Who would you like to see as GM and Coach?

Eesh

Sep 27, 2006
Regina
Time for a winning pedigree and it starts at the top, if Av and Mike Gillis are shown the door who would be your choice for Head Coach and GM?

I want winners, winning is contageous and only those who have won have an idea of what its like and what it takes.

I would choose......

GM Joe Sakic (the avalanche are after him but he hasn't signed yet)
Head Coach Larry Robinson

Nick the Viking

Aug 7, 2006
Republic of Colwood
Sakic's moving into an advisory position with COL... and wouldn't Trev feel snubbed if we took a guy who has never been apart of our organization over him?

If GMMG and Vig are gone, I'd want someone like Guy Boucher in at coach - and I would have loved Jim Nill in at GM (nor w/DAL). Not sure who else would be a good fit in the GM role TBH

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Time for a winning pedigree and it starts at the top, if Av and Mike Gillis are shown the door who would be your choice for Head Coach and GM?

I want winners, winning is contageous and only those who have won have an idea of what its like and what it takes.

I would choose......

GM Joe Sakic (the avalanche are after him but he hasn't signed yet)
Head Coach Larry Robinson
Larry Robinson has said numerous times, he likes being an assistant coach.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
GM: God
Coach: Jesus

God is obviously the greatest architect of all time.

Jesus turned water into wine so I'd love to see what he could do with the Sedins, Kesler, Kassian, etc. Guy works miracles.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Regarding Linden - can't see it happening. In addition to the murmurs of a turbulent relationship between Linden and Gillis, he has plenty of his own ventures going on between his real estate workings, his gyms and his cycling. He hasn't really touched hockey since his retirement, so handing him a plum coach/management role would be ill advised, IMO. IF he were interested, he should start off in an advisory capacity of some sort to learn the ropes of that side of the game, but I don't see it happening.

For coach - Guy Boucher is the top guy available, from where I sit. My gut tells me the organization is high on Scott Arniel, though, in spite of all our misgivings about him.

If Gillis is turfed, I would like to see Gilman get the job - if only to retain his cap expertise. Losing him would suck.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Id like to see Wayne Gretzky as our GM, with Nieuwendyk, and Gilman as supporting cast

Dale Hunter for head coach

I think that Gretz and Newey are offensive minds, who both understand first hand the value in surrounding your stars with toughness, to create space for them on the ice. Gilman, because I like his media relations work, and he's familiar with the organization.

I chose Dale Hunter as coach, because his London teams are always around the top of the OHL, he works well with kids, and I'd like to see a bit of a youth movement take place here. Our young players have been mis-managed horribly by AV, and that needs to change IMO.

Last edited:

Nick the Viking

Aug 7, 2006
Republic of Colwood
Regarding Linden - can't see it happening. In addition to the murmurs of a turbulent relationship between Linden and Gillis, he has plenty of his own ventures going on between his real estate workings, his gyms and his cycling. He hasn't really touched hockey since his retirement, so handing him a plum coach/management role would be ill advised, IMO. IF he were interested, he should start off in an advisory capacity of some sort to learn the ropes of that side of the game, but I don't see it happening.

For coach - Guy Boucher is the top guy available, from where I sit. My gut tells me the organization is high on Scott Arniel, though, in spite of all our misgivings about him.

If Gillis is turfed, I would like to see Gilman get the job - if only to retain his cap expertise. Losing him would suck.

Totally agree on Linden - I was just more putting his name out there in lieu of Sakic' mention

I think you're bang on with Gilman. He would be the best best.

I hope Arniel isn't 'their guy' though... I want to see a more up-tempo system

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Totally agree on Linden - I was just more putting his name out there in lieu of Sakic' mention

I think you're bang on with Gilman. He would be the best best.

I hope Arniel isn't 'their guy' though... I want to see a more up-tempo system

have to agree with boith of you

linden is too busy with his businesses plus i plan to join his gym soon

gilman would succeed gillis
and i like guy boucher as head coach. maybe get scott arneil as assistant

solitary

Mar 30, 2009

Jesus turned water into wine so I'd love to see what he could do with the Sedins, Kesler, Kassian, etc. Guy works miracles.

There are numerous other man made deities who would serve as a better GM/Coach combo.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Gillis is probably safe for now.
5 division titles...
5 playoff appearances...
1 game from the Cup.
He got himself some leeway.

For coach...
Boucher is interesting...
But I don't know if I like the 1-3-1.

Please don't be Arniel.
Anyone but Arniel.

That is all I got.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
GM - Gilman

Coach - Haviland

Gilman has proven to be a cap genius, and seems to have no enemies around the league. Haviland gets a lot of credit for Chicago's exciting style of winning hockey.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
We can't seriously be considering Arniel. Has no one been watching what he did with the Wolves this year? If we don't like the way AV defends a 1 goal lead and his choice of players he puts out on the ice late in a game, oh boy are people not going to like Arniel. Ebbett will be the captain under Arniel.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Gillis is probably safe for now.
5 division titles...
5 playoff appearances...
1 game from the Cup.
He got himself some leeway.

For coach...
Boucher is interesting...
But I don't know if I like the 1-3-1.

Please don't be Arniel.
Anyone but Arniel.

That is all I got.

Boucher likes to run a 1-2-2 as well. An agressive forecheck like that should work with our players.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
GM Gillis (1-2 year leash)
Coach Boucher

If we're going to to go after a 'name' in management, let's keep it to assistant GM or consultant please.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Boucher likes to run a 1-2-2 as well. An agressive forecheck like that should work with our players.

Just curious...
How often does he do that?
Most of the time I watch Tampa games...
It is the 1-3-1.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Just curious...
How often does he do that?
Most of the time I watch Tampa games...
It is the 1-3-1.

Boucher liked a passive approach because his defense was brutal (and very slow).

I'd say 80% of the game his team could've used a 1-2-2 forecheck but the lead forechecker played it safe and his linemates passively skated back to the red line.

With good forecheckers like Hansen, Burrows, Kesler, and Kassian I think we'd run a 1-2-2 unless we're winning in the 3rd.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Vigneault isn't going anywhere.

In a different world I'd like Toronto coach Carlyle. Canucks could ask permission to speak to him about General managing. It's a promotion, so Nonis can't very well refuse. Then, let Carlyle choose who coaches.

CrazyJ

Apr 21, 2012
Vancouver

It would be interesting to see what Jesus could turn Whine into...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad