World Cup: Who would you like to win the World Cup?

Who is your preferred winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Brazil or Croatia.

England winning might legitimately be the worst thing that could happen to soccer. Thankfully it's extremely improbable.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
And to think, before this tournament started I was glad Italy Ireland and the US weren't in it so we wouldn't need to read a bunch of bandwagoners go on about how great they were. This support for England is much worse.

Reactions: Eisen

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Brazil or Croatia.

England winning might legitimately be the worst thing that could happen to soccer. Thankfully it's extremely improbable.
Overreact much?

England winning the tournament would be forgotten by those that hate then after a month.

Rooting for England because it's my team/heritage (grandfather & mother).

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Brazil or Croatia.

That they made the quarter-finals and might even reach the semis is already bad enough.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Anyone but Brazil.

On the one hand, yes...

But on the other hand, if Brazil doesn’t win then Jogi could stumble into a second WC title that drew us level with them...and then we’d never be rid of him or the complacency he has come to represent.

Plus our local Brazilian, John Pedro, might just be the most chill & likable Brazilian on the planet...so I’m fine with them getting a 6th star before we bumble into our 5th...

Reactions: John Pedro

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Brazil or Croatia.

TBH that would be Sweden winning. And I hate saying that after how much I defended them prior to the tourney and how many good dudes we have from Sweden on the Avs board. But if they won then the football dinosaurs would never stop roaring about how horrible modern football is & how goals should really only count if they are headed in...

...this is also why I can’t root for Uruguay to win the way they have played, despite how much love I gave their kids before the tourney & how much I praised the style that they played in those matches

At least the lessons an England victory would strengthen would be trusting youth :dunno: Plus it would be so flukey that watching all of those EPL “experts” talk about how to recreate their success would lead to at least a couple decades of comedy gold...

Last edited:
Reactions: Stray Wasp

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I can imagine something worse - a World Cup won by a Qatar or UAE team consisting of players who changed nationality for financial gain.
Touche.

I guess I meant in the realm of reality in the near future. :p

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Which would make the next 50 years of English failure funny again...

As likely as not- after 1966 England took great care to draw all the wrong explanations for why they'd won. And the footballing culture as a whole hasn't exactly become smarter since.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As likely as not- after 1966 England took great care to draw all the wrong explanations for why they'd won. And the footballing culture as a whole hasn't exactly become smarter since.

How funny it would be if our FA took the "trust the kids" lesson from your triumph while your FA learned "the true value of set-pieces" & clung to this current generation into their mid-30s, might just make it worth it :laugh:

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Having France win now would be incredibly boring. They have plenty of time to win trophies with this generation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad