Who would make the best Commisioner in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Oh... and about this poll, it's more about popularity than competency.

Gretzky has been a failure at business. In the CFL, he failed. In the NHL, the coyotes are one of the most often fan-contracted team, he failed. Why have him as a commish? Ambassador for the NHL, yes. Commish, no way...

Burke? He did a terrible job back when he was working for the NHL. He's a terrible whiner and he has put up terrible offers during this lockout. Also, I can't see Burke having a good relationship with all the owners!

Dryden? Huh if you read his book I think he'd be a huge mistake at the head of the NHL. He would certainly wussify the league. ESPN would be happy though.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Smail said:
Saskins? Have you heard the radio blurb with him and Fishler? Saskins would be terrible for the PA job. Goodenow and Saskins will be shown the door imo.

Fischler was being an @$$. It was absolutely ridiculous, Saskin should have simply thanked the host for the interview, and hung up.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
GregStack said:
Fischler was being an @$$. It was absolutely ridiculous, Saskin should have simply thanked the host for the interview, and hung up.

Saskin was beyond horrible. You just don't throw around insults like that when you're the "chief negociator". Either you don't go, or if you do you're civilized. I don't see someone at the head of the PA when he goes mudslinging journalists on public air.

ResidentAlien*

Smail said:
Oh... and about this poll, it's more about popularity than competency.

Gretzky has been a failure at business. In the CFL, he failed. In the NHL, the coyotes are one of the most often fan-contracted team, he failed. Why have him as a commish? Ambassador for the NHL, yes. Commish, no way...

Burke? He did a terrible job back when he was working for the NHL. He's a terrible whiner and he has put up terrible offers during this lockout. Also, I can't see Burke having a good relationship with all the owners!

Dryden? Huh if you read his book I think he'd be a huge mistake at the head of the NHL. He would certainly wussify the league. ESPN would be happy though.

I dont think 99 or 29 would want the job quite frankly, Burke would be good, certainly has all the credentials and background.
I think I would pick Lou.

What about on the PA side?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Smail said:
Saskin was beyond horrible. You just don't throw around insults like that when you're the "chief negociator". Either you don't go, or if you do you're civilized. I don't see someone at the head of the PA when he goes mudslinging journalists on public air.

That's a fair enough assessment, to be fair I only heard the parts where after Fischler started screaming at him, Saskin said he cancelled his subscription to his illinformed newsletter years ago, then Fischler ranted about being 100 years old, and Saskin came back at him again...it was a ridiculous interview, but something tells me Saskin was caught on a terrible day, or was drunk at the time...not both though, I've never had a day where I was drunk that was terrible...

I'd still support Saskin for the job.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
MiamiScreamingEagles said:
How about Bobby Orr? He has been in the business post-playing career, has an unblemished reputation and fantastic charisma.

I don't know about that. Orr is an agent, so if anything, maybe he'd be in line for an NHLPA job.

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
Let me throw a name out there. The guy and his family have been in hockey forever, and he definitely knows all facets of the game ....Craig Patrick. I know he won't be a popular choice, but his integrity could never be questioned by either side!

ResidentAlien*

futurcorerock said:
I just entertained that idea.

Mark my words people... in 20 year I WILL be the Commisioner of the NHL

the way you drink you wont be around!! :joker:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
MrKnowNothing said:
I don't know about that. Orr is an agent, so if anything, maybe he'd be in line for an NHLPA job.

Yeah, I thought of that, too. Just throwing a different name into the mix. Pierre Lacroix and Michael Barnett, among others, made the leap from agent to management so I thought I toss Bobby Orr's name in there.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
GregStack said:

Well, keep in mind Saskin called the show for the express purpose of picking a fight with Fischler. Frankly, both sounded likes idiots, but that's what made it so entertaining.

ZadorovNJD*

Burke. He proved he can handle the business aspect in Vancouver, and he's committed to entertaining hockey.

GreenBud

Feb 2, 2005
Vancouver
ubongs.blogspot.com
Nice to see Burke leading.

When Burke first took over the Canucks I couldn't stand him. I even let him know one day when he was walking his dog. :yo:

However, I have come to discover I have more respect for him then any other man in the game. (Outside Gretzky, of course)

The NHL needs a 'hockey man' to get it back to where it should be. Burke is that dude!!

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Don Cherry with some votes. :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: . Although he wouldn't be your ideal commisioner I think he should maybe have Cambell's job. Cherry knows the game and what it needs to work.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Who the HECK voted for Bettman?!?!?!? The man who destroyed the NHL in 10 years after it was at its peak!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Brian Burke or Ken Dryden.

I forget his name, but whoever is running Arena Football. He got them a better TV deal than Bettman got for the NHL.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Brian Burke or Ken Dryden.

Isn't Dryden of the opinion that fighting should be banned from the NHL? I don't think that will go over too well with the majority of fans.

As for the Arena guy, the AFL has the exact same kind of revenue-sharing setup with NBC as does the NHL.

ATLANTARANGER*

Ken Dryden

It is obvious that he can be political, understands that in politics you have to give and take. He is well educated, he gets it. Something that Bettman never did and doesn't. As a former player he understands the traditions of the game, understands the fabric of the game. Under someone like Dryden I think you would see less gimmicks to sell the game. Simple things like getting rid of obstruction calls. There are penalties already in the rule book. It is either holding, intereference, tripping, etc. You don't need a gimmick call like obstruction in a lame attempt to try and fool the fan into thinking that you are getting tougher by bring in a new type of penalty. Players have to play with 2 hands on the stick, you take your hand off a stick and place it on an opponents body, that's holding. It was when I played the game as a kid. You bring the stick up, it's a penalty, period. You hit from behind, it's a penalty, period.

I love physical, hard forechecking hockey. It is what generates offense. But if people are going to be allowed to hook and hold and run intereference what did anyone think was going to happen? Scoring was going to go down. Pare the season down to 70-72 games. All teams that are facing each other in a game have to have the same number of days off prior to the game. This I played last night, you rested stuff has to stop. At the price of tickets the fans deserve to see teams operate at their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->