Player Discussion: Who would you rather keep

Who to keep

• Total voters

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Next offseason could come down to a choice of Killorn and Palat. Of these 2 players which one would you rather keep if Palat was to sign for a discount?

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Killorns last two years has made this incredibly difficult. The edge Palat used to have as a 1st line LW is kind of minor now. Both great players and play a huge role to the team.

Wouldn't want to be Brisebois here.
I feel like it comes down to a chemistry thing, would you rather find someone to find chemistry with Point and Kuch or Cirelli and Stamkos. on one hand we know how Kuch and Point feel about Palat being on their line and if Coop was to take him off that line. on the other hand you have a few guys that could theoretically replace Killorn on that 2nd line like Joseph or Raddysh but that creates holes elsewhere. Production wise it is close but some issues, Killorn has 5 more GP, same amount of goals, 10 more points, 3x the PIMS, a worse +/- (not like this stat matters), gets roughly 1:30 more TOI a game, 4 less GWG, and only 7 more Even Strength points than Palat. Palat seems to get hurt for stretches of games during the season and Killorn stays rather healthy only missing 4 regular season games in the last 7 seasons. So like you said, i too wouldnt want to be JBB in this situation next year. But i also feel like Killorn could be the piece that gets moved because he can get us something of value back, Palat walks for nothing or we move his rights for a late round pick.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Killorn the last two years have been good but I’d pick palat. Sign palat and trade killorn for a couple of draft picks to help restock our system

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Palat at 100% is the better player.

I appreciate Killorn's desire to stay a Bolt for the remainder of his career. After all, he is the longest tenured player in the org, and a reliable 2-way guy.

Unless JBB can pull off something special, I think Palat is a goner due to UFA status.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Keep whichever is cheaper and/or is the best asset management. If Palat will resign @ Kilorn's salary resign him and trade killer. Better than letting Palat walk for nothing.

I wish we could afford both.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Killorn because I like him more. But Palat's better.

I think there's a debate to be had about who'll age better though.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Killorn because I like him more. But Palat's better.

I think there's a debate to be had about who'll age better though.
Killorn hasn’t really missed many games in his career. Palat on the other hand… Killorn’s production is pretty steady and oddly enough seems to be going up the older he gets. Palat has higher peaks but also more prominent lows (likely due to injuries). He was phenomenal during our Cup run in 2020 with Stamkos out.

The question is whose skill set can be better replaced from within the organization. Killorn kills penalties and is more a Swiss Army knife type of player. Palat fits perfect with 21 and 86 though.

In the end it comes down to who’s willing to take a pay cut and stay in a winning environment and who’s looking for one last big pay check and go elsewhere. I can see both take route A.

Last edited:
Reactions: Major4Boarding

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It's a lot closer than it used to be but Palat is still the better player, IF he's healthy though. Keeping Killorn is a lot simpler and maybe better value too.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
At the same price, slight edge to Palat. Depending on what salary looks like, could easily flip to Killorn as better value.

As a couple of folks have pointed out, the thing to do is sign Palat and trade Killer, simply because that's better than letting Palat walk for nothing.

At the end of the day, there's really no wrong choice between the two -- they're both valuable. Losing either one will hurt.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Really comes down to what number either can be signed for to fit in the cap. They are both very valuable top 6 guys and the Bolts will miss whoever has to leave.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Both are important/key players to this team. PK, PP, top 6. Its tough

I think we lose both regardless, but I'd probably go with Palat. He really does a lot for that 1st line. Kuch and Point have often said they don't want anyone else on that line but him.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Unless they trade Killorn for value, the best they can do with Palat would be let Joseph and Rutta walk and save around 500k or so between their replacements. Even then, the most they could offer Palat would be just over 4 aav max. It's a very difficult choice, but from an asset management standpoint, moving Killorn for a pick+prospect or a couple of picks may be better than losing Palat for nothing(depending on what Palat is willing to take).

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Both are important/key players to this team. PK, PP, top 6. Its tough

I think we lose both regardless, but I'd probably go with Palat. He really does a lot for that 1st line. Kuch and Point have often said they don't want anyone else on that line but him.

When you say lose both, you don't mean for next season, right? We certainly have the cap space next season for Killorn if we don't re-sign Palat. Definitely much trickier the season after, when Cirelli, Serg and Cernak all need new contracts.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I guess I'd keep Killorn if you put a gun to my head only because sometimes the best ability is availability and Palat is often hurt. Even then that is a terrible argument. Like maybe the worst possible one. But I really can't choose either and I don't think management wants to either. Considering that there's not even a whisper of trading Palat as not to risk losing him as a UFA for nothing, I think it alludes to that both his camp and the Lightning have mutual interest in extending and it's best to just wait til summer and a clearer financial picture to start talking about it.

Considering Perry's success with the team, I think it's possible signing guys who are chasing the Cup becomes the new thing for us and guys like Palat and Killorn are gonna do us a solid combining for a smaller salary (hard to say what that'll be) instead of the $9.75 million they are now. Exactly how many of us would just go back to eating our sandwiches if we saw another mercenary sign for cheap on July 1st? Maroon and Perry basically

I don't think even need to threepeat to do it. We just need guys like Palat and Killorn to combine for a certain number JFBB can work with. The whole "If you build it, they will come" and all that jazz applies here

Reactions: Hammerlik

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
killorn’s play driving has fallen off a bit and i like the fit palat has with our top guys. it is pretty close though
6F943F21-9380-4C35-A3C0-25611B216C86.png
AC48D790-068B-4F76-B664-00B011614976.png

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Killorn has legit gotten better with age the way very few players do. He's faster than he used to be. I think that makes this a pretty tough decision.

Killorn will probably have significant trade value.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Killorn has legit gotten better with age the way very few players do. He's faster than he used to be. I think that makes this a pretty tough decision.

It wouldn't surprise that if they moved Killorn, they'd get a 1st for him. Given his last couple seasons his trade value would be at it's highest imo. His age might scare a few teams off, but the lowest I would move him for would be the equivalent of 2 2nds or 2nd+good prospect in value. Maybe try for the Miller deal from someone and get a 1st+3rd or B prospect. With JBB working his magic, it wouldn't be too surprising.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida

I think the move may be to trade Killorn + sign Palat this offseason.

Through that lens, it's Palat + assets, vs. Killorn alone with Palat walking for nothing. I think this tips the scales towards keeping Palat if we need to lose one of them.

JBB has shown before that he looks at the aggregate result of all deals, not just one individual decision in a vacuum.

Last edited:
Reactions: HanTykje and Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad