Prediction Contest: Who would you rather face in the first round of the playoffs? (Tampa/Boston)

Which team would you rather face in the first round of the playoffs?

• Tampa Bay Lightning

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • Boston Bruins

Votes: 49 64.5%
  • Leafs will finish first and face WC1/WC2

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I would rather face the Panthers :nod:
But of the 2 choices if both are healthy, yikes, I will say Boston because I'm hoping they burn all their luck before the playoffs start

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I would rather face the Panthers :nod:
But of the 2 choices if both are healthy, yikes, I will say Boston because I'm hoping they burn all their luck before the playoffs start

Both options suck but I'm going to go with Tampa

I think Boston's physicality makes them a tough matchup for us and Tampa's goaltender is less of a known commodity in the playoffs

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Tampa.

Better team, but we matchup better against them I think. I also think Babcock would be more inclined to just let our skill do it’s thing more than he would against Boston.

Both would be good series, that could go either way though.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Both options suck but I'm going to go with Tampa

I think Boston's physicality makes them a tough matchup for us and Tampa's goaltender is less of a known commodity in the playoffs
Hedman scares me and the speed on that team is 4 lines of blinding skill.
Chara looked slow last year by the time playoff came around. I'm hoping the old legs do the same this year
And ya both are terrifying thoughts

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We should revisit this in about a month after Boston completes the most gruelling part of their schedule, like we already did.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I could care less today, ask me in April and I will.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Hedman scares me and the speed on that team is 4 lines of blinding skill.
Chara looked slow last year by the time playoff came around. I'm hoping the old legs do the same this year
And ya both are terrifying thoughts

I think we've got a chance against anyone if it stays a skill vs skill type battle, when teams up the physical play we struggle and I just don't think that's Tampa's game but Boston has the possibility of getting nasty

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think we've got a chance against anyone if it stays a skill vs skill type battle, when teams up the physical play we struggle and I just don't think that's Tampa's game but Boston has the possibility of getting nasty
That's fair but I prefer the tougher teams as I think ultimately our skill will wear them down over 7 games as they will be chasing us the whole game. Either way it's a rough draw and should be fun

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Boston. They're clearly overachieving right now.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That's fair but I prefer the tougher teams as I think ultimately our skill will wear them down over 7 games as they will be chasing us the whole game. Either way it's a rough draw and should be fun

Boston is a great possession team though, one of the best in the league I think so if they tilt possession and play physical we're going to be in tough

Neither team is a good option though, it could potentially end up with the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the East in the first round playing each other

Stupid playoffs format

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Boston bc we are definitely better than them. I am 90% confident we would beat them (5% the refs do their thang and 5% bruins actually somehow win).

Tampa i feel 50% confident.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
No difference. Whoever we don’t get in the first round, we’ll get in the second.

Agree but I can’t take another playoff loss in the opening round vs Boston. Maybe they can be bruised and battered by the second round, or be eliminated by Pittsburgh in the wildcard spot. Would that mean we would play the pens next?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Boston is a great possession team though, one of the best in the league I think so if they tilt possession and play physical we're going to be in tough

Neither team is a good option though, it could potentially end up with the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the East in the first round playing each other

Stupid playoffs format
Ya I really dislike the format too.
The NHL really should fix that especially if they want to raise interest through the whole playoffs

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Stupid playoffs format
If it was the old format, if the playoffs started today, we'd be facing the New Jersey Devils. The NHL went full try-hard mode when they brought in this new format. Never liked it when it at first and severely dislike it now. The third best team facing the second best team is completely asinine.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Boston bc we are definitely better than them. I am 90% confident we would beat them (5% the refs do their thang and 5% bruins actually somehow win).

Tampa i feel 50% confident.

I disagree. They are better at the moment. We are lead by sophomores, and they are led by a solid veteran core that has a Stanley Cup and another Final appearance. And in that veteran core, they have a guy that can legitimately be in the MVP and Selke convo. They have the vets that have been there to support their young players, we don't.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Boston......Tampa has more talent, better team around them. I don't know if Boston is overachieving, but they are close to peaking. I don't think they have another level in them, whereas I think Tampa could.

Either will be tough matchups. I'd rather play about every team in the East, except Pittsburgh, mostly due to pedigree... then Boston or Tampa.

On our end, I don't think we're close to peaking. I wouldn't say we have the optimal lineup moving forward today.....but we probably have the optimal lineup, with the reigns of what Babcock will allow, today. And that took half a season to accomplish......it will take some time for them to gel together.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Boston is a no brainer for me. Original 6 rival, owed revenge so we can put that game 7 story behind us, smugger fans.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Ya I really dislike the format too.
The NHL really should fix that especially if they want to raise interest through the whole playoffs
If it was the old format, if the playoffs started today, we'd be facing the New Jersey Devils. The NHL went full try-hard mode when they brought in this new format. Never liked it when it at first and severely dislike it now. The third best team facing the second best team is completely asinine.

This format is nuts

I get wanting to develop rivalries but they have completely messed this up

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
We'd also have home-ice advantage.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I like the format, I cant wait to play Habs,Sens, wings, sabres in a playoff series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad