Who would win among these Habs teams

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I think I'd have to take '57. Beliveau, the Richards, Moore, Olmstead on the scoring lines and Provost, Backstrom Marshall, Curry, and Goyette on the checking lines, Harvey, Johnson, Talbot and St. Laurent on D and Plante in net. That team was just too deep but also had incredible top end talent.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I think I'd have to take '57. Beliveau, the Richards, Moore, Olmstead on the scoring lines and Provost, Backstrom Marshall, Curry, and Goyette on the checking lines, Harvey, Johnson, Talbot and St. Laurent on D and Plante in net. That team was just too deep but also had incredible top end talent.
I would agree. Maybe the best team of all time, BTW, you left out Boom-Boom.

Phousse

Jul 28, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
1997 was the most offesnive minded with top-notch defense and goaltending to boot.

Losing to the Devils in Round 1 was the biggest upset in NHL history.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
1977 wins 1957 second 1967 third.

Just a hunch. I just know it isn't the 2007 team.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
2007, because the others are getting a little too old in my opinion :sarcasm:

no really, I can't see the 1977 team losing... they couldn't lose in season, I guess it would be pretty much the same here

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I voted for the '57 team. The '77 team is just a shade below in every category except checking lines.

The '57 team has a big advantage in scoring. Rocket and Beliveau would be the two best forwards in that game. Lafleur would be next, and then Boomer, Henri, and Moore are all better than the next best guy from '77.

The defensive depth of the '77 team is probably a bit better, but Harvey-Johnson is a better pairing than Robinson-Savard in my opinion. Talbot and St. Laurent were not in the same league as Lapointe, but I think it's closer than many would think.

Plante is better than Dryden. Dryden was a great goalie, but you very rarely hear him called the best of all time. A lot of very smart posters consider Plante the best ever (not me though;))

This one might ruffle a few feathers, but I'll take Blake as my coach over Bowman any day of the week.

Those '50's teams won five cups in a row against better competition. There was no other team in the league in the late '70's that had the talent of the Red Wings in the '50's. If not for the habs, they might have had one of the greatest dynasties of all time.

However, with Price and Chipchura (sp?) on their way, maybe 2007 can give them a run! :yo:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
When I set up this poll, i expected to see a lot of votes for the 57 & 77 teams which has happened. I also expected to see a lot of votes for 2007 & 1997 from the "old players sucked/evolvement of hockey" crowd. This hasn't happened.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad