Who you trading at the deadline?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The converse to your position is that if Panik and Oesterle are "scraps," then why not get something back of value for them rather than let them walk for free at season's end? If they're "scraps," then what do they contribute to chemistry if they're kept for continuity?

Continuity is good for the core, not for the fringe. There's no way on earth you can convince me that Panik and Oesterle are part of our core going forward. Chayka needs to keep the core together to develop, I will concede the point. But those who are depth or fringe players who are certainly not coming back for the long term should net us assets. I'm not as down on non-first-round picks as you seem to be, but who's to say that Panik/Oesterle would go for picks? Maybe a team needing a good depth veteran for a playoff push might part with a decent prospect in exchange for Panik. It's not as if Tucson doesn't need depth (they only dressed 17 players last night).

I figure that the players on the team are professional to know that trades are made in an effort to improve the team, and they realize that even if they are playing well, there's no room for complacency. It's just as important to let your younger players in the system know that there is opportunity available for them as it is to maintain a positive equilibrium. Would you rather send a message to Richard Panik that he doesn't have to get movers until July, or tell Michael Bunting that now is the time to see if he's got the goods to stick at the top level?

Continuity is all players, not just the core players, that is the difference. I had rather let them walk for free and continue to build the culture of winning today being the most important thing. Culture/continuity, and a chance at the playoffs trumps a small return that has a 90% chance of being worthless anyway.
Bunting should know or be told now is the time. When your up, you get your chance. He has to beat out other players to stick now, next week or next year. He has to earn it, you don't make room for him. Garland is a great example. Panik is a UFA, he will play hard no matter what, another reason to keep him for the playoff run, his next contract depends on it.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The other thing is Tucson is right on the precipice of a playoff berth as well, so we can't rob them of too many guys. Every vet traded is another young player borrowed from Tucson. I think we'll see Steve Sullivan be fairly active in bringing some reinforcements to Tucson, depending on our injury situation.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The next time we get into the playoffs, it will come right down to the end of the year. It could be this year, next, or the year after. I don't see the point of moving scraps that will return second round or later picks. How has that worked for us so far? If we had a high value player that wasn't going to sign here, then maybe we make a trade.

The team is playing pretty well lately, all things considered and has an outside shot at the playoffs. If we trae Goose/Panik/Grabner, it signals we are giving up on the season. That sends a message to the players that we don't believe this group can make it into the playoffs. "Trader John" has made enough moves and enough changes for me, then add in the injuries. To me, continuity an chemistry is more important for this team right now then trying to outsmart somebody or plan for 2-3 years from now by selling important role players for picks. For whatever reason, Tocc has this group looking solid, lets stick with it, get a few players back, an see what happens. So we don't get the 50th and 75th pick in next years draft for Panik or whoever, who cares, its a 5% chance of being a Panik/Osterle anyway. Stay the course.
You don't want to move scraps? We have a lot of injuries so the team you see now will not be the team that starts next year, so the chemistry that you are talking about now with the current line up probably won't exist. There are four or five on the current roster that I would have no trouble trading. Even if we had no injuries we probably would be a bubble team. We are not good enough. Besides getting picks back we clear up contract room for our big signing in the off season.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
35+ point forward last 2 years that can PK, decent on D and on a forecheck. He is pretty consistent in all areas. You can't expect him to be a 50 point forward, thats all.
I like Panik, but he is a UFA and he just might be valuable come TTD. We can then offer him a contract in the summer. The way it sounds, Dvo, Grabner and Richardson are close to returning so we will have more than enough to fill Panik's role.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Should be doing everything possible to try to pry away Trouba, but it might have to wait until the offseason. Seems like a foregone conclusion that he’s walking next year either way, so I have no idea what the ask would be but I can’t imagine they want to lose him for nothing. A lefty veteran puck mover with term left like Goligoski might interest them. I think everyone gives him a little too much crap, and think he could really help WPG in the playoffs. Wonder if Goligoski + Merkley + 3rd round pick would do it. No idea..but having the D be:

OEL-Hammer
Chychrun-Trouba
Oesterle/Capo-Demers

....would be top notch.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
The converse to your position is that if Panik and Oesterle are "scraps," then why not get something back of value for them rather than let them walk for free at season's end? If they're "scraps," then what do they contribute to chemistry if they're kept for continuity?

Continuity is good for the core, not for the fringe. There's no way on earth you can convince me that Panik and Oesterle are part of our core going forward. Chayka needs to keep the core together to develop, I will concede the point. But those who are depth or fringe players who are certainly not coming back for the long term should net us assets. I'm not as down on non-first-round picks as you seem to be, but who's to say that Panik/Oesterle would go for picks? Maybe a team needing a good depth veteran for a playoff push might part with a decent prospect in exchange for Panik. It's not as if Tucson doesn't need depth (they only dressed 17 players last night).

I figure that the players on the team are professional to know that trades are made in an effort to improve the team, and they realize that even if they are playing well, there's no room for complacency. It's just as important to let your younger players in the system know that there is opportunity available for them as it is to maintain a positive equilibrium. Would you rather send a message to Richard Panik that he doesn't have to get movers until July, or tell Michael Bunting that now is the time to see if he's got the goods to stick at the top level?

We already traded Domi, Strome, Perlini, MacInnis, Duclair, Rieder, Martinook, Domingue, and some other pieces you could argue were a part of the young core at the time.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We don't trade anyone. We may be getting some healthy bodies back, so players like Kempe and Bunting get sent back down. Maybe Connauton or Weal gets dealt for a draft pick. But that is about all I could see taking place.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Should be doing everything possible to try to pry away Trouba, but it might have to wait until the offseason. Seems like a foregone conclusion that he’s walking next year either way, so I have no idea what the ask would be but I can’t imagine they want to lose him for nothing. A lefty veteran puck mover with term left like Goligoski might interest them. I think everyone gives him a little too much crap, and think he could really help WPG in the playoffs. Wonder if Goligoski + Merkley + 3rd round pick would do it. No idea..but having the D be:

OEL-Hammer
Chychrun-Trouba
Oesterle/Capo-Demers

....would be top notch.
It will cost way more then that for Trouba. Think Chych+Fischer type of return. It will sting.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You don't want to move scraps? We have a lot of injuries so the team you see now will not be the team that starts next year, so the chemistry that you are talking about now with the current line up probably won't exist. There are four or five on the current roster that I would have no trouble trading. Even if we had no injuries we probably would be a bubble team. We are not good enough. Besides getting picks back we clear up contract room for our big signing in the off season.:)
The chemistry exists now, thats what matters. Late picks wont' help us.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
It will cost way more then that for Trouba. Think Chych+Fischer type of return. It will sting.

I really don’t think so. They are about to lose him for nothing at all if they don’t trade him. Goligoski + Fischer + a 3rd I would be cool with.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Trouba is still an RFA. He can't really go anywhere. While I don't see him signing long term in Winnipeg (and I think he's gone this summer), I still think they'll get a good return for him.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not Chayka's guys though which I think is the key.

It's really getting down to a short list isn't it? In terms of active roster, the only Maloney guys left:

Fischer
Bunting
Garland
OEL
Connauton
Richardson (signed on Chayka's recommendation)
Dvorak
Capobianco

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Connauton

That reminds me though, I think anyone Chayka affirmatively extended with a contract wouldn't count as a non-Chayka guy.

So KConn, Domingue, Rieder, Martinook, Dvorak, Richardson might not have been acquired by Chayka but he did pay them when the bill came.
Though that's still kind of fungible obviously as no one was happy with how the Rieder contract negotiation went down.

Fischer could be a dead man walking though :laugh:

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

OEL-Hammer
Chychrun-Trouba
Oesterle/Capo-Demers

....would be top notch.
As a Coyotes fan I am a big fan of getting Trouba to Arizona. He would be a fantastic add.

As a Jets fan, positive there is zero interest in Goligoski. Merkely couldn't crack the NHL roster. The 3rd is meh. It would cost significantly more.

Reactions: cobra427

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You have said that all year, and that was before the injuries, yet here we are. The Coyotes may be pretenders but so was St. Louis and now they are in. Colorado was in, and now they are not. There are always upsets in the first round of playoffs, so they might be gone in a sweep, but they also may upset someone.
St. Louis won around 9 in a row , like Philly.
AZ is hanging around, credit to them.
But they will fall short of the playoffs.
RT's done an amazing job.
AZ is not built for the playoffs. They would have ZERO chance.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We don't trade anyone. We may be getting some healthy bodies back, so players like Kempe and Bunting get sent back down. Maybe Connauton or Weal gets dealt for a draft pick. But that is about all I could see taking place.
You may be right, but there will be a trade or two. It seems Chayka trades comes out of left field and surprises everyone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The chemistry exists now, thats what matters. Late picks wont' help us.
I agree about chemistry, but we had injuries and they still found chemistry. Grabner and Richardson come back have played together and have chemistry. Demers comes back and plays with OEL who had chemistry. You mean to tell you wouldn't trade a Weal or KConn or Panik for picks if those players returned from injury? Also, who said we trade for picks?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
St. Louis were talking about trading their best players a month ago, and now look at them. Colorado is doing just the opposite of St. Louis. I agree, we aren't built for the playoffs, but we could easily upset someone in the first round as it happens most years.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
AZ doesn't have zero chance of being in the playoffs or winning a round. It has happened so many times that a team gets hot, makes it in, and wins a round or goes further.

Last edited:
Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree about chemistry, but we had injuries and they still found chemistry. Grabner and Richardson come back have played together and have chemistry. Demers comes back and plays with OEL who had chemistry. You mean to tell you wouldn't trade a Weal or KConn or Panik for picks if those players returned from injury? Also, who said we trade for picks?
We would get picks or an AHL player not likely to make our team in the next year, so throw ins. Panik contributes, Kconn/Weal are vet depth players, I would keep them just in case we make a run and keep our chemistry on an off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad