Who would go first overall in an alltime draft?

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
Ok, I know they have these alltime drafts on hfboards, but say every player ever was a prospect...based solely on their predraft status, and not what they did as a pro, who would go #1?

I would say Mario or Lindros personally, being that both are big, mobile, were very offensively gifted, and had great junior careers, but who do you think?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Ok, I know they have these alltime drafts on hfboards, but say every player ever was a prospect...based solely on their predraft status, and not what they did as a pro, who would go #1?

I would say Mario or Lindros personally, being that both are big, mobile, were very offensively gifted, and had great junior careers, but who do you think?

How about Orr who was projected to be a star at 12 and signed by 14 years old?

Ogopogo*

Gretzky was shown on HNIC at age 10 or 12 and a headline in the paper at the big Quebec peewee tournament back in Wayne was a peewee said "Gretzky worth paying to see".

170 points as a 16 year old rookie in the OHL wouldn't hurt his chances either.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Gordie Howe raved about Gretzky as a teenager as well... joked about his own records gonna be shattered some day by the phenom.

J0e Th0rnton*

Yet Gretzky was widely questioned because of his size. It was proposed he would be unable to take the physical rigors of the NHL. They were wrong, but im talking "How the GM's would see it"

Lemieux was going 1st overall if Gretzky or Lindros was in the same year, no question. Im not saying Lemieux was better than Gretz, just saying he was a sure thing, slated to be the biggest thing ever in hockey because of his raw skill.

If Orr had been watched like Lemieux.........all you ever hear is how Orr stole the show. Orr was playing with 16-18 year old when he was 12 and beating them.

Orr probably would be #1 overall, Followed by Lemieux

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
How about LaFleur who scored 233 goals in his last 108 games of junior hockey.

J0e Th0rnton*

Imagine Valery Kharlamov watchers too:yo:

He was the russian Gretzky

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Orr
Gretzky
Lemieux
Kharlamov.

After Kharlamov, every one is user's choice, as long as they come with a logical one...

Such a draft could see busts -- Hello, Bryan Fogarty! -- though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And yes, if players could be drafted as soon as 15 or 16 years old, Bryan Fogarty would go 1st round. Things got worse as he aged, though.

SuddentheSwede

Mar 6, 2007
Mats Sundin naturally. I mean honestly, Mario? Lindros?

It really annoys me that you insist with your North-American bias, not realising good ol' Swedish greatness even when it's right in front of you.

Get real folks.

Raoul Duke*

Sadly, I wonder how high Daigle would go in that draft? 10th?

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site

Well I would agree if Kharlamov played against Canadians when he was 16/17/18 years old, but the facts of the mater are that he played against Canadians, which is when he got the most attention from the broadest range of people.

The list from my lifetime

1. Lindros - This guy was pumped up more than any other player, I think I still have his autobiography from when he was 17.
2/3. Crosby/Ovechkin - I know it is two people and you can't do that but it seems as though for years leading up to the tow drafts that was all that one could read about regarding hockey prospects and the who was/is better debates just won't stop
4. Daigle - More flash than dash it does appear.
5.Joe Thornton

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
And yes, if players could be drafted as soon as 15 or 16 years old, Bryan Fogarty would go 1st round. Things got worse as he aged, though.

Well that just is not true. Fogarty had his breakout season TWO years after he was drafted (when he got 155 points) in 88/89. He was drafted in 1987.

He played 2 years before he was drafted and was very good but not a standout. 21 points in 47 games in 85/86 and 20 goals and 70 points in 56 games in his draft year. But he was an offensive D-Man with abunch of well known atitude problems at the time. He was not even remotely close to the level of Potvin or Orr who truly were standouts in the OHA at age 15 and were all around player not regarded by anyone as a problem player. Both would have possibly been drafted 1st overall as 15, 16, 17 and 18 year olds. Potvin had to wait until he was 20 to be drafted. He could have possibly been considered for the first overall pick for 5 years!

Fogarty had great talent but don't over-rate him.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Sadly, I wonder how high Daigle would go in that draft? 10th?

All time draft he would not be in the first round. He was hyped so much but that was more an off shoot of the Lindros hype. Lindros got SOOOOOOOO hyped that the next few drafts the top prospects were more hyped than the normally woulda been.

Raoul Duke*

No, not all time draft at all.

But my understanding was this thread was based on the hype they had going into the draft.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

Kharlamov's breakout year was his 19-20 season. He wouldn't have been a hot prospect. Same with Mikhailov.

Fetisov was impressive asa 17-18 year old, but it was his 18-19 season that really established him as a star.

Probably no Russain has been an uber-prospect, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk are the closest. Tretiak played full time in the RHL, how well? I dunno.

For Euro prospects, Jagr's 60 points in 51 Extraliga games is probably the best.

But, I can't get stats on former Czechoslovakian stars like Nedomansky, Martinec and Holocek.

ilovehockey

Jan 1, 2007
Orr, Gretzky, Mario, Lindros, and Crosby would proboly be the top 5 picks in no order, no one else was really as good as these guys at that age.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Some combination of Gretzky, Orr, Crosby, Lemieux and Lindros 1-5 ... when you're talking about pre-draft hype, any one of them could go anywhere in the top 5.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You mean as he drank?

Well, this, amongst other things, culminating in this one :

In 1999 Fogarty was arrested and charged with drug possession after a break-in at a school in his hometown of Brantford. Fogarty was charged with break and enter and possession of a controlled substance. According to the police report, Fogarty broke open the kitchen doors at the Tollgate Technological Skills Centre and was found standing naked in the kitchen with cooking oil spilled on the floor around him.

The followings that I got on Wikipedia tends to say I'm not wrong on Fogarty. Those are all "quoted".

Brantford Minor Hockey Association coordinator Bob Coyne told reporters that "he was a star. From the time he put skates on, he was better than everyone else. "We had seen Wayne (Gretzky). Wayne had to work at it. His game was outsmarting everybody else. Fogarty's game was outperforming everybody else. That's like comparing a Volkswagen to a Corvette."[1]

Growing up, Fogarty was a typical 80's Canadian teenager. He listened to Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath, sported a mullet and loved to hang out with his friends. Bryan started drinking at an early age. When he was 15 he was already playing with players who were much older than him because of his exceptional skill level. He would frequent bars and strip clubs with the older players. He was insecure by nature. During his junior hockey days in the OHL he'd take Niagara Falls Thunder coach Bill Laforge aside in the locker room and ask him in a whisper if his teammates hated him. Despite this, Bryan was known for his positive attitude and humble demeanor. During his time with the Kingston Canadians he was known as "Tippy" because, according to teammate Marc Laforge "he was always tipsy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad