Who would you choose 2nd Overall in your Draft?

VancouverCanuck

Vancouver's Finest
Oct 31, 2010
Vancouver
www.canucks.com
So I am blessed with 2nd overall in my keeper league draft.... now come the decision.... RNH will be taken 1st.....

That leaves me with a decision.... Landeskog? Huberdeau? Coutierer?

Who do you think has the highest upside?

I am in a full rebuild mode so I need some young talented superstars!

any tips will help!

cheers

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Depends how long you're going to be in the keeper league. Lando is probably the safest bet for the next year or two; long-term I'd go with Larsson.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
couturier will have the most skill to work with when he makes the NHL, but that same skill could push him out of the NHL for a while. i'd go with Landeskog to be honest, because not only does he get to play with Duchene or Stastny but there really isn't much in front of him on his team.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Landeskog is a sure bet to play in the NHL and the Avs are quite solid at developing young forwards so I don't think it's beyond his reach to put up 60-70P seasons down the road.
Huberdeau has the highest potential, but I'm not convinced Florida will develop him correctly. 70-80P potential but it wouldn't suprise me to see him become a Stephen Weiss-type player.
Couturier is a small step below these two, but he's a pretty safe bet to play in the NHL. Some think his upside is Jordan Staal, others see him becoming more like Eric.

If I were you I would trade down to select Ryan Strome. His raw offensive talent is second to RNH in the draft.

VancouverCanuck

Vancouver's Finest
Oct 31, 2010
Vancouver
www.canucks.com
ya im going to choose between huberdeu or landeskog..... pointing towards landeskog simply for the fact that he will play with duchene or stastny and there is no one really ahead of him on that squad as posted earlier by zhark

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
What type of league is it though? How long do you get to keep your prospects or are they part of your entire scoring team? Because a guy like Strome might end up being one of the better point getters, but he might also play the next two years in the OHL.

Lando would be my choice though only because he is going to play with Duchene...

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
If you want a lot of points and have patience, I'd go with Strome or Huburdeau.

You could probably trade down a couple spots to get him though. (Strome)

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
So I am blessed with 2nd overall in my keeper league draft.... now come the decision.... RNH will be taken 1st.....

That leaves me with a decision.... Landeskog? Huberdeau? Coutierer?

Who do you think has the highest upside?

I am in a full rebuild mode so I need some young talented superstars!

any tips will help!

cheers

Huberdeau has the highest upside; Strome's is comparable but a bit less likely to reach it IMO.

Take the Hube.

Johnstarks

Feb 4, 2008
Hi VC!

I'm actually in the same position as you, being in a deep 30 team keeper league and holding the 2nd overall pick. I've held onto my team for 4 years and my reconstruction is pretty much over, good luck with yours! It takes patience and a good strategic plan.

Whats your leagues format though? Is it a simulated league? or a multicat scoring league? This makes a big difference.

I can't believe no one has mentionned Adam Larsson in this thread yet. Heres my case for him:

- Out of all the players selected in 2011, I find he has the highest ceiling of them all;

- He will be in an ideal situation in NJ. By that I mean he is on a very good team that had a bad year (Parise was out as well). Clearly the Devils are in dire need for a puckmoving defenceman, and Larsson is the perfect suit for that. What that means is he will get loads of icetime on an already very strong core of players that will help him get tons of assists (Parise if they can sign him!, Kovy, Elias, Zajac).

- He is already NHL ready having played against men in the SEL. Just like his fellow countryman G. Landeskog, his frame is already filled out being close to 200 lbs.

In sumary, I'm giving a long look at Larsson in my league because first of all, I'm in a simulated league where aspects like durability, defensive awareness, speed, passing and shooting are important, not just whats on the statsheets. The fact he can be a Lidstrom-like player is very appealing and a star defenceman plays around 25 mins on your team at the very least.

I'll finish up by taking into account the other options:

G. Landeskog: Fantastic all around player. Does everything very well but nothing exceptionnaly well. His ceiling out of all the top prospects for the 2011 draft is the lowest... but hes virtually no risk. Brings leadership and "warrior" attitude to the table. Kind of guy everyone wants on their team. His pinnacle is becoming a 70 pts player. If not, the very worst he can do is becoming a Holmstrom kind of guy. Very safe pick.

J. Huberdeau: I see a lot of C. Giroux in him. Very elusive, elite vision and passing abilities, very decent shot. Isent particularly physical but clearly dosent shy away from the physical aspects. He needs to fill out a bit more though and is a few years away from being an impact in the NHL. His situation is good on the depth chart as he will have every chance to become their #1 C. My problem rests with Florida management. The only prospect I own in my keeper league is Jacob Markstrom but I usually stay away from the Panthers prospects. I know Dale Tallon is on board now and maybe management won't be an issue anymore. But Florida dosent seem to be able to developp prospects.

R. Strome: Storme is a very boom or bust pick. He either makes it as a top scorer or he dosent make the NHL at all. Great nose for the net, great creative dekes and deadly shot. He is on the smallish side and will need to develop his skating in order to translate his game to the NHL. I'm not saying hes slow, but with his size, will need to be one of the fastest on the ice in order to have success. IMO hes the riskiest of the players talked about in this thread. His situation is interesting. Will he become a winger to Tavares? If so, El Nino becomes his first competiton, a player I really like from the Winterhawks that has a decent chance of securing a roster spot in October.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I was in the same spot and I took Landeskog. But, I'm an Avs fan and that played into my decision.

If you are looking for highest potential offensive output, it's Huberdeau no question.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Huberdeau or Landeskog, but leaning towards the latter.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If I'm you I would go for Strome. Bias aside, because everyone knows what I think of him, the team that he's playing on has quite a few offensive talents on it and he's likely to play with Tavares (they've both centres, but can be converted, and will play with Tavares on the PP.)

If it's a fantasy based league take Strome for the potential point output. I think Huberdeau will stagnate in Florida and nobody else is as offensively gifted.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
its the type of league where every year you can only protect 12 players. so i should be aiming for someone who is 100% guaranteed to play in the NHL like landeskog.....

Then there is your answer. Huberdeau may end up back in the Q although I think the Panthers rush him. He doens't have much support so he doesn't have much value. Strome has high end offence but he might not be ready for another 2 years.

Lando is the obvious choice now....

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Easily Sean Couturier. Next up would be Strome. Huberdeau based on talent, but I don't like his chances of putting up monster seasons in Florida.

CamDegs13

Nose Face Killah
Feb 9, 2007
UMass
twitter.com
Landeskog was my favorite player in this draft, and will likely end up being my favorite player in the league. That said, in a keeper league I take Huberdeau for his offensive potential. You'll probably see him in the lineup in 2012-13.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad