HF Habs: Who would you target for LD?

Blunt About Habs

Mar 9, 2011
It if we actually want to win a STANLEY CUP in the next few years, it's pretty obvious we need a 1st or 3rd LD who can play with Weber or Petry.

We can draft one this year or wait for Romanov to *maybe* develop into that player in 2-3 years but even if that even happens , our team might look completely different by then (new contracts for Domi, KK, Petry, etc). Apart from Romanov and Mete, I don't see any LD on the roster with the potential to fill that slot.

So that leaves Trade or FA....which players would you target? What assets would you be willing to give up?

SOME PLAYERS WHO MIGHT BE AVAILABLE AND FIT:
-Brady Skjei
-Hampus Lindholm
-Alex Edler
-Cam Fowler
-TJ Brodie
-Calvin De Haan
-Haydn Fleury
- Ryan Murray
-Jonas Brodin
-Nick Leddy
-Travis Sanheim
- Shayne Ghostisbehere
-Anton Stralman
- Dmitry Orlov

Last edited:

Blunt About Habs

Mar 9, 2011
Didn't want to make the post too long so here are some of my proposals / preferences:

- 1st + 2nd (both 2019) === Travis Sanheim
- Jonathan Drouin OR 1st 2019 === Brady Skjei + 2nd
- 1st 2019 === Jonas Brodin
-1st 2019 + Jonathan Drouin === Hampus Lindholm

Blunt About Habs

Mar 9, 2011
I would look to see what it would cost to acquire Gostisbehere.

That's a good call, forgot GBear was LD....he could be a good buy-low candidate and fills a big need on one of the most frustrating powerplays I've ever watched. What would you be willing to offer up?

I'm on the anti-Drouin train at the moment, so I'd dangle him and picks. Who adds, or is that even enough you think?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Orlov isn't available. Would be really surprised if Lindholm is. He's Anaheims best D and would instantly be the perfect LD for us.

If he is though, he would be my no.1 choice by quite a bit.

I would be very happy with Fowler, Gost, Sanheim. Would be fine with Brodin.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
AC conducted the exercise and came up with these two lists.

First, a list of mostly unpalatable options even though they cost no assets:

JjVzXUb.jpg

And then a list of players that may be available for trade:

uJbemSp.jpg

Alec Martinez?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Hutton
Edler
Matheson
Scandella
Martinez
Ryan Murray
Zadorov
Samuel Girard
Fowler
Gardiner
Maatta
Morin
Sekera
Haydn Fleury
DeHaan
Hjalmarsson
Brodin

It comes down to who the scouting department likes best vs cost

We can easily swap one of those forwards: Armia, Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen, Hudon, Peca and perhaps even Drouin

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Hutton
Edler
Matheson
Scandella
Martinez
Ryan Murray
Zadorov
Samuel Girard
Fowler
Gardiner
Maatta
Morin
Sekera
Haydn Fleury
DeHaan
Hjalmarsson
Brodin

It comes down to who the scouting department likes best vs cost

We can easily swap one of those forwards: Armia, Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen, Hudon, Peca and perhaps even Drouin

I would absolutely trade for Hjlamarsson. He's a stud back there.

Blunt About Habs

Mar 9, 2011
Edler's an excellent idea.
Edler would definitely be a good fit PLUS we don't have to give up any assets but 1) I don't know if he'd want to sign here and 2) I'm afraid he's going to get a big contract. Like 5 years at 6.5 million big.

I'd rather give up assets to get someone who's at a better age if they're going to have a big contract like that.

-H. Lindholm/Shayne GBear/ OEL would be ideal, but I doubt they're available.
-Orlov and Sanheim a bit less ideal, but also highly doubt they are available and they shouldn't be.
-Fowler, Brodie, Matheson, Leddy I have heard "rumors" of being available, but the price would be higher...probably like Drouin/1st+prospect+pick depending on the player
-R. Murray, Hjalmarsson, Skjei, De Haan, Fleury, Stralman etc. have all shown they can *maybe* handle that role, but also all have question marks.

Like someone else said, gonna have to hope the pro scouts make the right call but I hope they do something to address that massive hole on LD this summer!

Cup Run 2021 :yo:

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I doubt he's leaving Vancouver

Same here. He said he wanted to stay there.

I go for the Ghost, or Provorov from PHI. They will not trade Sachem who was playing 24 minutes a game for them, last I checked.

Brodin and Matheson, NO!

Still think MON can likely swap Petry for Brodie in Calgary. Brodie will be 29 in early June. He has one year left while Petry has two years left. Petry can help Calgary, who is currently contending for the Cup, more than Brodie, IMO.

I'd also consider re-signing Brodie as a 30 yr old when hs contract is up, but I wouldn't re-sign Petry at 33 when his is up.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Brodin would definitely be of interest to me. Lindholm would be a coup. Doubt any of them is available unless overpaid. I'd be willing to give up a 1st round pick and a prospect. Or Drouin + if we could fill the hole in the roster through free agency.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Shea Weber needs a partner who is big, strong and more stay at home which will allow Weber to pinch more in the offensive zone. Jake Gardiner is not that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->