Who would you compliance buyout?

Compliance Buyout

• Total voters

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Some people will never stop.

Rangers have 3 candidates for this. Staal, Smith & Henke. Staal would be a definite choice for me. Henke would depend on what happens with Georgiev. And Smith? Why do I keep getting the feeling that they would want him back?

A compliance buy-out on Staal makes no sense in comparison to Hank on a simple mathematical level.

The proper way of doing this is a compliance buyout on Hank to shed all of his cap hit and then a normal buyout on Staal.

You save $2M on the cap hit with a compliance buyout on Hank compared with one on Staal. You use your regular buyout on Staal and your compliance buyout on Hank.

At the end of the day, neither should be on the roster next year.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A compliance buy-out on Staal makes no sense in comparison to Hank on a simple mathematical level.

The proper way of doing this is a compliance buyout on Hank to shed all of his cap hit and then a normal buyout on Staal.

You save $2M on the cap hit with a compliance buyout on Hank compared with one on Staal. You use your regular buyout on Staal and your compliance buyout on Hank.

At the end of the day, neither should be on the roster next year.
I didn't know there was a dollar differential between a regular buy out and a compliance one.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This all makes sense. My thing is just with Georgiev. He has been the backup for 2.5 years. He's going to be the backup moving forward if it's just him and Shesterkin. He's going to play 20 games per year unless Shesterkin gets hurt. I don't see much room for him to increase his value. His value only goes up if he gets an extended look; and given the small sample of a backup goalie, he could just as easily--more easily, I'd argue--have a bad season and lower his value. And then you factor in, the longer we hold him, the more expensive he gets, and the less team control an acquiring team has.

So, I'm not in a rush to trade him by any means. I just don't see his value increasing much at all. Given that, I think moving him now makes sense.

Actually I think it will be more like Igor gets 50 or so a year and Alex will get 30 or at least for the next couple years.....and then Igor (barring injury) will get whatever playoffs and that's a good way to not overplay a starting goal...and if we do end up trading Alex we'll almost certainly get a better deal if we don't try to force one. Let whatever team that gets him come to us with an offer that we really like.

Here's another thing--I think the Rangers as built are very very comfortable with Igor in net but I also think they're very (that's one less very) comfortable with Alex in net. There's something positive to say when a team thinks it can win on any given night with either the starter or the backup in goal.

Alex does on occasion have bad games--Igor had one after coming back from his injury---for Alex he doesn't string them together. He's a focused individual and a battler and he's been more or less the backup with Henrik so I'm not sure that's a big problem for him or at least not at the moment. I don't see him blowing up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad