Who would win a 7 game playoff series, Toronto or Boston?

Who would win a 7 game playoff series?

• Toronto would win the series

Votes: 267 33.5%
  • Boston would win the series

Votes: 531 66.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Addition of JT has me optimistic things will be different this time. Also there's no way Gardiner can be worse than last year come playoff time

Reactions: koyvoo

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
If you keep reading, Matthew's himself said there wasnt any injury issue that was holding him back from playing his best...

His play from November on last season is essentially the same hes playing now too... maybe this is just his norm?
I think Matthews is just being a player and wouldn't say anything. He obviously didn't play the same afterwards.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Took Boston here, they have a better balance of offense and defense and the Leafs are in trouble on the back end with Gardiner possibly out.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think Matthews is just being a player and wouldn't say anything. He obviously didn't play the same afterwards.

Let’s say you’re right, which there has been nothing to suggest you are other than you “think” then why did he go from PPG in the regular season with this injury all season (including well over PPG in his last 10 before playoffs) to 2pts in 7 games?

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Took Boston here, they have a better balance of offense and defense and the Leafs are in trouble on the back end with Gardiner possibly out.

Gardiner was -5 on on the ice for every goal against in the leafs last playoff game last year. This is addition by subtraction.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No they dont have depth issues (stop believing everything Toronto media propaganda tells you)

And you keep forgetting about Defensive Depth (which Toronto literally has none) and a quality backup goalie (which Toronto does not have)

Compared to the Leafs they have issues: they don’t have a 2C that can match Tavares not a 3C that can match Kadri. Bergeron can only be out there so long..:

The Leafs defense is fine: their bottom pairing is average at worst so I don’t s is what the issue is there. And if either team needs to use the backup goalie than the series is over for them: neither team has a Murray level guy waiting

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Compared to the Leafs they have issues: they don’t have a 2C that can match Tavares not a 3C that can match Kadri. Bergeron can only be out there so long..:

The Leafs defense is fine: their bottom pairing is average at worst so I don’t s is what the issue is there. And if either team needs to use the backup goalie than the series is over for them: neither team has a Murray level guy waiting

Krejci can match up against Tavares easily. He’s criminally underrated and a playoff beast. There is no mismatch at C.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
I’ve seen 4 cup wins in my life time, I think I’ll be alright.

Maybe if you’re lucky you’ll see a series win?

Leafs still have more cups than Detroit, and that will likely be the case for a very long time, if not forever (who knows how long Detroit will be rebuilding for).

Leafs >>>>> Dead Wings

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Leafs still have more cups than Detroit, and that will likely be the case for a very long time, if not forever (who knows how long Detroit will be rebuilding for).

Leafs >>>>> Dead Wings

How many have you actually seen? Just curious? I’m sure your grandpa has some great stories though !

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
So, no new injury, just the normal, little aches and pains all players feel at that time of year. In other words no excuse.
No some injuries you can play through but you won't be 100%.

Like a high ankle sprain. You can play but you won't be the same that's obviously not what mathews had. But the point remains.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Let’s say you’re right, which there has been nothing to suggest you are other than you “think” then why did he go from PPG in the regular season with this injury all season (including well over PPG in his last 10 before playoffs) to 2pts in 7 games?
It's not just me it's the head coach too.
If you read the quote in the article. Babcock says he couldn't play a complete game. He either had to play defence or offence. Couldn't really do both. And towards the end of the season it seemed like that too.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's not just me it's the head coach too.
If you read the quote in the article. Babcock says he couldn't play a complete game. He either had to play defence or offence. Couldn't really do both. And towards the end of the season it seemed like that too.

But again, even if your assumption is true, why was he well over PPG in the 10games prior to the playoffs and then fell off a cliff against the Bruins? Is it possible that he actually just had a poor showing in the series?

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
But again, even your assumption is true, why was he well over PPG in the 10games prior to the playoffs and then fell off a cliff against the Bruins? Is it possible that he actually just had a poor showing in the series?
I don’t necessarily disagree but to be fair Bergeron is just a far more influential player than Matthews and can make just about any player look pedestrian.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
But again, even your assumption is true, why was he well over PPG in the 10games prior to the playoffs and then fell off a cliff against the Bruins? Is it possible that he actually just had a poor showing in the series?
Playoffs are much harder and for what it's worth Matthews led in scoring chances of any player but he just didn't convert.

At the end of the days points and results matter so yeah he was bad but I don't think his buggy shoulder helped which definitely wasn't fully healed.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don’t necessarily disagree but to be fair Bergeron is just a far more influential player than Matthews and can make just about any player look pedestrian.

For sure, but IIRC Chara was actually the main catalyst in shutting down Matthews and Bergeron didn’t actually play a ton against him.

Reactions: wintersej

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
No some injuries you can play through but you won't be 100%.

Like a high ankle sprain. You can play but you won't be the same that's obviously not what mathews had. But the point remains.
Well yes, I see you're trying to make excuses for Mathews' poor play in the playoffs. However, he said himself, the prior injury wasn't a problem, so he wasn't playing injured. So, the point on the injury excuse is dead.

Reactions: SoldiersOfFilth

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Krejci can match up against Tavares easily. He’s criminally underrated and a playoff beast. There is no mismatch at C.

That’s a joke. Those two guys are light years apart in skill and on ice impact.

The fact is Tyler Bozak was the Leafs 2nd best Centre for 1/2 of the series last year: this time around he’d be the 4th best centre on the current Leas roster.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Right, but I’m talking about Gardiner

Seriously I get that he might be a bit over rated ect but he is definitely one of toronto top 4 Dmen and actually led the leafs in ice time last year in the playoffs.

Really don't see his replacement on the Leafs back end.

You are left with Reilly, Muzzin, Hainsey and Zaitsev for a top 4 that need to play 23 MPG plus with Dermott out and 2 of those guys are offensively challenged.

That doesn't bode well in a series against Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->