who would you choose if we got second draft pick

who would you choose if we got second draft pick

• Total voters

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't think anyone thinks any one player is going to fix this roster. Even if we're able to add Tavares and Dahlin we still have a long way to go before we are ready to compete.

Toronto had a lot of great young players they buried (Nylander and Marner) before they got Matthews. Obv I don't think we'd bury Svechnikov, but we have a long way to go.

Take the best player.

We ad JT and Dahlin, we will be able to compete, especially if we hire a new coach. Or do you mean contend?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Year 1 no, but with Dahlin, Hronek, and Chowolski I think we would be looking good in a few years.

I'm sold on Dahlin, but we need to see Hronek and Chowolski in the NHL. I wonder where Holland sees them next year, they weren't even call ups this season.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I'm sold on Dahlin, but we need to see Hronek and Chowolski in the NHL. I wonder where Holland sees them next year, they weren't even call ups this season.

That's fair.

IF we landed Dahlin, then as long as those two can become top 4 guys, I think we will be ok. We would likely need one more kid to develop, or we would need to sign a UFA but I think those 3 kids along with DD would be a good top 4. Plus if we are talking 2-3 years down the road, all of E, Kronwall, Daley, XO, and Jensen will be gone. Its going to look like a completely different D outside of DD and I think that DD will be alright in the right role with the right partner.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
That's fair.

IF we landed Dahlin, then as long as those two can become top 4 guys, I think we will be ok. We would likely need one more kid to develop, or we would need to sign a UFA but I think those 3 kids but DD would be a good top 4. Plus if we are talking 2-3 years down the road, all of E, Kronwall, Daley, XO, and Jensen will be gone. Its going to look like a completely different D outside of DD and I think that DD in the right role with the right partner will be just fine.

I think with forwards you can expect a ton of production very early on in their careers. With defensemen, we may need to wait 5 years before they fully develop.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I think with forwards you can expect a ton of production very early on in their careers. With defensemen, we may need to wait 5 years before they fully develop.

I agree with that. That's why I could see a UFA signing to help with that issue. I also fully expect the Wings to go after one of the big 3 next year.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Cholowski couldn't be a call up considering he's playing in Juniors and is playing in the playoffs right now with his team. And Holland didn't want Hronek up due to the Griffins trying to make the playoffs he thought he would be more of an asset with Grand Rapids then just playing a bunch of meaningless games in Detroit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cholowski couldn't be a call up considering he's playing in Juniors and is playing in the playoffs right now with his team. And Holland didn't want Hronek up due to the Griffins trying to make the playoffs he thought he would be more of an asset with Grand Rapids then just playing a bunch of meaningless games in Detroit.

Both will be next season at Grand Rapids and will 100% sure get their NHL taste, one way or another.

Don't believe for a full NHL duty, yet, but if that happens, it would be a very pleasant surprise.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
You mean go after Tavares? I don't think he'd want to join a massive rebuild.

I do think they go after JT, but by big 3 I am refering to the big 3 D that are UFA next year (Karlsson, Doughty, OEL).

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Either way, like Henkka said, they're not that close to being in the NHL.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I do think they go after JT, but by big 3 I am refering to the big 3 D that are UFA next year (Karlsson, Doughty, OEL).

We may have a chance at OEL, but probably not Doughty and certainly not Karlsson. Doughty has said his main goal is to win more cups, he isn't doing that here any time soon.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
We are in a position where we need to draft "best player avaiable". Regardless of positions. We need talent.

And for me its clear cut
1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov

Last edited:

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I liked what I saw from Zadina at the WJHC more than Svechnikov, but I haven’t seen too much of either outside that tournament so it’s hard for me to say. The semi realistic possibility of having both Svechnikovs makes me smile though.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
We may have a chance at OEL, but probably not Doughty and certainly not Karlsson. Doughty has said his main goal is to win more cups, he isn't doing that here any time soon.

Agreed on Doughty, Karlsson on the other hand I could see considering Detroit. Its all guess work anyways.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I liked what I saw from Zadina at the WJHC more than Svechnikov, but I haven’t seen too much of either outside that tournament so it’s hard for me to say. The semi realistic possibility of having both Svechnikovs makes me smile though.

Can you elaborate on this? Svech was stuck in a 4th line role with minimal ice time and was close in production to Zadina, while Zadina played a prominent role for his team.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Zadina had like 7g or something in 7 games while Svechnikov only had assists, likely a few only secondary assists...

I said I liked what I saw of Zadina more, I understand the ice time differences but it doesn’t change my opinion.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Agreed on Doughty, Karlsson on the other hand I could see considering Detroit. Its all guess work anyways.

I don't see any way that Karlsson makes it to the open market. Ottawa would have to screw it up horribly. Odds are he's traded at the draft.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don't see any way that Karlsson makes it to the open market. Ottawa would have to screw it up horribly. Odds are he's traded at the draft.

Depends on the player, if he's set on hitting the open market, he's hitting the open market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->