Speculation: Who's being traded? All 11 can't be kept.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
When you say "shipped out" are including guys being sent to the AHL?

Vegas currently has 11 NHL defensemen. Of these only Shea Theodore is waiver exempt, who I doubt will play in the minors this year.

McPhee knows he must trade 2-4 of them prior to submitting his 23 man roster or face loosing them all to waivers.

Most expected the bulk of these moves to have occurred already including McPhee himself who stated:

"We can't keep 30 players because we can't get 6 or 7 players thru waivers if we wanted to. They are not waiver exempt. There will be a lot of transactions between the day the roster is announced & the entry draft. We have to move quickly because once we get to July 5th there's not a lot of liquidity in the market. Teams will have made their decisions & we don't want to be stuck holding the bag"

July 5th is today.

Last edited:

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Hunt was signed for Chicago.i could see then keeping 8d at the start of the season if Theodore makes the team out of camp (which I expect) there could be only 2 to be traded at the beginning of camp. I could see Sbisa or Stoner being sent down and perhaps even Reinhart but i don't think he will be, i think he will be given an opportunity to play in vegas. I think 2 is the max you see traded.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Hunt was signed for Chicago.i could see then keeping 8d at the start of the season if Theodore makes the team out of camp (which I expect) there could be only 2 to be traded at the beginning of camp. I could see Sbisa or Stoner being sent down and perhaps even Reinhart but i don't think he will be, i think he will be given an opportunity to play in vegas. I think 2 is the max you see traded.

Good point. Most teams do keep 8 defensemen, having 2 pairs of defensemen on each side of the puck for practice is widely accepted by most coaches as the way to manage their roster. It's just not on the level of what Vegas has at their disposal.

Most of the 11 I refer to played significant minutes last season & have never been healthy scratches. Keeping 8 & constantly scratching 2 isn't going to be popular decision among the players.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
No one is taking Stoner for sure. I'm not even sure he's healthy enough to play. He and Hunt will probably end up waived after camp and sent down to Chicago. I doubt people are banging down the door for Sbisa so I'm guessing one of Miller/Merrill gets moved and we carry 8 D to start the year. I think Garrison/Mcnabb/Engelland/Reinhart are probably safe for now. Theo/Schmidt are off limits period.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
No one is taking Stoner for sure. I'm not even sure he's healthy enough to play. He and Hunt will probably end up waived after camp and sent down to Chicago. I doubt people are banging down the door for Sbisa so I'm guessing one of Miller/Merrill gets moved and we carry 8 D to start the year. I think Garrison/Mcnabb/Engelland/Reinhart are probably safe for now. Theo/Schmidt are off limits period.

Miller is quite the player. In limited icetime he's put up very impressive numbers.

I could see a lot of interest in him.

Anarchy Joe

Jun 30, 2013

I doubt Miller gets moved hes one of the few right handed shots we have and he has solid upside left

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I was reading scouting reports on a lot of guys due to the over abundance of lefties, and it looks like a few guys play both sides equally well.

The three lefties I read that can play either side are Stoner, Merrill and Sbisa.

Stoner's contract is too bad to move without an asset attached so I think he's kept, Sbisa wouldn't fetch anything other than a 5th-7th rounder or future considerations, and Merrill is young and has some upside left so I think they are all kept.

Funny thing is the two righties (Schmidt and Miller) can both play the left side.

McPhee has some hard decisions to make. Only easy move I see here is to waive Stoner. Sbisa might get claimed if he's waived, and Reinhart as well. Losing Reinhart for nothing would be a big mistake. I think he has lots of time to improve left in him.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Theodore is sent down at least to start the season to buy GMGM more time to make moves.

Some team will be unhappy with their blue line at the start of the season, and want to pick up an extra guy.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I was reading scouting reports on a lot of guys due to the over abundance of lefties, and it looks like a few guys play both sides equally well.

The three lefties I read that can play either side are Stoner, Merrill and Sbisa.

Stoner's contract is too bad to move without an asset attached so I think he's kept, Sbisa wouldn't fetch anything other than a 5th-7th rounder or future considerations, and Merrill is young and has some upside left so I think they are all kept.

Funny thing is the two righties (Schmidt and Miller) can both play the left side.

McPhee has some hard decisions to make. Only easy move I see here is to waive Stoner. Sbisa might get claimed if he's waived, and Reinhart as well. Losing Reinhart for nothing would be a big mistake. I think he has lots of time to improve left in him.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Theodore is sent down at least to start the season to buy GMGM more time to make moves.

Some team will be unhappy with their blue line at the start of the season, and want to pick up an extra guy.

Stoner never played the right with the Ducks. Sbisa sucks in general, but is even worse on the right. Theo/Schmidt/Garrison are all lefties with experience on the right side. Engelland should be entrenched on the right side of the 3rd pair.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
Stoner is injured so he doesn't really count as there isn't much Las Vegas can do with him at the moment.

No one will take Sbisa so I would say try to find a trade for Merrill. If someone wants to take Sbisa or Stoner then great but I seriously doubt it. Then just roll with the rest of them.

With Stoner injured, Hunt and Sbisa sent down and Merrill traded that leaves seven defensemen with pretty good balance on who could play left and right and a crop of young guys with a few veterans.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Stoner is injured so he doesn't really count as there isn't much Las Vegas can do with him at the moment.

No one will take Sbisa so I would say try to find a trade for Merrill. If someone wants to take Sbisa or Stoner then great but I seriously doubt it. Then just roll with the rest of them.

With Stoner injured, Hunt and Sbisa sent down and Merrill traded that leaves seven defensemen with pretty good balance on who could play left and right and a crop of young guys with a few veterans.

They're not gonna pay Sbisa over 3 million to play in the AHL.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
McPhee mentioned recently that he is going to see which teams don't get what they're looking for in FA, and expects some of them might come back around looking for help. So obviously we should see one or two moved here pretty soon.

If not, and worst case scenario, he's going to have to cut bait and run them through waivers.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I'm not familiar with Stoner's situation - is he eligible for LTIR?

Stoner was skating in practice with the Ducks in the playoffs.

Although he has some chronic injury issues, I think he will be healthy enough for training camp.

Don't think he is a LTIR candidate for 17-18.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

Derriko hitting the nail on the head with this entire post (especially the bolded)! :yo:

Technically, we don't even need to make a move right now. Here's what I've got:

Schmidt - Garrison
Sbisa - Miller
McNabb - Engelland
Reinhart, Merrill (healthy scratch)

Hunt, Stoner and Theodore to the AHL.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I wouldn't get too caught up in potential pairings until preseason gets underway. None of these guys are familiar with one another and the only one that's seen significant time in a top 4 pairing is Garrison - but he's broken down and on the decline.

Although I do agree that Garrison-Schmidt is the likely top pairing.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
They're not gonna pay Sbisa over 3 million to play in the AHL.
Maybe not but they're paying him what they pay him no matter where he plays, if they can't get rid of him. Having him as a seventh d-man means he doesn't play at all most nights. Unless you think his cap hit will be the reason he is an automatic starter. It's faulty logic for the team to use but I agree many GMs would think of it that way and it's a possibility.

On the other hand, playing him 82 games almost guarantees us top 3 draft odds, at least, if that's their plan.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Stoner never played the right with the Ducks. Sbisa sucks in general, but is even worse on the right. Theo/Schmidt/Garrison are all lefties with experience on the right side. Engelland should be entrenched on the right side of the 3rd pair.

I should've worded that better lol. I meant to say "they can play the other side," not that they can equally as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad