Panarin-Backstrom-Forsberg
Laine-Barkov-Kopitar

Karlsson-Hedman
Josi-OEL
Chara-Vatanen

Bobrovsky
Lundqvist
Rask

Safe to say Keith's time in a Canadian sweater (or Team NA's) for best on best competitions is done, especially after this years performance.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Those rosters are not exactly optimal

Imagine refusing the opportunity to use the Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron line in order to play 50 point Toews as a 4C. And Chara-Vatanen? What? Ever heard of Hampus Lindholm?

That team North America defense is pretty weak as well...I could see them getting exposed at the NHL level. As a Sharks fan, Vlasic and Burns can’t even handle the Vegas Golden Knights without giving up a ton of goals; how the hell can they be expected to do well in international play?

Just a few guys I can’t imagine there aren’t better alternatives out there for:

Eichel - Stone
Toews - Bergeron
Chara - Lindholm
Vatanen - Klingberg

After looking at team NA, I’m inclined to say the defense is actually just not very good. I’m not even sure there’s one North American LHD that I would consider a true elite #1 at this point. And, while I’m down on Burns and Vlasic, I’m not seeing any clear better picks. If you want offense, there’s certainly nobody better than Burns. A player like Seth Jones is better as a whole, but just offensively, Burns is definitely better.

You guys might be overrating team NA. 3 of these defensemen (Keith, Vlasic, Burns) have fallen off a cliff, and are not as good as they used to be; there also aren’t any clearly superior replacements for these guys. I think Team World takes this one.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Matthews-McDavid-Kane
Marchant-Crosby-Seguin
Stamkos-Tavares-Kessel
Eichel-Toews-Mackinnon

Suter-Doughty
Keith-Pietrangelo
Vlasic-Burns

Quick
Price
Holtby

VS

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Tarasenko
Kucherov-Malkin-Draisaitl
Laine-Barkov-Kopitar

Karlsson-Hedman
Josi-OEL
Chara-Vatanen

Bobrovsky
Lundqvist
Rask
Why Chara and Vatanen? Theres so many better defensemen lol

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Only depends on chemistry. Would be realy close . First i thought no way World has a chance but my bet is on World.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Reminds me of when you had a WC with an Euro-team. That Euro-team turned out to be way better than you expected, didn't it. And that was just from the minor nations, so no Russians, no Swedes, no Finns, no Checks if any of them would make it. Granted, here you also merge USA and Canada. But if you merge that Euro-team with a Rest-of-the-world, I expect that, too, to be way better than you think.

Reactions: Trilliann

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Oddly enough, defence looks to be the biggest weakness for Team NA (something that would have been unthinkable only a few seasons ago). Canada's top guys from 2010/14/16 like Weber, Keith, and maybe even Burns and Vlasic, aren't what they used to be. And as others have already posted, nobody new has really emerged to fill that void.

I still think they can put together a better squad up front to tip things in their favour though. Don't get me wrong, team Euro has enough firepower of its own - But the possibility of throwing Crosby, Marchand, and Bergeron out there for a long shift and then follow it up with (for instance) Matthews, McDavid, and MacKinnon is just unfair.

Either way, it'd be a fun series to watch.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
NA destroys op's version of rest of the world's team but if you build a team with the actual best rest of the world players it would really be a coin-flip even in a 7 game series.

Like what the hell are Chara and Vatanen doing there?

And why isn't Rinne there at all? Imo. he is the best European goalie atm.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Matthews-McDavid-Kane
Marchant-Crosby-Seguin
Stamkos-Tavares-Kessel
Eichel-Toews-Mackinnon

Suter-Doughty
Keith-Pietrangelo
Vlasic-Burns

Quick
Price
Holtby

VS

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Tarasenko
Kucherov-Malkin-Draisaitl
Laine-Barkov-Kopitar

Karlsson-Hedman
Josi-OEL
Chara-Vatanen

Bobrovsky
Lundqvist
Rask

The 4th line for World rocks. I give World edge on lines 3 and 4 and NA edge in lines 1 and 2. Toss up

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Whatever happened to the Hockey Ryder Cup idea from two years ago? I thought the NHL would be all over that as it was their original idea, kind of references the Summit Series part of hockey history and would be a sure fire money maker as it sounded really cool.

I thought it would be a really neat thing to see a best of 5 series with North America vs. Europe in the even numbered years between the WCH.

EDIT: They already have the team jerseys and logos even. The ones from the WCH two years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad