Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Good point, I was super high on Casey. That would be the flip side I guess. He may be our best bet at getting a PPG forward though, IMO.

Yeah I am confused with that I had both him and Pettersson way up my board.

He would be my buy-low reclamation guy. I would flip Cholo for him in a change of scenery deal. I think he could be like Turris in his run with Ottawa after escaping Arizona. Like he might just run with the #2C spot, I think it is worth exploring if you are Yzerman and you get that chance at the draft or you don't like how some younger guy if not Cholo goes into camp and swap him in a trade. Not necessarily a common thing with division teams though... But we will see, would be interested if that does exist. I haven't totally given up on Mittelstadt as a player.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
ME the entire draft year

"What makes Quinn Hughes the outlier that will buck this trend is his skating and passing. He is the best at that of any young USA D-man I have seen. He processes the game so fast and he constantly maintains gaps and wins battles with his skating and stick. Elite in all three zones despite his size. That is why I have him at #3 on my board." I mean maybe not exactly but I would have said something similar...

Was actually most worried about Hughes' shot.

LOL. Knew this was coming!

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
LOL. Knew this was coming!

I mean to be fair, I did say it and say it a lot... Wrong forum to try and get that one by.

tenor.gif

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean to be fair, I did say it and say it a lot... Wrong forum to try and get that one by.

tenor.gif

I love it, I’m all for going out on the limb.

I pushed all my chips in with Raymond this year. Could bite me, but I would risk it for that kid.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Pavel Datsyuk is in contention for the best player I've ever watched.
Can't say that about Lidstrom or Zetterberg.
He was the most exciting player in wings uniform, but probably not the best one. Zetterberg was shut down center, he stopped Crosby, lidstrom was Mr do everything right, Helm was very important to, especially for his pk

Reactions: alexislafreniere

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
He was the most exciting player in wings uniform, but probably not the best one. Zetterberg was shut down center, he stopped Crosby, lidstrom was Mr do everything right, Helm was very important to, especially for his pk
Agreed with Datsyuk. He was the flashiest Red Wing. I’d draft Fedorov, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Yzerman, and Konstantinov ahead of him, personally.

BIGZ40

Jul 2, 2006
Georgia
Pavel Datsyuk is in contention for the best player I've ever watched.
Can't say that about Lidstrom or Zetterberg.
Datsyuk was the best 2 way forward I've ever seen. He also had nuances to his game that I don't know we will ever see again. He had imo the best toe drag I have ever seen, sneeky yet exagerated. Lidstrom is tough because he dominated the game in such a nonchalant way, by far the best positional defensive player I've ever seen. Amazing how much winning happens when you play defense and use it to break out to generate offense. I miss those days, just gotta trust in the yzerplan, maybe pray a little too lol

Reactions: LucaBrasil and MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

We disagree.
Datsyuk.
Fedorov.
Forsberg.
Crosby.
I'm gonna put Gretzky in a different category. Goaltending didn't exist. Coaching was different.
It's so hard to translate that.
But Lemieux's going to earn a spot on my list too because of what he did in the early 90s - as the game was still transitioning.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I love Bergy, but c'monnnnnnnnnnnnn

On Rossi, fair.

But who was the defenseman that was Quinn Hughes size that was playing big minutes and all situations in the NHL?

Jared Spurgeon. Before that, Rafalski actually took PK shifts in NJ, as well as PP. And Hughes can skate. If Rossi could skate like Hughes, there would be a lot fewer issues with him going forward.

With Bergeron/Datsyuk, Bergeron isn't exactly far off production wise throughout their careers, and paces higher in the playoffs. Their corsi numbers are similar. But I prefer Bergeron's game in the playoffs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Jared Spurgeon. Before that, Rafalski actually took PK shifts in NJ, as well as PP. And Hughes can skate. If Rossi could skate like Hughes, there would be a lot fewer issues with him going forward.

With Bergeron/Datsyuk, Bergeron isn't exactly far off production wise throughout their careers, and paces higher in the playoffs. Their corsi numbers are similar. But I prefer Bergeron's game in the playoffs.

I think that’s disrespectful AF, but to each their own. Bergeron at his peak can’t hold a candle to Datsyuk at his peak. But whatever, Datsyuk sucks or something.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think that’s disrespectful AF, but to each their own. Bergeron at his peak can’t hold a candle to Datsyuk at his peak. But whatever, Datsyuk sucks or something.

I don't think anyone is saying Datsyuk sucks. I just like other guys more for the last 20 games of the year.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
To me Datsyuk in hockey like Ronaldinho in soccer. Just amazing, you don't pay attention on others when those two were in the game , simply the best fun to watch players,
After Ronaldinho retired I stopped watching soccer.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Only on this board will people defend Chris Osgood and shit on Pavel Datsyuk.

Makes me sick, honestly.

I don't think being placed behind Zetterberg and particularly Lidstrom is shitting on anyone.

And it's reasonable to expect some dampening when Datsyuk is being elevated above Nick Lidstrom, a guy who won 7 damn Norris trophies.. It's also reasonable to expect some elevation of Osgood when he's often regarded as just another dude.

Reactions: Winger98

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
So the Wings have a connection to Perfetti via Devellano and Osgood. Just for the sake of silly (and arguably needless) misdirection I'm honestly hoping at a time closer to the draft that someone links a Russian tabloid-looking article showing that Yzerman/Verbeek/Draper were in Russia visiting Datsyuk. It'll mention how Pav was with SKA Saint Petersburg for three years and that will fuel speculation that the Wings are going to pick Askarov.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Reactions: MBH

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I also think some of the Datsyuk/Zetterberg disagreement is due to what people value in a player. They were both great at what they did, but didn't necessarily do the same things.

Did Hank have better scoring totals in the playoffs? Yes. But that doesn't mean Datsyuk wasn't contributing out there in other ways.

Personally, I think Zetterberg is significantly overrated by some. But that's just an opinion, and I'm fine with others disagreeing.

Reactions: lilidk

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So the Wings have a connection to Perfetti via Devellano and Osgood. Just for the sake of silly (and arguably needless) misdirection I'm honestly hoping at a time closer to the draft that someone links a Russian tabloid-looking article showing that Yzerman/Verbeek/Draper were in Russia visiting Datsyuk. It'll mention how Pav was with SKA Saint Petersburg for three years and that will fuel speculation that the Wings are going to pick Askarov.

Draper is actually the biggest link to Perfetti, supposedly a family friend and is giving him advice the last couple years already.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think being placed behind Zetterberg and particularly Lidstrom is shitting on anyone.

And it's reasonable to expect some dampening when Datsyuk is being elevated above Nick Lidstrom, a guy who won 7 damn Norris trophies.. It's also reasonable to expect some elevation of Osgood when he's often regarded as just another dude.

If I was going to bag on datsyuk I'd have mentioned dealing him for Toews. Or maybe put up a comparison to Dale Hawerchuk or Pierre Turgeon.

Datsyuk is probably a future HOFer, he won a couple of cups, Selkes, etc. Zetterberg still shouldered more minutes and was consistently given the harder match-ups. And it's not like Zetterberg was healthy the whole time, his back was deteriorating for years (I found this article from 08 talking about Z and back pain). Lidstrom literally lost a nut and still went out and anchored our blueline in the finals.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Draper is actually the biggest link to Perfetti, supposedly a family friend and is giving him advice the last couple years already.
I seem to recall reading that somewhere too.

Taking everything into consideration - if Byfield/Stutzle are gone - I'd be surprised if Yzerman doesn't draft Perfetti.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I seem to recall reading that somewhere too.

Taking everything into consideration - if Byfield/Stutzle are gone - I'd be surprised if Yzerman doesn't draft Perfetti.
Surprised but not shocked seems about right. They were in the basement so early they focused on these few guys and got lots of viewing in thankfully before the abrupt end. Yzerman got back to back viewings of Rossi in February for example. Just saying that although it sucks to lose the lottery at the very least we can rest assured they were prepared for this scenario. Chance favours the prepared mind.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If last draft I was against drafting Broberg, Cozens and Podkolzin , this draft I don't dislike anyone. I will be fine with Drysdale, Rossi,Raymond, Askarov, Sanderson, Perfetti. Best scenario if we trade down and get extra early second round

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Basically. He was the starting goalie for a Cup win, a Cup finals appearance, and the primary goalie for most of the playoffs for one of their Cup wins.

He's got nearly 1000 NHL games to his name and has made trips to the Cup finals 3 times on two teams. Talk about a first world team problem if that's a "low value" top draft pick.

Of course, he's been the lone detriment that cost the Penguins from winning 10 straight Cups. As if 4 appearances to the finals during his Penguins tenure wasn't enough. It's so silly. The standards goalies must accomplish that we don't hold to players like Datsyuk.

You guys want some real talk? Pavel Datsyuk is the statistical MAF of forwards. Yeah. I said it.

I dont know if youre intentionally choosing to forget a major chunk of his career but MAF was legitimately the lone detriment for like 5 straight playoffs with Malkin and Crosby in their prime. He won his one cup where the league and 2 generational players gave him a tonne of help. Literally as soon as a competent playoff goalie was found, the pens went back to back. All they needed was someone who could stop a beachball and they went back to back.

Honestly if they take Jimmy Howard in the second round that year, Howard has a couple cups to his name. Or Brian Elliot in the 9th round, he has a couple cups to his name.

Hes played a lot of games and has had a couple good years for sure, but he was absolutely a waste of a first overall and spent a lot of years actually being a negative to that team.

There is literally no comparison to be had between Datsyuk and Fleury, I dont know how you can pretend thats even close to comparable

Reactions: lidstromiscool

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
To me Datsyuk in hockey like Ronaldinho in soccer. Just amazing, you don't pay attention on others when those two were in the game , simply the best fun to watch players,
After Ronaldinho retired I stopped watching soccer.

Like I said, Datsyuk is in contention for "best I ever saw."
It was painfully obvious for the better part of 10 years in Detroit.
There won't ever be another like him.

Other guys could match his "flash" (otherworldly skill) from time to time. But nobody did what Datsyuk did on such a regular basis. Nobody. Ever. That I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad