News Article: "Whole situation there is f--ed up"

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
To be fair Murray and crew kind of did a bad job with the money they were allowed to use resulting in all of these cost saving decisions.

I'm not so sure about that. Do we even trade for Ryan if Melnyk didn't decide to cheap out on Alfie? Doubtful. That trade was a move to try and save some of the fanbase after the face of the franchise walked over money.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
The only entitlement going around is the the idea that the fans should come in droves to get gouged in parking fees and watch a team that is terrible because the owner is unable or unwilling to run it any better than piss poor.

Only in the NHL are hardworking fans who make middle-class wages “entitled” for being upset with how a tax-scammy (former) billionaire is managing a business that they care about. I mean, when you complain about your crappy phone-service, no one says you should be greatful that Rogers and Bell are selling you phone plans. It’s ridiculous.

Melnyk is a selfish ***, who got extremely lucky in life, was sort of scammy and is now making the people of Ottawa suffer for it. People aren’t entitled for calling him out on his childish behavior.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm not so sure about that. Do we even trade for Ryan if Melnyk didn't decide to cheap out on Alfie? Doubtful. That trade was a move to try and save some of the fanbase after the face of the franchise walked over money.
True but Murray had been trying to get Ryan for awhile. Even if Alfie didn't leave and melnyk ponied up the money we would still be in situation with an underwhelming 7 million dollar player.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Well said. Melnyk will be compensated generously (probably 500 million) with the capital gains from owning the Senators. Their is no need to feel sorry for him.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Methot was a victim of circumstance, that is why he left the team. The quote saying "I didnt want to leave the team" leaves me to believe it was someone that was traded, like Turris.
That fact that the team didn't protect him is why he left. If it were up to him he would have stayed hence "I didn't want to leave the team". Turris doesn't seem like a sweary type of guy.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Well said. Melnyk will be compensated generously (probably 500 million) with the capital gains from owning the Senators. Their is no need to feel sorry for him.

Throw in a new liver and literally extent using his life. Melnycks done well

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Homosapienkind?
"homo" is a word that means man, or human.

Either definition contains the word "man" in whole or in part. It's on the record we must use "peoplekind". Dorion must henceforth be referred to as the General Peoplekindager of the Ottawa Senators!

Since Melnyk seems to be deep in debt he should be referred to as the owe-ner of the Sens

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd say, from most likely to least likely, it looks like this:

1) Methot (probably the overwhelming favorite)
2) Kelly
3) Turris
4) Phaneuf
6) DiDo
7) Neil
8) Wingels
9) MacArthur
10) Stalberg

My take:

1) Methot - tends to speak his mind
2) Neil - nothing to lose, will speak his mind

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Coming in hot with 2 bottles of Havana Club I obtained for 5$ each. Or did I miss the party.

Reactions: NyQuil

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I figured it all boyz and Girlz.......

Melnyk is in negotiations to sell the team, that's why he wants to dump salary. He wants a better price and is threatening to trade Karlsson to get the buyer to pony up more for the whole enchilada.

Think about it, he gives dorion a 3 year extension to make sure he takes care of a guy who has been loyal to him. New ownership comes in and wants to clear the deck Dorion has his money guaranteed. There is no way Dorion wants to trade Karlsson and the whole dizrepec thing was a plant by Melnyk ninja's. Anselmi knew this and was "later mutha f***a"

Boom

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
As long a EM is the owner, the Sens will never make the playoffs. You can't without hockey assets and he is turning his hockey assets into cash.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can’t see Neil speaking out against the team.

He’s been the loyal foot soldier for too long.

I agree that it’s Methot.

Reactions: aragorn

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Murray was trying to sell Alfie on accepting the Senators contract offer with the main selling point being if the Senators pay Alfredsson his ask the team would not have the available salary to add players, specifically Bobby Ryan.

If Alfredsson signed a team friendly 1 year deal, we would have probably still traded for Ryan, and I assume not signed MacArthur.

Another scenario was David Clarkson signing in Ottawa, but I think Ryan was the player specifically brought up by Murray in the Alfie negotiations. In which case, we probably would not have traded for Ryan. Either way, we were looking to make a major add in the 5M-6M range, and I don't think Ryan was a response by the organization to Alfredsson walking, rather they were waiting to pull the trade on the deal until they could resolve the Alfredsson situation and in turn find out if they had enough to add Ryan.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Murray was trying to sell Alfie on accepting the Senators contract offer with the main selling point being if the Senators pay Alfredsson his ask the team would not have the available salary to add players, specifically Bobby Ryan.

If Alfredsson signed a team friendly 1 year deal, we would have probably still traded for Ryan, and I assume not signed MacArthur.

Another scenario was David Clarkson signing in Ottawa, but I think Ryan was the player specifically brought up by Murray in the Alfie negotiations. In which case, we probably would not have traded for Ryan. Either way, we were looking to make a major add in the 5M-6M range, and I don't think Ryan was a response by the organization to Alfredsson walking, rather they were waiting to pull the trade on the deal until they could resolve the Alfredsson situation and in turn find out if they had enough to add Ryan.

Excerpt from a fantastic rundown on the situation The Malik Report - Kukla's Korner

Murray said he took Alfredsson’s departure at face value.

“Two years ago we promised to extend his contract? When we did the contract originally I don’t know any reason why I have to tell anything other than the truth. I’m 70-years-old you think I care what happens?,” said Murray. “He said we asked for another year to make it cap friendly? He asked for a four year deal with up front money. It so happened there was the fourth year at $1 million. Both of us talked and he certainly didn’t anticipate playing and J.P. didn’t anticipate him playing so I said, ‘That’s fine.’

“He played. When we talked in Las Vegas (last summer) it was about adding a year and $8 million in the second year to make it up to make it a $4.5 million year for two years. I talked to Eugene and we said we couldn’t do that.”
Murray said one year at $7 million for a 40-year-old Alfredsson wasn’t reasonable.

“(Barry) sent a message ‘Alfie’s concerned that if he signs a contract you won’t be able to add anything to the team.’ In my meeting with Alfie I told him ‘if we can get you signed, we are trying to trade for Bobby Ryan,’” said Murray.

So assuming Murray was telling the truth there, they were attempting to trade for Bobby Ryan pending the signing of Alfredsson. I assume the reason it was pending Alfredsson's signing was because they needed to know how much money would be available to them budget wise after getting Alfredsson done since both sides were so far apart.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm into a sophisticated bottle of red wine & I just fired up the bong. Life is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->