Speculation: Whos #1?

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
At 2-1, this game was winnable. Let in 3 soft as butter goals, and you can't blame offense. If Schneider makes the routine saves, Hamhuis ties it 2-2 later in the period. Goaltending cost us the game tonight. The 2 weeks off excuse is bs, why was Luongo solid in the first two games and half of the 3rd period of this game after not playing for weeks there down the stretch?

Nah, with the way the Canucks are playing, they never would have been able to score the second goal if they were only down 2-1. Situation is completely different at 2-1 vs. 5-1.

Schneider didn't play well, but goaltending didn't cost us the game. Put Luongo in net and we would have lost 2-1 or 3-2 in overtime because we just can't score.

17 goals in the last 13 playoff games is pathetic. We've scored 3 goals exactly once in those 13 games.

I rationalized it away before by thinking that we just ran into some amazingly hot goalies in Quick and Thomas - Conn Smythe Winners and Vezina Winners / Finalists. Niemi's not in their league though, even with a strong season this year.

Hal 9000*

If we had traded Schneider this year, we might be leading this series. Gillis wrongly fell in love with Schneider and deviated from his plan. I said at the trade deadline that Luongo might be here longer than Gillis- I still mostly believe that.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Keep Schneider, he is the goalie of the future. Luongo is a great person, and a great netminder but his time is done here.

He had a rough game, and has taken full responsibility

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
If we had traded Schneider this year, we might be leading this series. Gillis wrongly fell in love with Schneider and deviated from his plan. I said at the trade deadline that Luongo might be here longer than Gillis- I still mostly believe that.

No, there's a 90%+ chance we'd still be down 3-0. We lost the first two games with Luongo in net despite him playing well, and scored 1 goal in the first 53 minutes here, with the second goal coming when we were already down 4.

If Schneider was traded last year, we probably get some younger players who'd help us in the future, but wouldn't be difference makers in this series. Who would we have gotten? Brett Connolly and a pick?

Luongo's played great, but don't deceive yourself into thinking that we'd be any better in this series if we traded Schneider.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Generally listening to lou's post game comments feel he let out a bit more feeling, as he see's schneider in a position he has been in. Sekeres claimed he seen lou leaning down to talk to schneider in the locker for awhile.

Robertos post game comments mentioned the breakdowns and flood gates open to much on this team and has for along time, and we need a full team to show up and not just a few guys.

Sounded to me like he was basically saying him and schneider have taken the heat for the canucks for to long and its time they look at the guys in front. That was just my impression of his response.

Hal 9000*

Generally listening to lou's post game comments feel he let out a bit more feeling, as he see's schneider in a position he has been in. Sekeres claimed he seen lou leaning down to talk to schneider in the locker for awhile.

Robertos post game comments mentioned the breakdowns and flood gates open to much on this team and has for along time, and we need a full team to show up and not just a few guys.

Sounded to me like he was basically saying him and schneider have taken the heat for the canucks for to long and its time they look at the guys in front. That was just my impression of his response.

That's the way I heard it too. Good on him!

Eesh

Sep 27, 2006
Regina
In this Order......

1) Either trade Schnider or trade both Schnider and Lu. We won't get anything to improve our team by just trading Lu alone.

2) Edler needs to go. He has been our worst Dman during the playoffs... and again we can get something for him. Bieksa too but he'd have to waive his no trade

3) Trade...... Booth, Ballard, Raymond, Roy, Kassian

4) I think AV's time is up.

5) I can't see us trading the twins but at the same time I wouldn't be opposed to it

I WANT Drouin !!

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

yup, that sounds about right, our goalies far too often get the blame for our team's failures. Both Luongo and Schneider have masked some very serious problems with our skaters for a very long time

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
IMO. We've made a commitment, we should stick with it.

We keep Schneider because he is not the problem. He had his moments, but we've also seen that he's very capable to be an elite goalie. He's younger and cheaper than Luongo.

At this point, if I were Luongo and management suddenly asked me if I wanted to stay again, I don't know if I really want to, especially knowing that this team is just going to go downhill from now on.

Whether Schneider is still here after a few years is for later to decide.

We should have traded Schneider when we had the chance before we started having second thoughts. Seriously, we could have brought back a nice scoring threat and we wouldn't be in this mess.

Also, I'm against trading both of them. That would be counter productive if you ask me.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
IMO. We've made a commitment, we should stick with it.

We keep Schneider because he is not the problem. He had his moments, but we've also seen that he's very capable to be an elite goalie. He's younger and cheaper than Luongo.

At this point, if I were Luongo and management suddenly asked me if I wanted to stay again, I don't know if I really want to, especially knowing that this team is just going to go downhill from now on.

Whether Schneider is still here after a few years is for later to decide.

We should have traded Schneider when we had the chance before we started having second thoughts. Seriously, we could have brought back a nice scoring threat and we wouldn't be in this mess.

Also, I'm against trading both of them. That would be counter productive if you ask me.

Schneider has 2 years left on his contract. What if he doesn't want to come back?

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
Schneider has 2 years left on his contract. What if he doesn't want to come back?

Assuming Luongo has left the team for good... hopefully after 2 years, we would have gotten progress in the rebuilt/retooling. I can't really say for sure, but why would Schneider want to leave so fast? ;)

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Are you guys seriously all 15 years old? Does anyone here have an ounce of perspective?

Schneider has outplayed Luongo for three years straight, is younger, is still on the upswing of his career, is a better technical goalie – but has one bad period so that's it? Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds? Never mind the fact that Luongo has been looking to relocate to the East and start afresh.

This is mind-boggling.

Rumor say Cory wasn't injured... He's was stressed and sadden due to Boston bombing.. Not sure if true but someone say he and his gf were best friend with that girl that passed away at the bombing, they had a tough time dealing with it...
So a guy wonders out loud on the radio and that's "a rumor" now. Seriously?

And a friend of a friend of his fiancée that I don't believe she even knew, let alone him, and suddenly it's their "best friend"? Really?

Cory played after the bombing and was lights out.

King of the ES*

I think Luongo has played himself into the Starting Goalie spot for next year like Schneider did last year. Also it would be easier to move Schneider than Luongo.

Lu wants out. He wanted out last year.

Cory Schneider was brought up in the 2010-11 season to be showcased. He showcased very well and should've been traded. He wasn't, and now we're stuck trading a very good goalie into the weakest goaltending market ever. Gillis' fatal error.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Should have traded Schneider to load up for a legit top 6 player last season.

Lu is a beast, but his time here is over. In the postgame interview he even talked about how it was cory's team now. This team is going downhill and Lu wants nothing to do with it after this postseason. A big screw you to the media/fans that have ripped him apart over the years. Yay, we get to replace Lu with another player that is also capable of almost identical types of meltdowns. :laugh: Isn't one of the big reasons why they are even getting rid of Lu is because of his meltdowns? :laugh: Schneider is much more consistent than lu, blah, blah, blah. The lack of scoring by this team puts way too much pressure on the goalies. I knew Schneider had this in him after the 1st game of the regular season vs. the Ducks.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
This team has made such a mess of the goalie situation, I really don't care anymore. I don't like how either of them have been treated and wouldn't be surprised if both of them ask for a trade.

In the end, I think Lu probably wants to leave the most, but it will be hard to trade him.

It looks like Cory will be easiest to trade and will get the best return.

Gillis is a fool.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I'm going to be really mad if Schneider starts Game 5 if we somehow pull a win out of this.

They wont go back to lou if they win, the game will die or continue here.

I also dont think schneiders been the big problem tonight, I know your a lou fan but this would have been the game to start lou and they didnt, last game he clearly was and looked very rusty, the sharks PK has killed us no matter whose been in net, and our Pk's keep loosing coverage.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->