Prediction Contest: Who would you rather face in the first round of the playoffs? (Tampa/Boston)

Which team would you rather face in the first round of the playoffs?

• Tampa Bay Lightning

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • Boston Bruins

Votes: 49 64.5%
  • Leafs will finish first and face WC1/WC2

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If it was the old format, if the playoffs started today, we'd be facing the New Jersey Devils. The NHL went full try-hard mode when they brought in this new format. Never liked it when it at first and severely dislike it now. The third best team facing the second best team is completely asinine.
I prefer the 3 Divisions in the Conference format.
I'd go with a North/South/Central Division on both sides. Division winners 1-2-3, next best 5.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I have a thing for first round exits to President's Trophy winners.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we trade for a new 3C, get a more defensively responsible LW for JVR and maybe a D... I would be happy to face either. As is? Neither because the 3rd line is weak.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Boston, although Tampa would probably be more high flying and entertaining, I genuinely hate Boston.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Boston, and this is why;

Bos 37GP 21-10-6 48Pts
Tbl 40GP 27-11-2 56Pts
Tor 44GP 26-14-4 56Pts

This is their records against everyone but the Atlantic. The 7 game difference is because Boston has played the West less. If we assume they win 4 of those 7 games (which is about what they are averaging vs the Western conference) we are tied in points. The difference comes from their 10-0-1 record against Buffalo, Ottawa, Montreal and Detroit.

I guess what I’m saying is i see Boston as a bit of a paper tiger when compared to the hype they get. They’re a good team but so is Toronto, and I don’t see much of a difference as compared to Tampa, which imo is clearly a more difficult opponent.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This format is nuts

I get wanting to develop rivalries but they have completely messed this up
What rivalries?
We haven't even played Buffalo yet (I know they aren't good right now) but isn't that a little crazy? Your own division? It's so watered down by the time you play Minny, Colorado, Arizona, I don't even remember Montreal or Tampa.
For starters, let's do the division back to back (home and home thing) more.
Friday night/Saturday night in your division.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Still convinced the Bruins will hit a speed bump and limp into the playoffs, probably finishing with around 100 points. They can't hold a candle to the Lightning

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What rivalries?
We haven't even played Buffalo yet (I know they aren't good right now) but isn't that a little crazy? Your own division? It's so watered down by the time you play Minny, Colorado, Arizona, I don't even remember Montreal or Tampa.
For starters, let's do the division back to back (home and home thing) more.
Friday night/Saturday night in your division.

I think they were trying to revive the old battle of Ontario, Red wings Avs type playoff matchups that used to be pretty epic, the problem with that is guys aren't as dirty anymore so the same hate isn't there and those battles can't be manufactured they just happen naturally

I applaud the idea but the execution is **** like a lot of stuff the league tries

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
I think a hardworking blue collar team like the Bruins will be great for our younger players for development purposes. Teach them a solid 2 way outlook.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
We haven't even played Buffalo yet (I know they aren't good right now) but isn't that a little crazy?
It is silly.
First Buffalo game is March 5th. And then we play them 4 times. In a month.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I like to see them play Boston for these reasons.

We can once and for all end any talk about Game 7 in 2013 and be reminded how it was 4-1. I also want the Bruins out of the playoffs as soon as possible and don't want them advancing to the 2nd round.

Plus it feels like the last demon the Leafs need to get rid of. We saw how Shanahan changed their logo, retiring the numbers of the players who were previously honored and bring back Dave Keon to Leafs related events. All of those things brought them good karma, so getting the Bruins out of the playoffs would add to it.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Picked TB to win the cup before season started, so obviously Bahstin.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Would kind of prefer TB to be honest, no Bergeron to go through for Matthews. Although if we faced Boston, it's a good lesson for Matthews to beat someone like Bergeron over a 7 game series.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->