Who won the Steve Smith/Dave Manson trade?

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
On October 2, 1991 the Edmonton Oilers traded Defenseman Steve Smith to the Chicago Blackhawks for Defenseman Dave Manson and a 1992 3rd round draft pick (which became Kirk Maltby)

From the Chicago point of view Manson was prone to errors in his defensive coverage but I always wondered what were Smith's weaknesses? Why did Edmonton want to trade him at that time?

Looking back on it, which team got more success out of this trade?

ot92s

Nov 5, 2011
edmonton for the sole fact that the got rid of steve smith. what a tool.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
edmonton for the sole fact that the got rid of steve smith. what a tool.

He was a very solid defenseman.

The fact that he had one gaffe on a huge stage doesn't change that.

If the Oilers were so destined to win they shouldn't have been in a position where a goof up like that would cause them to lose a series anyways.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Chicago was winning it for the first 3 seasons after the trade. Smith was simply a better defender who was much less prone to errors than Manson.

But late in the 1993-94 season, Smith broke his leg in a fight and was never close to the same player again after that. Edmonton traded Manson around the same time, and got a huge return for him ... but then screwed it up by taking Jason Bonsignore with the #4 overall pick.

ot92s

Nov 5, 2011
He was a very solid defenseman.

The fact that he had one gaffe on a huge stage doesn't change that.

If the Oilers were so destined to win they shouldn't have been in a position where a goof up like that would cause them to lose a series anyways.

solid talent level, i don't really hold the own goal against him either. I'm talking about being one of the biggest crybaby punks I remember watching. Such a ragdoll too...please learn to fight if you're going to be such a crybaby. Couldn't stand the way he carried himself on the ice. i would have moved him earlier in than edmonton did just so i didnt have to watch him play.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
solid talent level, i don't really hold the own goal against him either. I'm talking about being one of the biggest crybaby punks I remember watching. Such a ragdoll too...please learn to fight if you're going to be such a crybaby. Couldn't stand the way he carried himself on the ice. i would have moved him earlier in than edmonton did just so i didnt have to watch him play.

Wow. Are we talking about the same Steve Smith?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Edmonton traded Manson around the same time, and got a huge return for him ... but then screwed it up by taking Jason Bonsignore with the #4 overall pick.

I was always curious about that trade. I was in the midst of becoming a hockey fan around '93, so I didn't have a ton of knowledge yet. It seemed like Winnipeg made the trade knowing that it was going to be a top 5 pick which appears odd by today's standards.

Was it something equivalent to say Edmonton at this year's deadline giving up their first for an established defender?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was always curious about that trade. I was in the midst of becoming a hockey fan around '93, so I didn't have a ton of knowledge yet. It seemed like Winnipeg made the trade knowing that it was going to be a top 5 pick which appears odd by today's standards.

Was it something equivalent to say Edmonton at this year's deadline giving up their first for an established defender?

Winnipeg had had a massive 'European experiment' under Mike Smith in the early 1990s. Drafted nothing but Russians and Europeans almost every year from 1990-93, and had the most Euro-centric roster in the NHL.

It failed miserably and Smith was fired in January 1994 and replaced by a stereotypical hard-nosed Western Canadian GM in John Paddock.

Paddock immediately attempted to cleanse the organization of the Russian influence and give them a new identity (their top 5 picks in the 1994 draft were all from the WHL).

Acquiring Manson was a statement of the change in direction. 'Yeah, we're going to miss the playoffs, but we don't like it, we aren't drafting more Euro kids, and we're going to win with a tough team.' It was basically them paying a premium to get a player who made a statement of that new direction, and to win back fans who were unhappy about the Smith mess.

In addition to the #1 pick, they also sent out rookie Boris Mironov and their best prospect in Mats Lindgren. It was a huge haul and a terrible trade for Winnipeg ... until Edmonton wasted the pick on Bonsignore and Lindgren suffered a serious back injury as a rookie that would plague him for the rest of his career.

So it was a weird/bad trade ... but there was definitely a context behind it.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
On October 2, 1991 the Edmonton Oilers traded Defenseman Steve Smith to the Chicago Blackhawks for Defenseman Dave Manson and a 1992 3rd round draft pick (which became Kirk Maltby)

From the Chicago point of view Manson was prone to errors in his defensive coverage but I always wondered what were Smith's weaknesses? Why did Edmonton want to trade him at that time?

Looking back on it, which team got more success out of this trade?

As far as I know, Smith got traded over money/contract issues. Money can be used as the default reason for 75% of the trades the Oilers made involving impactful roster players between 1987 and 2004.

Edmonton got a ton of mileage out of that trade though. Productive years out of Manson, and they bent Winnipeg over in trading him for 4th overall, Mironov, and Lindgren, even though Bonsignore was a total bust.

Mironov had a few decent years in Edmonton and was then traded to Chicago for a package that included Ethan Moreau, who went on to have a solid career as a third liner in Edmonton, eventually becoming captain. Sather then conned the Islanders by trading Mats Lindgren for Tommy Salo, who went on to become one of the better starting goalies in the league for a few seasons.

Salo was eventually flipped for then-unknown Tom Gilbert, who was serviceable enough and eventually traded for Nick Schultz, a decent #4-5 defenseman. The trade proved to be the gift that keeps on giving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad