Prediction Contest: Who would you rather face in the first round of the playoffs? (Tampa/Boston)

Which team would you rather face in the first round of the playoffs?

• Tampa Bay Lightning

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • Boston Bruins

Votes: 49 64.5%
  • Leafs will finish first and face WC1/WC2

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

CHRoNiCWiLL

Mar 17, 2010
GTA
Given the way the standings are currently. It is probably a crapshoot on who will finish 1st and 2nd in the Atlantic.
Which team do you think we match up better against between Tampa and Boston?
Personally I would prefer to face Tampa, as they look like they are currently coming back down to earth and could potentially limp into the playoffs (albeit missing Hedmen). Our offense would probably do slightly better against Tampa, than Boston (given Boston's current GA).
On the flip side, we are 2-1 against Boston so far this season so that might give us the psychological edge going in.

Last edited:

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
The Boston Bruins may seem unbeatable right now but they are on a hot streak. Just like every other team who has had a mid-season hot streak, they will come crashing back down to earth.

The Tampa Bay Lightning on the other hand are one truly frightening team. They should be among the favorites around the League to win the Stanley Cup this season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bruins.

Tampa is the better team, and Leafs (last game aside) have gotten the best of Boston more games than not over the past couple seasons

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Boston, I think Tampa matches up with us better speed wise, and they have more game breakers than Boston does plus there is that whole 2013 thing, they need to be paid back for that.

also though they are getting old down the middle Bergeron is 32, and Krejci turns 32 in april. Not to mention that if we can end assing Boston, and I still think we can and eventually will that gives us home ice advantage which allows us to keep Matthews away from Bergeron.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
tampa. our first meeting of the season was a closer game than our last meeting with boston.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
It doesn't matter is always the right answer.

I'd say, don't be fooled by Tampa's recent lull. It's a simple correction. One's likely coming for Boston as well. That said, I'd rather face Tampa in the first round. I think our styles match better and I like our speed against any team.

Chara and the veteran core of the Bruins are certainly well conditioned, but you can't subtract the aggregate of all the hockey those bodies (and minds) have taken over the years. I think we're a better bet that we're going to be the fresher squad going into the second round vs Boston. The other side of that argument says, best to go in at full strength. Not against Boston. Too much experience, too much strength. A playoff round apart is enough for the likes of Backes and Chara to be whittled down a notch without the expense of one of our guys doing the whittling.

Reactions: IBeL13f

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Still early and tough to say for a few reasons, so I'll go with Tampa just because we've never faced them in the playoffs, and the story of a first round series against Boston will take on a life of its own, even though only a handful of Leafs remain from that time. Formidable - but not insurmountable - foe either way though.

member 262271

Can't decide, honestly. It's really annoying that Boston can't lose a game though, Vegas all over again.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
There is no easy matchup really. If you finish 1st in the divison you get the honour of possibly playing against Pit or Wash. Is that any better? I'll take TB, just because if we face Boston you know they will talk about game 7 ad nauseam. Honestly, it's pick your poison no matter who you face.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
There is no easy matchup really. If you finish 1st in the divison you get the honour of possibly playing against Pit or Wash. Is that any better? I'll take TB, just because if we face Boston you know they will talk about game 7 ad nauseam. Honestly, it's pick your poison no matter who you face.
1st in the division gets us flyers or blue jackets, actually thats still pretty bad. f***

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
thats a tough question, both of those teams are very good and will be tough to get out of the first round regardless, id love to play boston and beat them in 7!, it would be sweet to catch boston and get home ice but looking at both of those teams we will likely stay put at 3rd in the atlantic.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Personally, to me it doesn't matter. Boston or Tampa will both be great tests for our young team. We still have ways to go, another gear to reach before all that starts so that's why I am not worried. I know the level we can play at when we're firing on all cylinders and Boston will not be able to match that. They're loving it right now, but they'll come back down to earth. No team on such a streak can make it last into and through the playoffs. I believe they've peaked early. But we'll have to wait & see.

Final answer: It Doesn't Matter :)

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I went with Tampa because I think we match up better with them but the reality is, we probably have to play both if we get to where we hope we can. So I don't much care.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nah. We **** the bed against flyers and against the blue jackets too.

We are a significantly better team than both, you can base your opinion on one or 2 games if you want I guess, but if you look at the teams the Leafs are better than Philly, Columbus, Carolina, NYI whoever gets that spot

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Boston. they aren't gonna be winning 95% of their games in march/april

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->