Who would win?

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Hockeybuzz asked this question, who would win between all-time Oilers vs all-time Canadiens, or another team, if all players grew up in this era with current equipment/diet/training...

How would the all-time Pens stack up to these two teams?

3198975E-23EA-4BA0-86B0-070E8EE224C5.jpeg
EF941BF2-6D88-4D78-8D22-B983F65D0949.jpeg

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Mario/Jagr/Sid/Geno make them all look like jabronis and the Pens win 10-0.

Well, technically it’d be Mario, Crosby, Malkin, Francis down the gut and the winger pool like Recchi, Hossa, Stevens, Robitaille, Jagr, Kovalev, etc.

We easily have the best forward group in history. And Crosby Mario is better than Gretzky Messier in terms of all time 1-2 punch at C.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Habs D is stupendously better than any Pittsburgh could put on the ice. Or probably any other club for that matter.

I didn't realize the Oilers defense was as bad as it was. Huddy was hot garbage and Jason Smith was the equivalent of Derek Engelland. Not the stuff of "all-time great" teams. I'm not quite old enough to remember Kevin Lowe, but if Charlie Huddy's a pairing above him, he can't have been any good. Oh, and Steve Smith's known only for scoring a series-winning goal in game 7 for the Calgary Flames...while playing for the Oilers.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Pens goaltending comes in third, though? Barrasso is underrated historically I think but he's still behind Fuhr even though I think he's a little overrated. Pair Barrasso with Fleury or Murray and is that as good as EDM's?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Well, technically it’d be Mario, Crosby, Malkin, Francis down the gut and the winger pool like Recchi, Hossa, Stevens, Robitaille, Jagr, Kovalev, etc.

We easily have the best forward group in history. And Crosby Mario is better than Gretzky Messier in terms of all time 1-2 punch at C.

Yup, add Iginla, Leclair, Guerin, Sullivan, Roberts as well since I believe we're ignoring how they were when they were actually on the team.

Also Kessel, Mullen, Straka, Kunitz. Ridiculous.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Coffey, Letang, Zubov, Gonchar is a damn talented top 4 and then there is plenty to choose from between Daley, Streit, Boucher, Sydor, Goligoski, Orpik, Murphy, Carlyle, Samuelson.

Defensevilly there would be some liabilities, but they also would have a plethora of puck movers to choose from. You could form a respectable blue line.

Reactions: EightyOne

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Pens goaltending comes in third, though? Barrasso is underrated historically I think but he's still behind Fuhr even though I think he's a little overrated. Pair Barrasso with Fleury or Murray and is that as good as EDM's?
If they grew up in this era Fuhr probably wouldn't get away with performance enhancing drugs thus Pens goalies = better than Oilers.

On a funny note Coffey would play against himself for more pond hockey fun! Games goal avrg. would probably increase by 1 just for that! :laugh:

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If Kevin Lowe knows anything about winning he would admit the Canadiens would hand the Oilers there asses on platters.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The Oilers are IRRELEVANT in hockey history. I don't care what they wanna say. Outside of like 7 years, they have been a nobody.

Montreal hasn't done shit once the league expanded.

It's f***ing pathetic that this is even discussed. Canadian hockey fans are so insecure they have to live in 25+ year old "legacies."

Who would win? 1980 USA Winter Olympics team. If that rag tag bunch of nobodies could beat the juiced up overmatched monsters from the CCCP, they'd steamroll any team.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Coffey, Letang, Zubov, Gonchar is a damn talented top 4 and then there is plenty to choose from between Daley, Streit, Boucher, Sydor, Goligoski, Orpik, Murphy, Carlyle, Samuelson.

Defensevilly there would be some liabilities, but they also would have a plethora of puck movers to choose from. You could form a respectable blue line.
Larry Murphy was Pittsburghs best all time defensemen. He was solid at both ends of the ice, he was steady, cerebral, positionally strong, great first pass, best at keeping the puck in the O zone and tremendous of getting a clear defensively ala the Murphy dump. And of course he showed up when it mattered most. There's not one penguin defender I saw (since following the team since 1980) that quite measures up. He's one of the most underrated defensemen ever! Letang top four? Hell no!

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I’ll take a stab at compiling a roster, where players are at their career height, not necessarily at the level at which they played with the Penguins.

Robitaille-Lemieux-Jágr
Malkin-Crosby-Iginla
Stevens-Francis-Hossa
Kovalev/Näslund-Trottier-Tocchet/Recchi
*It’s incredible how many options there were for consideration here. In addition to those pencilled in, I seriously mulled over Kessel, Lang, Sullivan, Guerin, Kunitz, Roberts, Straka, Kehoe, Mullen, Pronovost, Apps and Leclair. I reckon I forgot a few.*

Gonchar-Coffey
Zubov-Murphy
Samuelsson-Letang
Carlyle

Fleury
Barrasso
Murray

That’s an ABSURDLY talented and diverse forward group. The defense corps is pretty much tailor-made to get them the puck, and any defensive shortcomings will pale in comparison to the offense they can maintain. There are a bunch of fiery competitors who can hold their own on the defensive side of things fairly well in there, too. The goaltending will either be on and dominant or not and pretty atrocious, but I think this team could outscore and definitely outpossess pretty much anyone.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Larry Murphy was Pittsburghs best all time defensemen. He was solid at both ends of the ice, he was steady, cerebral, positionally strong, great first pass, best at keeping the puck in the O zone and tremendous of getting a clear defensively ala the Murphy dump. And of course he showed up when it mattered most. There's not one penguin defender I saw (since following the team since 1980) that quite measures up. He's one of the most underrated defensemen ever! Letang top four? Hell no!

Yeah, definitely have to agree there. Murphy is on the top pairing likely with Coffey followed by Zubov and Gonchar with Letang like being a bottom D with Carlyle, never saw Carlyle play though.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, definitely have to agree there. Murphy is on the top pairing likely with Coffey followed by Zubov and Gonchar with Letang like being a bottom D with Carlyle, never saw Carlyle play though.
I loved Carlyle, he's the only defensemen we had that won the norris (as a pen), and deservedly so. He had a mean streak but he certainly had a solid skillset at both ends. He was mobile, physical and had very good offensive acumen. He unfortunately was on a lot of bad teams. A very complete player IMO.

I'd also throw in Ulfie. He's definitely in the mix there. Defensively he was as tenacious as anyone. He'd play the game in the trenches as if it were a war and his battles in and around the crease were epic. He gave a lot of punishment and got quite a lot. Simply put He was miserable to play against. lol Kaspar wasn't exactly fun to deal with either but he was a cut below. Zubov wasn't here long but he'd definitely be in my top four. His vision, hockey sense and poise were as good as any penguin player I've ever seen. And he could log ridiculous minutes. Such a talented player. I hated when they traded him for Hatcher. Although Hatcher wasn't a bad player we certainly lost that deal. I'm missing the Pens, can't wait for camp!!!!

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The Oilers are IRRELEVANT in hockey history. I don't care what they wanna say. Outside of like 7 years, they have been a nobody.

Montreal hasn't done **** once the league expanded.

It's ****ing pathetic that this is even discussed. Canadian hockey fans are so insecure they have to live in 25+ year old "legacies."

Who would win? 1980 USA Winter Olympics team. If that rag tag bunch of nobodies could beat the juiced up overmatched monsters from the CCCP, they'd steamroll any team.

I hate Montreal has much as any self-respecting Quebec City native should, but that's just a lie.

Since 1967, the Habs have 10 cups. They have done shit since 1993 though and 25 years is a long ass time :laugh:

It would be fun to compare the Pens and Wings from 1990-2018. Those two franchises were the most successful during that time frame (ok, we had a huge down swing from 02-05).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I'd add Kaspy to dummy that narrow headed pos Gretzky.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That Don Cherry clip is one of the worst pieces of media I've ever seen in my life.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Montreal hasn't done **** once the league expanded.

It's ****ing pathetic that this is even discussed. Canadian hockey fans are so insecure they have to live in 25+ year old "legacies."

Put down the bottle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad