Who would you pick after Dahlin/Svechnikov/Zadina are gone?

Who would you pick after the TOP3 ?

• LW Brady Tkachuk, 6'3 left

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • RD Adam Boqvist, 5'11 Right

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • LD Quinton Hughes, 5'10 Left

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • RW Oliver Wahlstrom, 6'1 Right

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • LD Ty Smith, 5'10 Left

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RD Noah Dobson, 6'3 Right

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • C Joe Veleno, 6'1 Left

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RD Evan Bouchard, 6'2 Right

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • some other prospect, who ?

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Think Tkachuk is at least as good at his bro in Calgary think a safe pick with decently high upside (tkachuk senior).

Imagine Tkachuk-Rasmussen-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Svechnikov

Thats a big/gritty yet skilled top 6

That you Tyler Wright? :sarcasm:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You could go BPA on that group from Boqvist to Bouchard, but let's say, if we are picking at 8th and Dahlin + 4 forwards (Svech+Zadi+Tkach+Wahls) + Boqvist and Dobson are gone. Do you you pick Hughes instead of Bouchard?

Man, that’s incredibly tough. I would probably say Hughes by a hair. What does everyone else think?

But we don't have a great PP quarterback with a booming shot. Hughes doesn't offer that either.

No, but he will absolutely accumulate points on the PP in a big way like Ghost, Kronwall, Yandle, etc.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I voted Boqvist. Bouchard feels like a chychrun type pick. He's closer to his ceiling and much more likely to hit it than Boqvist, but his ceiling, to me at least, seems in the average #2 or good #3 area, and floor being #4 or 5. Boqvist seems like a guy that if you told me in 10 years he was a top D-man in the league I wouldn't be surprised and if you told me he was a bottom pairing guy I wouldn't be surprised. But right now Detroit should be swinging for the fences, because the last couple drafts they've been trying to bunt for a base hit.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Think Tkachuk is at least as good at his bro in Calgary think a safe pick with decently high upside (tkachuk senior).

Imagine Tkachuk-Rasmussen-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Svechnikov

Thats a big/gritty yet skilled top 6

I think I might be the only person on Earth to say this, but I don't see that first line ever actually being a first line Rass isn't a top line center, and Tkachuk, to me at least, screams more 2nd line winger.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I went with Hughes for the simple fact I've seen him play a lot and he's playing at a very high level. He's also set a freshman record for assists at Michigan. He held his own against a really good BU team loaded with NHL talent. Lately he's been the best player on the ice and it's not really close. He may not end up being the best possible pick, but I feel very confident about his ability as a skater and point producer. He's not going to be a #1 lockdown defensemen but he'll be an extremely good #2 who will feast on the power play and consistently put up 50+ points per season.

I haven't seen enough of anyone else to be confident in projecting what they will be as NHL players.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Id be happy with either of Boqvist or Hughes. We need somebody with that kind of upside, undersized or not

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hughes than Tkachuk in terms of this question. I am honestly starting to lean towards elevating Wahlstrom over Boqvist. He hasn't played a ton and I get that but when he has in terms of what I have seen, I am not exactly going bananas for him either. I guess one of our European posters could clue me in on what I am missing in limited views. It could be the USA hockey fan in me, but I really trust the big three USA guys this year in the top 10.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
if wings took tkachuk it would be fun. talented, gritty, competitive winger to cement wings new identity.
I was shocked how little BU showed up in the corners. They were a big team full of NHL prospects and they didn't really play to their strengths at all. I don't know if that's on the players or coach, I just wanted to point out that if you are expecting that to be a big part of his game it was lacking in the NCAA.

David D

Apr 1, 2018
first off, Hello! This is my 1st post but long time follower on here with so many knowledgeable people. I'm not up on all the details as some of you but I do read up on the prospects and such. First off, I think Zadina will be electrifying!! I know that's not breaking news but I do think he isn't far behind Dahlin in quickly jump starting a franchise!! My choice to the question posed would be, after going back n fourth so many times and watching video countless times of all involved would be Tkachuk. He isn't flashy and probably won't win a scoring championship but I think he's a winner. I think he can be a 30 goal and 80 point player with obviously more talented players around him. But I just see a guy who will will his team to success, blocking shots, scoring that OT goal or digging the puck out of a scrum to dish it off for a big assist. Thanks again for having me and looking forward to see who the Wings select! Now if they only stop winning these meaningless games! I've read some in upper mgmt. want to lose for a better chance of Dahlin but not the coach? Holland, since looks like he's coming back, needs to tell Blash to install Coreau these remaining 3 games!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I voted Boqvist. Bouchard feels like a chychrun type pick. He's closer to his ceiling and much more likely to hit it than Boqvist, but his ceiling, to me at least, seems in the average #2 or good #3 area, and floor being #4 or 5. Boqvist seems like a guy that if you told me in 10 years he was a top D-man in the league I wouldn't be surprised and if you told me he was a bottom pairing guy I wouldn't be surprised. But right now Detroit should be swinging for the fences, because the last couple drafts they've been trying to bunt for a base hit.

That Chychrun comparison won't work, imo. I understand the ceiling thing, but Chychrun was hyped year before the draft to be 2nd overall and then fell to 17th because of mediocre season. Scored 49 points in 62 games for Sarnia, where Konecny was the leading scorer with 101 points.

Bouchard has been biggest risers on draft year, exact opposite of Chychrun, because he has been phenomenally good. He did lead the London in scoring as a defenceman by 30 points (!) before the best forward Dunkley in 57 points. I repeat, Evan Bouchard scored 25 goals + 62 assists = 87 points in 67 games. And this number is the highest age-adjusted + team-scoring adjusted number (my own formula) no defenceman has ever scored in OHL on the last decade. Also better what Drew Doughty did at 2006-07. It's really impressive, best scoring player by far in a pretty low-scoring team. I always give huge value for scoring x amount of points in a team which scores 300 goals for or which scores 200 goals for.

Bouchard was 18.4 year old at regular season and where Chychrun was 18.0 years old on his last OHL season. Also, if you take these age-adjusted things in account, Bouchard's 2016-17 season as 17.4 year-old is equal to Chychrun's season at 18.0 year-old.

But yeah, you preferred Boqvist over Bouchard. I don't mind Boqvist either, but just have a gut feeling, that he is not available when we pick in any scenario. He goes most probably at 4-5 picks, when we either win the lottery and get 1-2-3 picks or if we don't win, we pick at 6-7-8. I think Boqvist goes exactly there at 4-5 where we aren't picking.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hughes than Tkachuk in terms of this question. I am honestly starting to lean towards elevating Wahlstrom over Boqvist. He hasn't played a ton and I get that but when he has in terms of what I have seen, I am not exactly going bananas for him either. I guess one of our European posters could clue me in on what I am missing in limited views. It could be the USA hockey fan in me, but I really trust the big three USA guys this year in the top 10.

I'm with you in here, if we pick at 7-8 and all the TOP10 ranked right-handed defencemen are gone. Then I would like a righty forward sniper and try to get a skill defenceman with the Vegas pick.

There's just so many scenarios, it depends how the lottery goes, and who picks whom in front of us etc.

Reactions: David D

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
It's a shame we need D so badly, because I think Wahlstrom is going to be a real good one.

Reactions: Konnan511

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
It's a shame we need D so badly, because I think Wahlstrom is going to be a real good one.
Yeah, I really like Wahlstrom. I've got him at 4th personally. Dudes gonna be a legit goal scorer.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Is anyone at all worried about Boqvist's production?
1 point in 15 games. -7.
Dahlin has 20 points in 41 games, for example.
Heiskanen, last year, had 10 points in 37 games in Finland

How far away is Boqvist from being an NHLer? 2 years?
Not that I'd turn down a great defenseman because he needed 2 years to develop. I'm just curious.
Not too worried because he has the talent. I think it is a combination of playing 20-25 J20 games then getting loaned to Allsvenskan and then playing in the SHL so its hard to get comfortable when you have stints with 3 different teams in 3 different leagues. He needs to get bigger obviously but Dahlin has played with Frolunda for two seasons and had 3 points in 26 games his first season.

I think its just the issue of guys developing at their own pace.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I dont agree with that comparison at all. Chychrun was a bordelrine exceptional status kid to the OHL and probably wouldve got it if he applied. Bouchard has kinda came out of nowhere. Not every player who doesnt dangle every shift and is over 6 feet is close to their ceiling.. I'm not saying you think this way but lots do.

As for the players.. Hughes kinda scares me, hes a little small for a top 7 pick for my liking on defense and I didnt like him at the world juniors. Boqvist slightly iffy on, he has some question marks but the upside is big enough for me to not care. Dobson seems the most likely to a well rounded 30 min a night dman based on what ive read/seen but I think hes a little risky as well.

I would really be happy withany of Bouchard, Boqvist or Dobson. I wouldnt hate Hughes, I'm sure the wings scouts have seen him plenty to make that decision and from what I understand hes really turned it up lately. If we go winger I would prefer Tkachuk over Wahlsrom. Tkachuk would be the fan favourite out there and very entertaining to watch. I think he gets undersold like his brother did pre draft and will prove a lot of people wrong. I just really think this is the year to land a couple top 4 dmen so I dont really want a winger, you cant draft for need in the NHL though

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I dont agree with that comparison at all. Chychrun was a bordelrine exceptional status kid to the OHL and probably wouldve got it if he applied. Bouchard has kinda came out of nowhere. Not every player who doesnt dangle every shift and is over 6 feet is close to their ceiling.. I'm not saying you think this way but lots do.

As for the players.. Hughes kinda scares me, hes a little small for a top 7 pick for my liking on defense and I didnt like him at the world juniors. Boqvist slightly iffy on, he has some question marks but the upside is big enough for me to not care. Dobson seems the most likely to a well rounded 30 min a night dman based on what ive read/seen but I think hes a little risky as well.

I would really be happy withany of Bouchard, Boqvist or Dobson. I wouldnt hate Hughes, I'm sure the wings scouts have seen him plenty to make that decision and from what I understand hes really turned it up lately. If we go winger I would prefer Tkachuk over Wahlsrom. Tkachuk would be the fan favourite out there and very entertaining to watch. I think he gets undersold like his brother did pre draft and will prove a lot of people wrong. I just really think this is the year to land a couple top 4 dmen so I dont really want a winger, you cant draft for need in the NHL though

The comparison is at time of draft, not at 14 or 16. At time of draft Chychrun was very close to his floor, but his ceiling didn't seem nearly as high as it had -1 draft. Bouchard has had a great year, but given everything I have read about him he seems like he could join a team quickly (draft year or +1) and play 2nd pairing, but, it also seems he's not likely to be a top d-man meaning, like Chychurn he's likely to get to his floor, which is pretty good, but not nearly as likely to have a high ceiling. He's a low risk, intermediate reward player.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
the more i look at our prospects and general situation the more i like the prospect (no pun intended) of taking Svech/Zadina/Wahlstrom. If Mantha, AA, and Svechnikov actually showed good improvement id take a dman with no hesitation. Unfortunately they all did not. Sure i still have some hope for them - and certainly with Svech - but we are desperately lacking higher end forwards. At the moment our forwards look like larkin + 11 third liners, with maybe a 2nd liner in Mantha

Svech and Cholowski give me more hope for our defense than Svechnikov and Rasmussnen give me on offense.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The comparison is at time of draft, not at 14 or 16. At time of draft Chychrun was very close to his floor, but his ceiling didn't seem nearly as high as it had -1 draft. Bouchard has had a great year, but given everything I have read about him he seems like he could join a team quickly (draft year or +1) and play 2nd pairing, but, it also seems he's not likely to be a top d-man meaning, like Chychurn he's likely to get to his floor, which is pretty good, but not nearly as likely to have a high ceiling. He's a low risk, intermediate reward player.

Specifically what about Bouchard makes you think he has a limited ceiling?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Specifically what about Bouchard makes you think he has a limited ceiling?

Players that are 6'2'' and 200 pounds at 17 in a setting like the CHL tend to do well because they are man sized playing with boys. This is doubly true when they skyrocket like this kid has. If he had a year before this with elite level play, I would feel more comfortable, but being massive in a youth league gives you a lot of room for error.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
This is doubly true when they skyrocket like this kid has. If he had a year before this with elite level play, I would feel more comfortable
I feel like I've seen this opinion from a few people and I just don't get it. What part of 44 points in 68 games for a defenseman in his D -1 year indicates coming out of nowhere or NOT being expected to be a very high draft pick?

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad