Who would you like to see as GM and Coach?

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Gillis and Vigneault :) Would not be upset if we got Tippett or Ted Nolan.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Bump Mike Gillis up to President, he's brilliant but no one likes dealing with him
Hire Joe Nieuwendyk as GM with MG holding a strong hand over him for a couple years
Hire Guy Boucher as coach

Oh hell no! Nieuwendyk was a terrible GM in Dallas.

I would be OK with Lawrence Gillman as GM. I would NOT be okay at all if Arniel is named head coach though. I would completely lose my ****!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If Ruff is in, then Kassian might be on his way out given their relationship in Buffalo.

If that's the sort of problem we'd have with Kassian...that's not much of an improvement on Hodgson's dad. :shakehead

And if we're choosing our new coach based on what our extremely inconsistent, not at all established young project 'power forward' wants...we'd best set about firing whoever decided that was how the hiring process should work. :laugh:

hackey

Oh Did I Offend You
Aug 18, 2003
That's Too Bad
Visit site
Oh hell no! Nieuwendyk was a terrible GM in Dallas.

I would be OK with Lawrence Gillman as GM. I would NOT be okay at all if Arniel is named head coach though. I would completely lose my ****!
Nucks need new blood, so Gillman no.
Nieuwendyk needs the guidance that Gillis as President can provide for a couple years,
in Dallas he was on his own and a newb

Yzerman is a crappy GM as well, like Nieuwendyk, he's still learning the ropes
But with help and experience, that's how these guys learn and get better

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Nieuwendyk needs the guidance that Gillis as President can provide for a couple years,

What organization develops GMs while giving them the big chair?!? :laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

So you want new blood which is why you don't want Gillman as GM, yet you want our new GM to be heavily influenced by our current GM? Umm....okay, that makes a lot of sense. :sarcasm:

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Tippett or Boucher.

Gillis as GM for now.

Really need to improve the pro and amateur scouting though. Gillis is a solid enough GM. Has had 2 moves not work out and it has really hurt the team. If Booth comes in a scores 25-30 and AV doesn't develop instant unending hatred for Ballard then those moves look a lot better.

Instead 2 busts costing the team young players.

Need to start finding some legit top 9/top 4 talent through the draft. The whole "late picks" thing is no excuse for failing to draft at least moderately well.

Now someone will jump at me saying how the players are so young. They are, but Gillis first draft was in 2008 and they have exactly 1 player he has drafted on the team and that is Corrado who isn't a regular.

They have a few other guys coming up, but really their prospect pool isn't good enough.

Puck Ingrate

Aug 18, 2011
MSP / YVR
Surprised no one here has mentioned Dallas Eakins. Guy's been terrific with the Marlies and will have a number of teams lining up for him this summer. And I'm not even a Marlies or Maple Leafs fan.

Granted, it's hard for anyone to get a good look at his coaching style in Vancouver, but it's exactly what most Canucks fans have been clamoring for all season - aggressive forechecking throughout the lineup without always needing to resort to dump-and-chase hockey, an emphasis on quick puck movement and transition out of the zone, and a structured, positionally sound offensive game that doesn't rely on perimeter play.

The only question is whether the Canucks' have the adequate personnel to execute Eakins' style well, but if he gets hired, there's a good chance you'll finally see a Canucks team that plays a more cohesive style throughout the lineup. And if there is a shake-up, Eakins will make damn sure that there are players other than Kesler who can actually generate chances through an aggressive, puck pursuit style of play.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I think Toronto is lucky to have Carlyle. But anyways for our GM I would keep Gillis for now and have Boucher or Wilson as our coach. We also need a better scouting staff.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey
Its funny, because this should of happened last year but the Canucks missed the boat on it, but MacTavish would of been a good guy to hire from within, now that Arniel is there, I cant see it being anyone but him.

Wouldnt mind seeing Guy Carbouneau around here.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
All signs are pointing to Arniel, guys. We didn't want to let him go to CBJ I'm 2010, sweetened the pot to convince him to shirk NHL Assistant offers in 2012, and called him up to let him see the intricacies of how things are run in the playoffs. Gillis clearly loves the guy.

He is also the opposite of Vigneault in that he is a players coach, as opposed to a systems guy who distances himself from the inter-personal relationship side. Teams traditionally go from one spectrum to the other when hiring a new coach. We've had 2 straight systems coaches, both of whom succeeded in integrating a specific brand of hockey, but failed to retain commitment from the players long term, owing to the fact that there wasn't the personal relationship there.

It's gonna be Arniel. I'm not sure why some people are so upset about it, either.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
All signs are pointing to Arniel, guys. We didn't want to let him go to CBJ I'm 2010, sweetened the pot to convince him to shirk NHL Assistant offers in 2012, and called him up to let him see the intricacies of how things are run in the playoffs. Gillis clearly loves the guy.

He is also the opposite of Vigneault in that he is a players coach, as opposed to a systems guy go distances himself from the inter-personal relationship side. Teams traditionally go from one spectrum to the other when hiring a new coach. We've had 2 straight systems coaches, both of whom succeeded in integrating a specific brand of hockey, but failed to retain commitment from the players long term, owing to the fact that there wasn't the personal relationship there.

It's gonna be Arniel. I'm not sure why some people are so upset about it, either.

What signs?

People are so upset about the thought of Arniel being our head coach because he's a ****** coach. You think AV made some blatantly stupid lineup choices, Arniel has been worse. Anyone who followed the Chicago Wolves will tell you that (or you can take a look at the old Wolves threads from this season to get an idea of how stupid some of his decisions were).

Replacing AV with Arniel does nothing to change this team, and if that's the change that is made it tells me that Gillis made the firing because he's desperate to save his own job and had to make some kind of move, but hasn't really learned anything from these failures.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Surprised no one here has mentioned Dallas Eakins. Guy's been terrific with the Marlies and will have a number of teams lining up for him this summer. And I'm not even a Marlies or Maple Leafs fan.

Granted, it's hard for anyone to get a good look at his coaching style in Vancouver, but it's exactly what most Canucks fans have been clamoring for all season - aggressive forechecking throughout the lineup without always needing to resort to dump-and-chase hockey, an emphasis on quick puck movement and transition out of the zone, and a structured, positionally sound offensive game that doesn't rely on perimeter play.

The only question is whether the Canucks' have the adequate personnel to execute Eakins' style well, but if he gets hired, there's a good chance you'll finally see a Canucks team that plays a more cohesive style throughout the lineup. And if there is a shake-up, Eakins will make damn sure that there are players other than Kesler who can actually generate chances through an aggressive, puck pursuit style of play.

Sold. Done.

Ok now that's settled, who for GM? Gillis has gotta go his ego is to big to be effective at this job.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

He is also the opposite of Vigneault in that he is a players coach, as opposed to a systems guy who distances himself from the inter-personal relationship side. Teams traditionally go from one spectrum to the other when hiring a new coach. We've had 2 straight systems coaches, both of whom succeeded in integrating a specific brand of hockey, but failed to retain commitment from the players long term, owing to the fact that there wasn't the personal relationship there.

I hope you are wrong about this SonicY, but it is a strong possibility. Cannot deny that.

Boucher seems to be the best choice of what's out there. I really do think Gillis should go outside the organization for this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad