Who would you like to see as the next coach of the Nashville Predators?

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
When Trotz's time is over here in Nashville, who would you like to see as our next coach?

When you Trotz is gone will Poile need to leave as well?

I am in the opinion whenever Trotz goes Poile will need to go as well so we can get an all system in here. I believe if Trotz is fired only then Poile will rehire Trotz 2.0.
I am not saying it is time for them to go just wondering who you would like to see here in Nashville when the time comes. One name I like is Peter Laviolette if he is available then. I like his fiery style of coaching.

The main reason I did this post is for people who are always saying fire trotz and fire poile to give you the chance to go beyond that and name some names.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
I really believe that Poile brought in Housley to take over in the case of Trotz's team isn't performing by mid-season. Housley was available and Horachek was abruptly let go after it was announced he was staying.

That said, I'd like to see a coach with new ideas brought in. A more offensive system to take pressure off the defense and get rid of dump and chase.

The main reason I did this post is for people who are always saying fire trotz and fire poile to give you the chance to go beyond that and name some names.

It isn't the fan's job to pick out a new coach. Why is the standard response to anyone questioning the team's coach/gm/players to say, "Yeah, well find someone better". Believe it or not, many teams have made coaching and GM changes and gotten better. Have some gotten worse? Sure. Does that mean you stick with the status quo forever?

And just so this doesn't derail this thread into another crapstorm, this post isn't suggesting to do the above after two games, but rather in response to the OP.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
That said, I'd like to see a coach with new ideas brought in. A more offensive system to take pressure off the defense and get rid of dump and chase.

Boy that is an understatement. I think the entire fanbase would have a party if we quit doing the dump and chase so often. I'd welcome it.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Boy that is an understatement. I think the entire fanbase would have a party if we quit doing the dump and chase so often. I'd welcome it.
The fanbase is going to be very disappointed then. There isn't a team in the NHL that doesn't make common use of the dump and chase. It's not a coaching strategy, it's a game tactic that players use to break high defensive lines. Poll most fans across the league, and I'd wager a common coaching complaint among all is "too much dump and chase."

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
The fanbase is going to be very disappointed then. There isn't a team in the NHL that doesn't make common use of the dump and chase. It's not a coaching strategy, it's a game tactic that players use to break high defensive lines. Poll most fans across the league, and I'd wager a common coaching complaint among all is "too much dump and chase."

I think everyone on here knows when dump and chase should be used and when it's overused either due to lack of skill or from when a team is too tired from too much pressure on the defensive end.

Ok, a system which promotes puck possession and pressure in the offensive zone instead of a system that promotes sitting back and rope-a-doping your opponents, generating a majority of your offense on the counter attack.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't remember where I read it, but last season I read an article saying that Trotz would like Lambert to be his successor. But who knows

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I'm still a Trotz fan; I think a lot of coaches would struggle to compete with our roster as-is. If I had to choose a replacement, it's either Tippett (not happening) or Jacques Lemaire (also not happening). I think we could handle a Lemaire trap scheme, though the "NASHVILLE IS SO BORING" comments would obviously get worse.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It will be Housley.

I wish it was Noel.

No you don't. You really don't. Not unless you want to see how Hornqvist does at center, or Cullen playing fourth line right wing, or Weber staying in front of the net, or Jones getting the most minutes on the PK, or four defensemen on the power play, or any number of other bat**** crazy deployments. Noel is insane.

OTOH, that insanity shows up in entertaining ways in his after-game press conferences. :) "We need more joy."

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'm still a Trotz fan; I think a lot of coaches would struggle to compete with our roster as-is. If I had to choose a replacement, it's either Tippett (not happening) or Jacques Lemaire (also not happening). I think we could handle a Lemaire trap scheme, though the "NASHVILLE IS SO BORING" comments would obviously get worse.

Yeah, I agree. I don't see a lot of evidence that the team has tuned him out, or that he's outlived his shelf-life. Interestingly enough, the few players that might have felt that way are gone. Our problems seem more lack of execution, or just lack of talent. Trotz does more than most would with the types of players that this organization seems capable of attracting. That said, I would like either of your choices as successors, as well, as I think they fit the attitude and mentality that seems a cornerstone of the Preds.

As for Poile, I see him having a job til he decides to retire, or takes a higher, but less intensive position in the organization, probably in the next few years. At that point, it seems obvious that Fenton would probably take his place.

You

Jul 1, 2010
Does Trotz have a son? I'm assuming the Predators are divine right, patrilineal until I see evidence otherwise.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
No you don't. You really don't. Not unless you want to see how Hornqvist does at center, or Cullen playing fourth line right wing, or Weber staying in front of the net, or Jones getting the most minutes on the PK, or four defensemen on the power play, or any number of other bat**** crazy deployments. Noel is insane.

OTOH, that insanity shows up in entertaining ways in his after-game press conferences. :) "We need more joy."

I love that insanity, thank you verra much. :)

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Uh no thanks. We want to get better not continue to suck.

What about an assistant from Detroit? They know how to win.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
What would the reaction be if the Preds got smoked tomorrow night and a philly is pulled?

Define "smoked." If we lose 3-0 or 3-1, I don't see anything happening, but if we just get completely humiliated and lose by 7 or 8 goals, it's possible. I think Poile will give Trotz a bigger sample size with this team, though. Firing him so early in the year makes it really difficult to have a replacement lined up, and bumping one of the assistants up to an interim position is basically writing off the rest of the season. That certainly won't happen before Christmas.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The only way anything happens in the near future is if Cigarran, Freeman and company tell Poile to fire Trotz or they can both hit I-65 out of town.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad