Who you trading at the deadline?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The Coyotes are total pretenders with little shot at the playoffs. Even if they made it with the crew of powder puffs they have they'd be gone in a sweep. Total great job by RT just to bring this group to this point.

At the deadline I think the Yotes three guys with some value to other teams and would be deemed expendable are Brad Richardson, Richard Panik and Nik Cousins. Three grinder type of wingers teams would see as possible 4th line additions. I think we could get a third ? for Brad and maybe Panik , probably a lot less for Nik and probably why I would keep him. He's been very good for us. I'd actually prefer to keep Richardson too but he could be moved. I wouldn't sell off anyone else. We need guys like Fisher, Chucky etc moving forward. And guys like vinny, Osterle just wouldn't have any value for teams playing in the playoffs. They are too weak and not skilled enough.

Derek Stepan makes to much and just doesn't offer a team much for the playoffs. Nobody on our D outside of Hammer and OEL are worth a lick and I wouldn't trade those two guys. They are a great pairing for next season.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Brad Richardson has a NMC and is one of our few centers. I don't think we give him up. Most likely trade I see is Richard Panik. We can survive without him. I hope we don't do a lot at the deadline. This season has been too injury-riddled to draw any conclusions about how we should fix the team (unless we can find a way for guys to just stop getting injured).

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The Coyotes are total pretenders with little shot at the playoffs. Even if they made it with the crew of powder puffs they have they'd be gone in a sweep. Total great job by RT just to bring this group to this point.

At the deadline I think the Yotes three guys with some value to other teams and would be deemed expendable are Brad Richardson, Richard Panik and Nik Cousins. Three grinder type of wingers teams would see as possible 4th line additions. I think we could get a third ? for Brad and maybe Panik , probably a lot less for Nik and probably why I would keep him. He's been very good for us. I'd actually prefer to keep Richardson too but he could be moved. I wouldn't sell off anyone else. We need guys like Fisher, Chucky etc moving forward. And guys like vinny, Osterle just wouldn't have any value for teams playing in the playoffs. They are too weak and not skilled enough.

Derek Stepan makes to much and just doesn't offer a team much for the playoffs. Nobody on our D outside of Hammer and OEL are worth a lick and I wouldn't trade those two guys. They are a great pairing for next season.
We are close enough to a playoff birth, I don't see us selling assets. Panik/Cousins/etc, anybody we might trade will get us a second or later round pick. Its better to keep the continuity an the upside of these players even if our playoff chances are minimal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We are close enough to a playoff birth, I don't see us selling assets. Panik/Cousins/etc, anybody we might trade will get us a second or later round pick. Its better to keep the continuity an the upside of these players even if our playoff chances are minimal.
If we lose the next three games, this year is toast. May as well get assets. We aren't good enough. Bring up some kids from Tucson and see how they look, then head into the off season and regroup. If you think Chayka sits on his hands at this time of year you are crazy. Hell, he can't go a month without making a trade. It's not if he makes a trade, it's how many. :)

Reactions: azcanuck and doaner

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd try to keep Panik if he has a reasonable ask. Just need to push him down the lineup.

No issue moving KConn or Oesterle. Presumably the coaching staff/Chayka have decided on Oesterle's fate by now.

We're really not that good. Most of our lineup is replacement level. Those guys are easy to replace-- if the right deal pops up, good luck with your new team.

This roster should represent a minimum -threshold of talent moving forward though. No sense in dumping even the slightly better than average guys unless there is a legitimate plan to replace them.

I'd like to see us add some size and/or take a flyer on a young guy buried somewhere if the prices are right. No problem with top nine guys on an expiring contract, either, assuming we don't pay a premium. Get an extended look or try out going into the offseason.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If we lose the next three games, this year is toast. May as well get assets. We aren't good enough. Bring up some kids from Tucson and see how they look, then head into the off season and regroup. If you think Chayka sits on his hands at this time of year you are crazy. Hell, he can't go a month without making a trade. It's not if he makes a trade, it's how many. :)
1-0:) We can keep getting second and third round picks or keep some continuity with what we have. I would stay pat unless the right deal comes along. Second round picks or later are of no interest to me.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Define reasonable ask for Panik. Is it below his current 2.8?

2.5-3, no more than 3 years, I'd bring him back. More than that, my interest rapidly wanes.

We only get sick of him because he's leaned on to be one of our best skill players. He's too inconsistent to be that guy. He's perfect for the third line and to slide up when needed. We need more skill, not less.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
1-0:) We can keep getting second and third round picks or keep some continuity with what we have. I would stay pat unless the right deal comes along. Second round picks or later are of no interest to me.
Like Del said, most of our lineup is replacement level players. Not sure what Chayka is going to do, but he will do something. More picks we get can always help in another trade.

Reactions: SR

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't think we trade Richardson. He is the only one that knows how to win a FO, and he is cheap. I don't think there is much Chayka can do, but I'm sure the gunslinger will find a trade or two that he likes.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
2.5-3, no more than 3 years, I'd bring him back. More than that, my interest rapidly wanes.

We only get sick of him because he's leaned on to be one of our best skill players. He's too inconsistent to be that guy. He's perfect for the third line and to slide up when needed. We need more skill, not less.

The money is fine I guess but giving a term deal to Panik just seems like giving him a license to float.

I doubt he's enough of a room guy where losing him is a big issue. I think I'd take the same amount of money and shop for a new face. Brett Connolly for example (pending UFA) is similar age/production so I wonder if you could get him for the Panik money.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
There’s really no point to being a seller this year. We don’t have a guy that is going to be a difference maker on a contending team. We don’t have a high return rental player. This is our year to just sit quietly and let the season play out.

Reactions: cobra427

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
More picks we get can always help in another trade.

This is where I’m at to. I think teams are really going to value picks these next two drafts so if we can load up and ship em out for serviceable players better than some
on the current roster I’m all for it.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
With so many injuries can the Coyotes field an NHL roster if they trade away a few pieces?

Obvious candidates are the UFAs on the roster:
Weal
Panik
Oesterle

All 3 would return picks which opens up roster spots for free agent signings including over agers in college.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There’s really no point to being a seller this year. We don’t have a guy that is going to be a difference maker on a contending team. We don’t have a high return rental player. This is our year to just sit quietly and let the season play out.
Most contenders would like to add a top end rental, but the price is sometimes way too steep, so they start to look for depth in their lower lines or in case of injury. Playoffs is a different animal as it's much more physical and the schedule is demanding, Players like Panik, Gogo, Richardson and Cousins become attractive. It also depends what management plans are going forward.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You have said that all year, and that was before the injuries, yet here we are. The Coyotes may be pretenders but so was St. Louis and now they are in. Colorado was in, and now they are not. There are always upsets in the first round of playoffs, so they might be gone in a sweep, but they also may upset someone.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You have said that all year, and that was before the injuries, yet here we are. The Coyotes may be pretenders but so was St. Louis and now they are in. Colorado was in, and now they are not. There are always upsets in the first round of playoffs, so they might be gone in a sweep, but they also may upset someone.

The problem is that the Coyotes basically have to win out up to the deadline in order just to get the last wild card spot. I admire the way the team hasn't quit on Tocchet up until now, but the odds of this happening are extremely remote if you ask me. If I have to eat crow on this, I'd be delighted - but if the team hasn't performed a standings miracle before the deadline, you have to do some asset managing and future planning.

Panik is not going to take a discount deal. And he's not worth more than what he's getting paid now. So IMO you move him at the deadline. I'd move Oesterle too if he has any value.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Send Goligoski to Pittsburgh for literally anything, probably one of the few places he might waive the NMC for. He's actually played better since Ritchie scrambled his brains, but at 33 years old he has no future with this team. Hopefully it would free up a roster slot and more importantly it gets that awful contract off the books.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Send Goligoski to Pittsburgh for literally anything, probably one of the few places he might waive the NMC for. He's actually played better since Ritchie scrambled his brains, but at 33 years old he has no future with this team. Hopefully it would free up a roster slot and more importantly it gets that awful contract off the books.
He wouldn't make Pitt better and they have almost no Cap space this year or next. They have two D on IR that are at worst as good as Goligoski.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Richardson and Grabner play so well together. They're like Peanut Butter and Jelly. Just great, when they were both healthy, that was some of the funnest hockey I've watched us play. So yeah, I'll be upset if either one gets traded.

On a side note; my birthday is on the trade deadline this year, hoping Chakya surprises me by getting something good we can use.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He wouldn't make Pitt better and they have almost no Cap space this year or next. They have two D on IR that are at worst as good as Goligoski.

I think people are still underestimating Goligoski. He would fit on a lot of teams top 4 right now. His contract hurts his value. Wonder if Montreal would be interested and if Goligoski would waive. Hell Vancouver is making a push as well and would probably have the room to keep Goligoski through the remainder of his contract. I think he can bring bacl at least a 3rd if not a 2nd with a pick of ours going back.

Stone returned a 3rd to Calgary but was an upcoming ufa if I remember correctly.

Reactions: _Del_

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The problem is that the Coyotes basically have to win out up to the deadline in order just to get the last wild card spot. I admire the way the team hasn't quit on Tocchet up until now, but the odds of this happening are extremely remote if you ask me. If I have to eat crow on this, I'd be delighted - but if the team hasn't performed a standings miracle before the deadline, you have to do some asset managing and future planning.

Panik is not going to take a discount deal. And he's not worth more than what he's getting paid now. So IMO you move him at the deadline. I'd move Oesterle too if he has any value.
The next time we get into the playoffs, it will come right down to the end of the year. It could be this year, next, or the year after. I don't see the point of moving scraps that will return second round or later picks. How has that worked for us so far? If we had a high value player that wasn't going to sign here, then maybe we make a trade.

The team is playing pretty well lately, all things considered and has an outside shot at the playoffs. If we trae Goose/Panik/Grabner, it signals we are giving up on the season. That sends a message to the players that we don't believe this group can make it into the playoffs. "Trader John" has made enough moves and enough changes for me, then add in the injuries. To me, continuity an chemistry is more important for this team right now then trying to outsmart somebody or plan for 2-3 years from now by selling important role players for picks. For whatever reason, Tocc has this group looking solid, lets stick with it, get a few players back, an see what happens. So we don't get the 50th and 75th pick in next years draft for Panik or whoever, who cares, its a 5% chance of being a Panik/Osterle anyway. Stay the course.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The next time we get into the playoffs, it will come right down to the end of the year. It could be this year, next, or the year after. I don't see the point of moving scraps that will return second round or later picks. How has that worked for us so far? If we had a high value player that wasn't going to sign here, then maybe we make a trade.

The team is playing pretty well lately, all things considered and has an outside shot at the playoffs. If we trae Goose/Panik/Grabner, it signals we are giving up on the season. That sends a message to the players that we don't believe this group can make it into the playoffs. "Trader John" has made enough moves and enough changes for me, then add in the injuries. To me, continuity an chemistry is more important for this team right now then trying to outsmart somebody or plan for 2-3 years from now by selling important role players for picks. For whatever reason, Tocc has this group looking solid, lets stick with it, get a few players back, an see what happens. So we don't get the 50th and 75th pick in next years draft for Panik or whoever, who cares, its a 5% chance of being a Panik/Osterle anyway. Stay the course.

The converse to your position is that if Panik and Oesterle are "scraps," then why not get something back of value for them rather than let them walk for free at season's end? If they're "scraps," then what do they contribute to chemistry if they're kept for continuity?

Continuity is good for the core, not for the fringe. There's no way on earth you can convince me that Panik and Oesterle are part of our core going forward. Chayka needs to keep the core together to develop, I will concede the point. But those who are depth or fringe players who are certainly not coming back for the long term should net us assets. I'm not as down on non-first-round picks as you seem to be, but who's to say that Panik/Oesterle would go for picks? Maybe a team needing a good depth veteran for a playoff push might part with a decent prospect in exchange for Panik. It's not as if Tucson doesn't need depth (they only dressed 17 players last night).

I figure that the players on the team are professional to know that trades are made in an effort to improve the team, and they realize that even if they are playing well, there's no room for complacency. It's just as important to let your younger players in the system know that there is opportunity available for them as it is to maintain a positive equilibrium. Would you rather send a message to Richard Panik that he doesn't have to get movers until July, or tell Michael Bunting that now is the time to see if he's got the goods to stick at the top level?

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad