Who would you take?

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
Morin because he would make our team very difficult to play against. Also because he is the most unique of all the players listed. You have a better chance of getting a Rychel or Zykov comparable player in the second round than a Morin equivalent.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
If Morin is available I just cant see him not being the BPA.

Just drool at the thought of a Morin, Tinordi, Subban, Beaulieu top four.

CN_paladin

Jan 22, 2007
Westeros
Morin because he would make our team very difficult to play against. Also because he is the most unique of all the players listed. You have a better chance of getting a Rychel or Zykov comparable player in the second round than a Morin equivalent.

Isn't he just another or better Tinordi?

We should go for a top forward with great potential here so Zykov.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Had Zykov slightly over Morin for me.

I would scratch McCarron and add Erne to the list

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I think the most realistic options for us are Zykov, Erne, Hartman and Rychel. With a slight chance that Pulock, Morrissey or Mantha fall.

Zykov
Hartman
Rychel
Erne

for me.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think Morin is more like a Bryan Allen/Brad Ference/Boris Valabik than a Chara. I would stay far away from him.

Well, only 2 things are certain when you're talking about a huge, draft eligible defenseman:

1. He will be compared to Chara

2. He will be compared to Valabik

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Why did you single out these guys?

Samuel Morin no brainer.

Michael McCarron is a huge RW, most stuff ive read says <intriguing hulking winger> but ive also read he got special skills regardless of size? Might be interesting but in the 2nd round.

Curtis Lazar , not even a PPG in JR, 6"ft 190lbs center/rw...........looks like archambault... pass.

Ryan Pulock, if he falls to us it would be very tempting. Played C until Jr and hes now a D. I know we have lots of D prospects but the 1st pass is really important.

Frederik Gauthier, much better option than Lazar.

Anthony Mantha, pure goalscorer, good size, very good option.

Kerby Rychel - Gritty winger, pay the price to score, great Jr production, decent size son of NHLer......... no brainer if he falls to us imo.

Valentin Zykov, could be a home run , not sure how his game would translate tho.

MORIN
1-Rychel
2-Gauthier
3-Lazar
4-Mantha
5-Zykov
6-McCaron

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Unless you refer to other things that can affect a prospect's stock, like the U18's or the draft combine as "mistical"...just stop.

Other players also had great combine and great U-18, yet you don't see them jumping up just out of the top ten. Zykov was one of the best player on a team that had a long, long long post season yet he might fall to the second for certain person.

Baptiste and Nastasiuk also had really good u-18 but we don't see them shooting up 10-20 spots.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Interesting to compare the list of players being voted upon in this thread vs. those that the oddsmakers from Mise-O-Jeu have identified as being the best bets to be the Habs' first selection:

Thread voting results so far:

Samuel Morin 34.12%
Valentin Zykov 27.06%
Kerby Rychel 12.94%
Curtis Lazar 10.59%
Frederik Gauthier 7.06%
Anthony Mantha 4.71%
Ryan Pulock 3.53%
Michael McCarron 0

Mise-O-Jeu payouts:

Frederik Gauthier 11.00
Valentin Zykov 11.00
Adam Erne 11.00
Anthony Mantha 12.00
Madison Bowey 13.00
Andre Burakowsky 15.00
Kerby Rychel 16.00
Emile Poirier 16.00
Nicolas Petan 17.00
Laurent Dauphin 17.00
Samuel Morin 18.00
Zachary Fucale 20.00
Morgan Klimchuk 22.00
Ryan Hartman 23.00
Any other player 2.50

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Other players also had great combine and great U-18, yet you don't see them jumping up just out of the top ten. Zykov was one of the best player on a team that had a long, long long post season yet he might fall to the second for certain person.

Baptiste and Nastasiuk also had really good u-18 but we don't see them shooting up 10-20 spots.

Uhh sure you do? Baptiste was regarded as a 3rd rounder and now is generally a consensus 2nd rounder. Santini's stock rose tremendously off the U18's, as did Compher's.

It seems like you're trying really hard to make this "post-regular season draft hype" phenomenon a thing that exclusively affects Quebecois players, and it's not. Lots of players have seen their stocks rise, deserved or not.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Uhh sure you do? Baptiste was regarded as a 3rd rounder and now is generally a consensus 2nd rounder. Santini's stock rose tremendously off the U18's, as did Compher's.

It seems like you're trying really hard to make this "post-regular season draft hype" phenomenon a thing that exclusively affects Quebecois players, and it's not. Lots of players have seen their stocks rise, deserved or not.

Nop, Bailey had a weird stock rise. At the end of his season he was considered a 3rd rounder at best and now all of a sudden he should go a lot higher. I don't believe teams really look at it this way. I could certainly see Morin rise up to even the late teens and I'd be okay with it. I could also see Dauphin/Poirier get drafted in the first near our pick... It's not the point... I stated many times that I would take Dauphin/Poirier over Gauthier/Mantha in the past. I just hate this all of a sudden hype. It's not about Q players or not. It just seems that this year its these players and last year it was Grigo(Albeit different circumstences.)

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Based on how high he is in the McKenzie Final Rankings, the odds of Morin even being available when the Habs draft are at slightly above 10%... Then he needs to be their guy.

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
People are saying Morin is the toughest player in this draft, I don't see him being to tough in the NHL. Unless he works on his balance and control during fights. His legs bend a lot. He also needs to put up a lot of weight. But i still wouldn't draft Morin in the 1st round. After seeing tons of players in the past 8+ years get drafted in the 1st round due to size. The HUGE players in the past that got drafted in the 1st round, they pretty much all turned out to be terrible and could not make the NHL. Still don't know why scouts, NHL organizations don't realize this and they keep ranking players so high just because of size. It's like they don't learn from there first mistake. But if Morin works hard and focuses on his defensive game, and less on taking penalty's and fighting he will turn out to be good. I hope you doesn't turn out to be like these following players: Boris Valabik, Jeff Schultz, Sasha Pokulok, Matt Pelech, Joe Finley etc.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Morin
ainec

Can fight, has size, has some skill
a bit of a mean streak
What more can we want to round out the D corps?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad