Who won the Subban/Weber trade?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The Predators won the trade. They've been able to revitalize their team by shifting money around.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Preds did.

Weber's contract is outta control.

7 more years at 7.8 per year is horrendous in a world where every cent counts for cap space nowadays

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
So Boston won the Seguin trade?

So it's declaring a winner based on team success...

I think you’re missing the point.

I’m responding to a Habs fan that equates the trade being equal because neither won a team accomplishment. Using his criteria, you can say the Predators are better.

I’m not necessarily agreeing with that, just pointing how dumb the original point is.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Maybe the Canadians would be better if Weber wasn’t constantly hurt?
They most certainly would be.

Do you know what constantly means?

It means always.

Weber has had one major injury. (broken foot) It lasted a long time, but he's not "constantly" hurt.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Preds are clear winners IMO. Three decent years out of Subban then actually get some assets in return for him. Weber was pretty equal to Subban over the past three years, but the remainder of his contract is a negative asset.

Weber is better than Subban, but the contract is tough for sure. Weber is a beast but when he slows down it'll hurt a lot.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
41 playoffs games for one vs 6 for the other one.

24 playoffs points vs 3.

I'm a Habs fans, I can pretend that we won the trade... but honestly, the team itself was not better or did not have more success with Weber.

Yeah, Pk got traded... but Habs lost 3 more years (and counting) of "prime" Weber.

Subban gave Nashville what they were needed. Weber didn't changed anything with the Habs.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Nashville fans, are you going to miss Montreal fans telling you this?

Are we wrong? We gave up the best defender and he went onto become Nashville's best defender. Now he's New Jersey's best defender. We didn't just lose an elite defenseman, we lost easily one of the most charismatic athletes in NA sports (and easily the most in the NHL by a mile) who brought fans to the edge of their seats.

Still a horrible trade to this day.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Are we wrong? We gave up the best defender and he went onto become Nashville's best defender. Now he's New Jersey's best defender. We didn't just lose an elite defenseman, we lost easily one of the most charismatic athletes in NA sports (and easily the most in the NHL by a mile) who brought fans to the edge of their seats.

Still a horrible trade to this day.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a single Nashville fan that would call Subban their best overall defender in the three seasons that he was there. Sure there were times when he was their best, but there were also times when he was their 4th best. Didn't stop Habs fans from stopping in on their board and telling Nashville fans what opinions were correct.

But agreed, he's the Devils best defender.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
It's true. They had more success than Dallas since the Seguin trade so...
An almost hilarious amount of success when compared to Dallas. 2 cup finals appearances and being a perennial contender compared to Dallas having made the playoffs only 3 times.

If they "lost" the trade then it wasnt by much

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Weber's missed 84 games in 3 seasons for Montreal, and that's a lot. Even PK missed considerable time but still "only" 35 games.

Subban was a key part for the Preds making the SCF, and anyone neglecting that don't remember how Weber was part of the Preds the year before and ran out of gas in the 2 round - complete opposite to Subban who played with energy all the way through. Seriously, Weber looked like a pylon in the last games of 15/16. So say what you will, the Preds experienced this success after the swap and it made a positive impact. Not to mention, the Preds never won any division titles before. Now they won it b2b and even one presidents trophy. Weber has done nothing to change the Habs, aside from hot first couple months they had in 16/17 after the trade. Would it matter if the Habs had Weber or Subban back there the last 3 years? Not sure about that.

Preds get a couple of 2nds as they move on from Subban - painless end to the saga vs what could've been a major headache that is the Weber contract. He's 34 years old and probably plays 4 more years until his actual salary drops down to 1M, then he's probably LTIR'ed. Regardless, is Weber worth 7.8M from 34 to 38? I guess we'll see, but i doubt it.

Right now for me the answer is Nashville. They had franchise-record success with him and in the end get assets from him and are able to sign Duchene - not happening if they have 34 yr old Weber @ 7.8M in the books right now. They were forced to a bad situation because of the offer sheet but in the end were able to manage it well.

If you ask Poile he does the trade 10/10. Ask Bergevin, and maybe he'd take a second look at some of the other options available at the time.

Nobody knows how or when Weber will start declining hard but man he’s been worth every penny and more from his contract since we acquired him. Stellar play, rock solid defense, amazing leadership especially with the young players (they call him dad).

Maybe we could’ve gotten a younger offensive player for Subban but at the time we needed leadership and truthfully, we needed a D back. Can you imagine how bad we would’ve been with Petry has #1 and then a bunch of 5-6-7 D to fill out the rest of the roster

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Ya no.
Weber's value to the habs this upcoming season and the following years will be way higher than what Nashville will get from the two 2nd round picks they got from Subban
Weber is 34 and signed for 6 more years with a $7.8 million cap hit. I have a feeling his age and declining productivity combined with the cap hit will do much to hinder roster progress/cap flexibility these last 4 years or so of the contract

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
An almost hilarious amount of success when compared to Dallas. 2 cup finals appearances and being a perennial contender compared to Dallas having made the playoffs only 3 times.

If they "lost" the trade then it wasnt by much
1 cup final as Seguin was part of the club in 2013. Point stands though

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Subban was better for us than Weber was at the end. Nobody knows how it will play out in the long run. Preds fans probably feel like we "won enough" on the deal. I wish we had kept Subban this year and dealt other bad contracts to enable the Duchene signing instead. But what can you do. Preds management may know something about his health that I don't. Subban was a definite breath of fresh air and our best player for 2 years, so that was a good enough "win" for us overall.

Not really as big a thing as most people want to make it out to be, though. Hockey is still a team game and whether you win or lose by a little bit on any single player transaction, it really doesn't matter.

I hope Weber does great for the Habs and Subban does great for the Devils, and Duchene does great for the Preds. It can be win-win-win, I'm good with that.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
This gonna sound strange but I think neither did but instead the Devils made out like bandits. They got Subban for a song. Weber's deal is just too long and it will be an anchor on both the Habs one day and the Preds with the recapture penalty. Devils get Subban for 3 years and that's probably all they want him for before he hits his decline.
before he hits dis decline? Did you see him last year?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Well since that trade, outside of NSH going to the finals, neither team has done anything.

So .. draw? ish?

So one team made finals and got a Norris finalist season out of the player then was able to trade him away for picks to use cap space for UFA signing. Player always had a very tradable contract due to term regardless of performance.

The other team missed playoffs twice+one first round exit in the one full season player played. He still has 7 years left on contract at almost 8M cap hit even though player is 34 years old...trade likely not possible due to term.

Totally a draw-ish

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Nobody won the trade.

Should Weber retire, that contract will decimate Nashville's cap and somewhat negate the finals run that they had.

Montreal hasn't done much of anything besides decline since the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->