to produce minimum 20+45=65 a season???
I've heard the Stevens comparison a bunch with Weber.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Don't think we would be having this discussion 3 weeks ago, amazing what a hot start and ample PP time will do. Carle is a nice addition to any hockey pool though.

*cough*
And please only answer if you have watched Carle play this season. Because if you haven´t I know exactly what´s gonna come my way:

"Carle is only looking good because he is on a great PP and is getting his points handed to him"... Blah ;)
*cough*

:shakehead

icandobetter

Oct 17, 2005
chico
I wouldn't get smarmy about sources, because while I've seen comparisons in Carle's STYLE to Lidstrom's, I've never, EVER seen anyone say "Carle IS the next Lidstrom."

Weber has as much chance at being 'the next Stevens' as Carle has at being 'the next Lidstrom.'

Put it that way.

Well, if you download redwings vs. sharks game this week from center ice forum, you will hear wings announcers mentioned it

Coach Q from Avs said he will be norris trophy cabiler player when he first stepped in NHL last season.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Well, if you download redwings vs. sharks game this week from center ice forum, you will hear wings announcers mentioned it

Coach Q from Avs said he will be norris trophy cabiler player when he first stepped in NHL last season.

Okay...and during the Rangers game, the Rangers PBP guys were gushing over Weber and how they can't believe he wasn't in the high first round in 2003. Devils PBP said, "Weber is young, but is already showing signs of being similar to a guy that we had here in Scott Stevens."

The point is...talk is talk...but there's a point in which you're being extreme. Lidstrom is a sure-fire hall of famer, and you're ready to give the same treatment to a kid that's playing in his first full year. Is Bernier THE next Cam Neely, too? You have to be realistic, here...

icandobetter

Oct 17, 2005
chico
Okay...and during the Rangers game, the Rangers PBP guys were gushing over Weber and how they can't believe he wasn't in the high first round in 2003. Devils PBP said, "Weber is young, but is already showing signs of being similar to a guy that we had here in Scott Stevens."

The point is...talk is talk...but there's a point in which you're being extreme. Lidstrom is a sure-fire hall of famer, and you're ready to give the same treatment to a kid that's playing in his first full year. Is Bernier THE next Cam Neely, too? You have to be realistic, here...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/SanJose/2006/10/20/2078667-cp.html

here is a recent one where Carle is being compared to Scott Nediemyer... I want to read some article about who Weber is comparing to...

No, Bernier is not next cam Neely... but scout did compared him as Todd Burtuizz...

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/SanJose/2006/10/20/2078667-cp.html

here is a recent one where Carle is being compared to Scott Nediemyer... I want to read some article about who Weber is comparing to...

No, Bernier is not next cam Neely... but scout did compared him as Todd Burtuizz...
"He does things, to me, that Scott Niedermayer does," said Wilson.

That's being compared to Niedermayer?

Wilson doesn't say he reminds him of Nieds, or that he plays like Nieds, just that he does some of the same stuff.

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
If Carle played in Nashville would he take PP time away from Zidlicky and Timonen. I don't think he would, San Jose needed a PP quaterback and he fills that role. He is San Jose only true offensive d-man and with the firepower they have it would easly it get points. I look at him as becoming more like Sergei Zubov than Scott Niedermayer. You put Weber in San Jose, I think he is there number one shut down d-man and plays against the other teams top line. He would get PP time playing with Carle to because of his shot. I like both d-men but I would pick Weber.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If Carle played in Nashville would he take PP time away from Zidlicky and Timonen. I don't think he would, San Jose needed a PP quaterback and he fills that role. He is San Jose only true offensive d-man and with the firepower they have it would easly it get points. I look at him as becoming more like Sergei Zubov than Scott Niedermayer. You put Weber in San Jose, I think he is there number one shut down d-man and plays against the other teams top line. He would get PP time playing with Carle to because of his shot. I like both d-men but I would pick Weber.

I am glad to see you did your research:sarcasm:. Christian Ehrhoff is a very talented offensive defenseman for San Jose, and the Sharks traded away Tom Preissing because Carle was so good. ALso, I doubt Weber would be San Jose's number one shut-down defenseman, considering that we have Scott Hannan and Kyle McLaren.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
toss-up.. very different players and both will have producting careers.

Weber is more of a Foote type than a Stevens in my opinion.

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
I am glad to see you did your research:sarcasm:. Christian Ehrhoff is a very talented offensive defenseman for San Jose, and the Sharks traded away Tom Preissing because Carle was so good. ALso, I doubt Weber would be San Jose's number one shut-down defenseman, considering that we have Scott Hannan and Kyle McLaren.

Ehrhoff had 23 point, he is real offensive.:amazed: I didn't say Carle wasn't good, I said he doesn't take away PP ice time right now from Zidlicky and Timonen.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Ehrhoff had 23 point, he is real offensive.:amazed: I didn't say Carle wasn't good, I said he doesn't take away PP ice time right now from Zidlicky and Timonen.

He's also only 24... and has 5 points this year.

Zidlicky is 29 (and has fewer points thus far this year - 3)
Timonen is 31..

Let Ehrhoff some time to adapt? Which he's doing...

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
You put Weber in San Jose, I think he is there number one shut down d-man and plays against the other teams top line. He would get PP time playing with Carle to because of his shot. I like both d-men but I would pick Weber.

Sharks could use a player of Weber's style but let's not go over the top. Hannan is the top shutdown defenseman on the Sharks and one of the tops in the NHL.

macleafs

Jan 1, 2004
He's also only 24... and has 5 points this year.

Zidlicky is 29 (and has fewer points thus far this year - 3)
Timonen is 31..

Let Ehrhoff some time to adapt? Which he's doing...

Wellwood is only 25... and has 10 points this year.

Sakic is 36 (and has fewer points thus far this year - 6)

So Wellwood is better Sakic?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->