Who you trading at the deadline?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We would get picks or an AHL player not likely to make our team in the next year, so throw ins. Panik contributes, Kconn/Weal are vet depth players, I would keep them just in case we make a run and keep our chemistry on an off the ice.
OEL and Keller are the only untouchables on this team. Every other player should be in play. The chances of making the playoffs is 25%. I would be totally shocked if Chayka sits on his hands and does nothing.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The chemistry exists now, thats what matters. Late picks wont' help us.

The chemistry is already going to be upset when the injured guys come back.

Also, Conor Garland was the 123rd overall pick in 2015. So consider that before you pooh-pooh the value of picks outside the first round.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

Feb 12, 2003
I would like to see them trade all of the UFA's if they are not resigning them. The players returning from injury can help to replace them and should already be an upgrade. If they could find a way to get rid of Goose I would be impressed as well. I would rather spend the money wiser.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
OEL and Keller are the only untouchables on this team. Every other player should be in play. The chances of making the playoffs is 25%. I would be totally shocked if Chayka sits on his hands and does nothing.
25% is our best shot in 5 years at this time of the year, lets ride it out. The summer is when you make roster changing trades not the TDL. Nobody should be untouchable although I agree, highly unlikely OEL or Keller get moved.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Also, Conor Garland was the 123rd overall pick in 2015. So consider that before you pooh-pooh the value of picks outside the first round.
Tocc has a choice as to who to play with injured guys returning, that might not change the chemistry. Grabs/Richie/DVO have been around the group. There is a mental component to chemistry that can't be measured on the ice. There is also more risk in trading a player(s) to upset chemistry, especially if the signal is, we are giving up on the year. Setting culture is: we don't give up if there's a decent chance(25%) of the playoffs.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
There is also more risk in trading a player(s) to upset chemistry, especially if the signal is, we are giving up on the year.

The only signal sent by trading Panik is, "He wants more than we want to pay him in contract negotiations, so we're getting an asset." Trading Panik AND Oesterle might be closer to a "We've lost our shot at the playoffs" message.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
To me it's first all about what they want for the next contract. After that, I consider what I can get for them.

Even if we're close on numbers, if someone offers a second or third for Oesterle, it's real, real hard to say no. Even I wanted to resign him in July. Same goes for Panik. If someone is desperate to make a deal, I'd be inclined to take advantage and hope he comes back in July. I'd be all ears this time of the year. Nothing set in stone.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
What's your fan bases general opinion on Jason Demers, value wise? Late pick - cap dump territory, mid pick-2nd rounder territory, or more?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What's your fan bases general opinion on Jason Demers, value wise? Late pick - cap dump territory, mid pick-2nd rounder territory, or more?
He is our only top 4 RHD, Hammer is a lefty playing the right side. I don't see him being moved an he wouldn't be worth a lot anyway.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tocc has a choice as to who to play with injured guys returning, that might not change the chemistry. Grabs/Richie/DVO have been around the group. There is a mental component to chemistry that can't be measured on the ice. There is also more risk in trading a player(s) to upset chemistry, especially if the signal is, we are giving up on the year. Setting culture is: we don't give up if there's a decent chance(25%) of the playoffs.
I don't think trading any third or fourth line players sends a negative message, especially if the players replacing them are better.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
He is our only top 4 RHD, Hammer is a lefty playing the right side. I don't see him being moved an he wouldn't be worth a lot anyway.

Fair enough. I have the same reasoning, want a RHD to play top4 on the Oilers next season as all we have is Larsson. I know about Hammer playing RHD but capfriendly has Goligoski listed as a RHD as well even though I swore remembering he was a LHD... which he is.

Was thinking of a basis of a deal around Russel(4mx2 left) + Benning/Petrovic for Demers + Connaghtan
with a pick going to the Coyotes, lets say a 3rd. Change of scenery for Russel who had a good start of the year but as has been pretty awful for the past 10-15 games.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think Demers is any better or worse than Russel is these days. Both are somewhat diminished assets.
Want nothing to do with Mad Dog or Petrovic. Gross.

I'd deal either or both of Demers and KConn, but not to take on salary for the sake of a mid-round pick. That's disgusting.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Next 3 games, tonight against STL, Sat Toronto and Monday @Calgary complete a 9 game stretch in 18 days against teams currently in playoff spots.

The following 13 games see only 3 current playoff teams: @EDM, @Van, Peg, (Trade Deadline), Florida, Van, Detroit, Anaheim, Calgary, LA, @Chicago, @STL, Ana, and Edm.

The Coyotes should be in the playoff race until at least until mid-March.

Don't see them being sellers.

Reactions: Lawson of Anarchy

Feb 12, 2003
I don't think trading any third or fourth line players sends a negative message, especially if the players replacing them are better.
Exactly, it's not like we are trading a pending UFA that is leading the team in scoring and our starting goalie ala Columbus or two of our top line forwards like Ottawa.

Two or three replacement level guys that were not going to be re-signed is just good asset management. That is if there is any market for them. If we are talking about bags of pucks and 7th round picks, sure it is worth retaining those players for the push.

This year looks to be an odd deadline because the East is pretty much set, while the West is a conference of legit playoff teams and nearly everyone else is on the bubble. If the West bubble teams decide to compete and not sell then the market will tighten and you'll see prices go up. Right now the majority of the trade market is in East in terms of valuable assets. I don't see much of an arms race for the West bubble teams other than someone trying to save their job (Dallas, Minnesota, Colorado?). I question how much even Anaheim and LA will sell off, because they are not that much further back than the big bubble.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It could disrupt chemistry an how are/is the players replacing them going to be better? Do you mean who we would acquire or somebody in Tucson? All I am saying is that it is working now, lets not fix it for more scrap or second or later picks. Just my opinion, ride the horse we have the rest of the way. Chayka isn't smarter than all other GM's, he should be careful an not risk damaging the chemistry.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It could disrupt chemistry an how are/is the players replacing them going to be better? Do you mean who we would acquire or somebody in Tucson? All I am saying is that it is working now, lets not fix it for more scrap or second or later picks. Just my opinion, ride the horse we have the rest of the way. Chayka isn't smarter than all other GM's, he should be careful an not risk damaging the chemistry.
I'm talking about Richardson and Grabner.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
St. Louis won around 9 in a row , like Philly.
AZ is hanging around, credit to them.
But they will fall short of the playoffs.
RT's done an amazing job.
AZ is not built for the playoffs. They would have ZERO chance.
It doesn't matter that they might have a very limited chance to win a playoff series. It matters to the guys in the room. The confidence they gain in themselves knowing that even if they get swept in the playoffs or miss the playoffs by a few points is extremely valuable to them come next year.
Also, selling off pieces this year signaling they're giving up kills the team morale. How many more years can we afford to just keep tanking and giving up pieces for a minute return?

Reactions: cobra427

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It doesn't matter that they might have a very limited chance to win a playoff series. It matters to the guys in the room. The confidence they gain in themselves knowing that even if they get swept in the playoffs or miss the playoffs by a few points is extremely valuable to them come next year.
Also, selling off pieces this year signaling they're giving up kills the team morale. How many more years can we afford to just keep tanking and giving up pieces for a minute return?
for sure making the playoffs would be huge but they wont make it.

And it's not so much giving away the Panik's of the world. It's constantly not developing and losing top prospects that you have had. Turris, Wheeler, Domi, and Strome. All doing better elsewhere and just killing this franchise by getting nothing or little in return (Strome trade still up in air for sure and Domi to a lesser extent , Domi is better and in a better contract situation for Montreal).

Reactions: _Del_

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
for sure making the playoffs would be huge but they wont make it.

And it's not so much giving away the Panik's of the world. It's constantly not developing and losing top prospects that you have had. Turris, Wheeler, Domi, and Strome. All doing better elsewhere and just killing this franchise by getting nothing or little in return (Strome trade still up in air for sure and Domi to a lesser extent , Domi is better and in a better contract situation for Montreal).

That's another thing that baffles the mind in the Domi and Strome trades. How is it a good idea to give up on still developing, highly drafted, cost controlled talent for guys making a lot more money that are soon to be up for contracts at even bigger pay days? All while giving fat contracts to injured players. Does Chayka not know his owner is broke?

Reactions: azcanuck

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
That's another thing that baffles the mind in the Domi and Strome trades. How is it a good idea to give up on still developing, highly drafted, cost controlled talent for guys making a lot more money that are soon to be up for contracts at even bigger pay days? All while giving fat contracts to injured players. Does Chayka not know his owner is broke?

Well in Domi's case he may not have wanted to play here.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

A little quick research: 20% of Coyotes 2nd Rd picks went on to become regular NHLers. It's worth taking a chance, but odds are even a 2nd rounder will not become a valuable asset.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
A little quick research: 20% of Coyotes 2nd Rd picks went on to become regular NHLers. It's worth taking a chance, but odds are even a 2nd rounder will not become a valuable asset.
An 80% chance a player won't ever be an NHL player is not good odds. That player not being as good as Panik or maybe even Osterle/Kconn as well, isn't appealing when you might make the playoffs.

Even besides the playoff argument, we don't want our culture to turn into always giving up and not keeping the best team together. That is what you have in Edmonton, a culture problem, but for different reasons. That is hard to change even with player and coaching changes. The best plan for the future is for the Coyotes to play hard and play together the rest of the year, that will help us more next year than late picks regardless of making the playoffs. It sets the tone and expectation level moving forward.

The minute you trade for picks, it sends a signal we gave up an its ok for players to coast. Instilling a play hard attitude no matter what, that is Toccs job. Guys that don't do that should be shipped out in the summer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is true, but for the better drafting, scouting teams, these are valuable. DeBrincat, Girard in the 2016 draft, Aho, Carlo and Cerilli in 2015. You just have to hit on one.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
This is true, but for the better drafting, scouting teams, these are valuable. DeBrincat, Girard in the 2016 draft, Aho, Carlo and Cerilli in 2015. You just have to hit on one.

I agree, worth the shot. My general theory is that drafting 18-year-olds is a crap shoot. Very few are a sure thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad