Who would make the best Commisioner in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
richardn said:
Who would make the best Commisioner in the NHL?
The owners may say Gary Bettman if he gets a 45M Cap tomorrow!!! My personal favorite would be Lou Lamerillo...respected, tough, fair, has passion for the game!

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
If it was somebody that the PA wouldn't dare take shots at like Gretz and that all the players looked up to, I have a feeling we'd already had our first month of hockey.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Michael Madsen.

Seriously.

He takes no crap and would do the Stuck in the Middle dance number on a bloody Bob Goodenow if this ever happened again.

I'm 100% for him, with Christopher Walkin a VERY close second.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Well, you know Don Cherry is out because they can't go and change the name to Western Hemisphere Hockey League. ;)

If this means replacing Bettman soon, then I don't think that should happen. He stuck to his guns, and called the players bluff by cancelling the season. He has brought a cap, and saved the season (granted, it looks like two great ones may have a huge hand in this one). For now, Bettman deserves to stay.

At some point in the future, Lamoriello would make a good commish, I agree. I also think that Wayne Gretzkey or even Lemieux could do it, if not just on being themselves. Maybe they could tag-team it, and let Lamoriello do all of the behind the scenes work.

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
I don't want Lamoriello to be the NHL Commissioner. I want him to remain as the GM of the New Jersey Devils. Badly.

But among these choices...he'd probably be the best option.

Though, personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the next commissioner is a guy who has been in the background of the NHL for awhile who is now going into a public role.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
I am a Ranger fan, and as much as I hate to admit it, Lamoriello would make a great commissioner. He is respected by the players and owners and he has a great knowledge of and love for the game.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
I dont think this should be a position where a former hockey player who doesn't have many credentials other than that he just played hockey. That being said Im suprised Sidney Crosby isnt getting more recognition, wasnt he one of the 50 most influential people in hockey?. The commisioner should have some kind of solid background in business or law in my eyes. In my view Gretz gets way too much credit as some kind of a hockey god, and think he'd be way over his head as Commish

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Dryden for his passion for the game and his people skills

Burke for his knowledge of how the business world works, creativity when it comes to thinking about deals, able to put his foot down when needed, and doesn't degrade himself to unrational comments

Gretzky is the greatest ambassador to the game, but i can't see him taking a hard stance

Daly seems like a good down to earth guy who is an optimist and it seems if it were up to him he'd be negotiating 24/7 and none of this have 1 meeting and go to your corners for 2 weeks and have 1 more meeting

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I've got to go with Daly, I've liked him throughout the lockout, and I think his knowledge far surpasses his position. I'd like to see him get the NHL job should Bettman get what's coming to him, as well as I'd like to see Saskin get the PA job. Honestly, although they disagree, it seems clear they disagree based on their sides viewpoint, and not solely on their hatred for each other.

Wetcoaster

canucksfan said:
Gretzky or Burke. Now that I think about more I'd rather have Burke because Burke knows the business side more than Gretzky does.
Burke knows zip about business which was why Dave Cobb was given control over virtually all the financial aspects of the Canucks operations.

Although Burke was President in name he had no line authority over Cobb who reported directly to Stan McCammon just as Burke did.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
Where is the Scotty Bowman option?

Too old? Maybe...
Would he want the job? Who knows...

He'd be my choice. I like Brian Burke the most among those listed.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Oh my god, Burke??? This windbag is the biggest whiner I've seen. As the Canucks GM, he would not shut up after each playoff game complaining about EVERYTHING. I'd rather keep Bettman instead.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
How about Bobby Orr? He has been in the business post-playing career, has an unblemished reputation and fantastic charisma.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
GregStack said:
I've got to go with Daly, I've liked him throughout the lockout, and I think his knowledge far surpasses his position. I'd like to see him get the NHL job should Bettman get what's coming to him, as well as I'd like to see Saskin get the PA job. Honestly, although they disagree, it seems clear they disagree based on their sides viewpoint, and not solely on their hatred for each other.

Saskins? Have you heard the radio blurb with him and Fishler? Saskins would be terrible for the PA job. Goodenow and Saskins will be shown the door imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad