Who you think gonna play the 3rd 1st line spot in game #2, vs Sharks; Nylander, Caggiula or?

Who will play in the 1st line with Toews&Kane vs Sharks?

• Total voters

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Add a fourth option: a random Finn. :)

For the record, it'll be Nylander. And your fixation on him is odd, especially in light of his play.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Add a fourth option: a random Finn. :)

For the record, it'll be Nylander. And your fixation on him is odd, especially in light of his play.

What does this mean?. You thought he had a good game? Odd... because outside his goal
(which was not very good goal from Hart, even if it was through the legs of D) and 1 or 2 solid passes, (thou that deke was pretty sick)
he wasn't good at all, typical Nylander game i'd say + after he was shifted to 4th line (in later minutes promoted to 3rd line)
he didn't even touch the puck, not even once.

If you think i have something against Nylander, you are joking right?. I was happy for him, i think it came pretty clear in my GDT post.
He is not one of my favorite players, but i still wish nothing but good tidings for him.

Odd post all together, this thread is about asking Hawks fans who do you think will play in the 1st line in the next game.
- and i created because of the below and that created something to think about for game 2

Caggiula was promoted to the first and it was a good thing for the game, Caggiula brought instant impact,
the skating, checking, physical play, in the first shift he created lots of room for both Kaner and Toews and they created a scoring chance
straight away and continued to do well in the remaining shifts. I think it was a big mistake in late 3rd to put DeBrincat-Toews-Kane together,
it just doesn't work, i think the biggest "problem" is Kane in that trio, on PP it works like a magic, but 5 on 5, holy hell its a mess

PS. I have no idea why would anyone think this was some sort of iffy thread instead of legit one.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ the obsession continues.

Once again I will quote Powers much more rational view on Nylander:

"Alex Nylander is still a work in progress, but there's definitely something there. He showed that again in the season opener."

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I really hope it's Cagguila. Toews' game is completely tied down with Nylander because he has to do all the board work. As soon as Cagguila comes in he starts buzzing.

I liked Saad - Shaw - Nylander when it was out there.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
For whatever reason Caggiula seems to make the Tiewscline play better....certainly belongs energy and can track down pucks on a forecheck ...or getscto loose picks in the d-zone and neutral zones too..He himself may not score much..but hisxenergycand retrieval abilities cause more chances forcT and K...IF Tand K stay together...if you put Kane on the D-Cat line their scoring efficiency is greater than Kane with Toews from the data sets ...However D-Cat Nd Strome are not good defensively in their own zone so Kane on thatblinevin 5z5 can be problematical defensively.

...so I think you limit D'Cat and Kane together to 4x4 or 3x3 or pp situations only.

Cagiula Toews Kane seems best for 5x5 regular shifts..

Would like to see D-Cat Strome Kubalik

Leaving a Nylander Dach Saad 3rd line

Or you could do D-Cat Strome Saad

Nylande Dach Kubalik 3rd line ..

The key point is Kampf is neither a good enough goal scorer orbpkaymaker to justify 3.C spit..

He is 4th line only material only..

Well where does Shaw play?

4th line should be Shaw at RW (for now until Nylander proves he can or cannot hold down 3LW on which case move Shaw to 3RW and Saad back to 3LW )and a rotation of Carpenter Kampf and Snith in the other 2 spots.

The key point is that for Hawks to have Ny chance this season Dach must take thec3C spot and make a productive scoring line of it.. Kampf not capable of doing that....sorry JC but I think you know that already

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I really hope it's Cagguila. Toews' game is completely tied down with Nylander because he has to do all the board work. As soon as Cagguila comes in he starts buzzing.

I liked Saad - Shaw - Nylander when it was out there.

Ya, if the basic formula to a line is playmaker-shooter-grinder then you’d prefer Toews playing the playmaker role and not the grinder role.

I said this earlier in the offseason that Nylander on the wing essentially makes that line a PAK line and forces Toews into the Anisimov role.

Is that what we really want for a guy who just showed he’s capable of producing elite offense?

I think caggiula, Saad (when he’s working hard), or Shaw makes a lot of sense on that line.

As so many have repeatedly said over the last year, Toews and Kane have always worked best together when they had a Bickell or a Brouwer on the LW, they don’t need a flashy playmaker there.

How about

Caggiula-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Kubalik
Saad-Shaw-Nylander
Kampf-Carpenter-Smith

Those second and third lines are each legit scoring lines and should provide more than enough depth scoring.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Ya, if the basic formula to a line is playmaker-shooter-grinder then you’d prefer Toews playing the playmaker role and not the grinder role.

I said this earlier in the offseason that Nylander on the wing essentially makes that line a PAK line and forces Toews into the Anisimov role.

Is that what we really want for a guy who just showed he’s capable of producing elite offense?

I think caggiula, Saad (when he’s working hard), or Shaw makes a lot of sense on that line.

As so many have repeatedly said over the last year, Toews and Kane have always worked best together when they had a Bickell or a Brouwer on the LW, they don’t need a flashy playmaker there.

How about

Caggiula-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Kubalik
Saad-Shaw-Nylander
Kampf-Carpenter-Smith

Those second and third lines are each legit scoring lines and should provide more than enough depth scoring.

Yeah, I'm sure the coaching staff knows it too, but they are hoping Nylander can develop a better off the puck game next to the two stars. Not the best strategy though imo.

It would be so nice if Dach could grab that 3C spot, I think him and Nylander could work really good (with a grinder at rw).

Reactions: Fortyfives

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah, I'm sure the coaching staff knows it too, but they are hoping Nylander can develop a better off the puck game next to the two stars. Not the best strategy though imo.

It would be so nice if Dach could grab that 3C spot, I think him and Nylander could work really good (with a grinder at rw).

If Dach comes in, move shaw next to Toews and Kane (this was what I thought shaw was acquired for anyway) and let Smith, caggiula, and kampf battle for who plays on the fourth line with Carp

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Yeah, I'm sure the coaching staff knows it too, but they are hoping Nylander can develop a better off the puck ...

It's a, "want to" thing and not the guy's game - same as w/ Perlini. Tool box equipped, mechanic no likey getting grease under his nails, tho.

I love Caggiula's heart and he's the almost exact opposite player. Body type won't / can't hold up to the night in / night our pounding, unfortunately. Very frustrating to see - and why tough for me anyway - cheer Nylander & Perlini on. Is what it is ...

Last edited:

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
All those in favor of #91, yet only one vote, so far.

I'm the "someone else" vote. That's someone combining the best qualities of #91 and #92

Last edited:

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
If only Kubalik were a LW ...
And brings the point ... This Hawk roster to me not much chemistry and/or round pegs for round holes, square ones for squares ...
Season one game old tho ... maybe something cooks up forward.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
I don't see Nylander sticking. That line was caved in the D-zone the entire second period (I didn't see the first period). That forced JC to make the change in the third.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
If only Kubalik were a LW ...
And brings the point ... This Hawk roster to me not much chemistry and/or round pegs for round holes, square ones for squares ...
Season one game old tho ... maybe something cooks up forward.

Kubalik absolutely does play LW.

my hope for the net game is this;

Nylander-Toews-Saad
Kubalik-dach-kane
cat-stroke-shaw
cagguila-Kampf-whoever but I see no reason why Perlini should not be there the next game but you know "role players" are the bomb according to some so it will likely be one of smith/carpenter

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Nylander scored a goal by taking the puck and just shooting it by the Goalie.

That alone tells me he will get more time on that line.
Can change both depending on how the game is developing.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't see Nylander sticking. That line was caved in the D-zone the entire second period (I didn't see the first period). That forced JC to make the change in the third.

But at the same time JC has made it quite clear that he is comfortable rotating Nylander and Caggs.

But I hafta admit that it thoroughly pisses me off that Kane, as good as he is on offense, refuses to improve his defensive side and too often floats around letting his linemates do all the work without the puck. I know it won't happen but he could take a page out of Stevie Y's book who became a great two-way player in his thirties.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
"...
Nylander-Toews-Saad

Kane should notch pt #1000 this season & hopefully before the AllStar farce 'er I mean, game.

The captain, I think. would like to get there eventually too himself and having 88 on his line VERY helpful that milestone. Kaner too, prolly up for a C can finish his beauty setups.
Win-win for both future HOFers.

Furthermore, I think Jonny thinks - and rightfully so - he's gotten his share of scar tissue already, "did his time" puck retrieving & blue paint mud wrestling - let somebody else now i.e. the other winger on the line, do the dirty work.

But ...
- Nylander won't touch that job w/ a 10ft stick.
- Perlini w/ an even longer one.
- Saad used to but ... daddy got paid, "Thanks no thanks. boss. I'll slay bums for a living." (One more contract anyway Who cares what club GM signs the check.)
- Caggs will but the physical wear & tear will get him sooner rather than later.

So who slots in LW1?
No clue, any suggestions please feel free ...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->