Who won the PC battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Jasper said:
To the average, moderately educated fan, Goodenow outperformed Bettman in my opinion.
I have a Masters and almost done on my CFA...that puts me in the top 2 to 3 percent of educated people in the US........

.......and Gary far outperformed Bob in almost every aspect of each respective press conference IMO.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
kerrly said:
Are you calling me uneducated or an average fan? Which both happen to be very far from the truth. Uneducated is using your opinions to generalize things.

<sigh> Where did I call you anything? My point was that, to the average fan, I think that Goodenow came across better than Bettman. Average fan, not hfboards users i.e. you, me, and anyone else reading this post.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Well craig1 has spoken, I guess that's that. I'll bet it's in 'hockey' too.

SENSible1*

You are entitled to your opinion Jasper, but the numbers would suggest that Bettman won in a landslide.

Bettman looked visibly upset at what he had to do early in the PC and then was direct and concise in answering the questions.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Jasper said:

Its called politics Jasper, to me Gary came off as sincere and apologetic. Also, in my opinion, Goodenow came off like a whiny finger pointer.

I respect your opinion though.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Jasper said:
<sigh> Where did I call you anything? My point was that, to the average fan, I think that Goodenow came across better than Bettman. Average fan, not hfboards users i.e. you, me, and anyone else reading this post.

Sorry I misunderstood.

preddevil

Mar 9, 2004
As a fan, Bettman clearly won. On the other hand, Goodenow did exactly what he needed to do. He wasn't talking to us. He was talking to the players. He rallied the troops. He placed the blame squarely on the evil owners. He told the players what they wanted to hear. It wasn't your fault guys, it was the bad, greedy owners. We did all we could. We gave up so much. It's their turn. I'm sure this propaganda made the players feel like they were fighting the good fight against all odds. Our only hope is that enough of the players see through his rhetoric and realize that this very moment is the last, best chance to make a deal.

For the record, I am a pro-owner fan of a small market team.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I think my wife is a perfect example of an educated casual fan (or casual non-fan who puts up with it).

We watched Gary's PC this morning.

I called and had her Tivo Bob's.

She watched it and pretty much called Bob an angry bitter man.

In contrast, she thought Gary was sincere, truly disappointed about how things turned out, professional, not pointing blame, but being pretty much matter of fact.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
kdb209 said:
...professional, not pointing blame, but being pretty much matter of fact.

Well...up until the point when Al Strachan started talking. ;)

If there's one guy that Bettman truly despises and has a hard time keeping his composure around, it's Al.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Jasper said:
No, my opinion is just my opinion....you inferred that anyone who is "moderately educated" could see that Goodenow won.....I just pointed out that I feel I qualify as moderately educated, and I still felt that "IMO" (which does mean In My Opinion), I felt that Gary won.

If you felt like Bob won, that's fine. That is your opinion, and I have no problem with that.....just don't imply that anyone who doesn't agree with you is uneducated.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I didn't imply anything.. I also said 'in my opinion', without the acronym. I guess people are a tad touchy today.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
craig1 said:
A few. My family, with the exception of myself, are casual fans for example. Most of my friends are casual fans. They do still exist, just not in the numbers they did before.
What period of time are you talking about? I hear a lot of people talk about "now" and "then," but hockey was not that popular in the 1980's. Attendance in the 1990's and 2000's are much higher than they were in the 70's and 80's. Also, the NHL didn't have a national televion contract for over 20 years until the Fox Network deal in the 1990's.

As for the Press Conferences, I went with Gary Bettman. Bob Goodenow sounded vitriolic. It read like a Larry Brooks column.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
feds91 said:
When Gretzky says he's 100% behind Gary Bettman, it's easy to figure out who won the PC battle. :)

While I agree Bettman won this battle, your reason is wrong. Wayne Gretzky is going to back Bettman because he's a part owner with the Coyotes. If he had said he backed Goodenow that would be a huge surprise.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Hockeyfan02 said:
While I agree Bettman won this battle, your reason is wrong. Wayne Gretzky is going to back Bettman because he's a part owner with the Coyotes. If he had said he backed Goodenow that would be a huge surprise.
Wayne is not part owner, he's a managing partner, big difference.

Bettman won the PC battle, but that really doesn't say much. Win the battle but lose the war. He said it all when asked how long it would take to recover and he said "a years or so". That or so says it all.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
If Gary could can the attitude (better than usual but still noticable) he'd have dominated, still a strong win though.

(Maybe if he could look less nervous he looks like he's expecting a sniper to pick him off at any time, he'd look better/less an.al)

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
Jasper said:

I disagree and I will tell you why. Bob looked extremely flustered and while he used alot of words, he wasn't nearly as composed as he normally is. In Fact he looked today just like he did when they had their Marathon talks just a while back.

Defeated... tail between his legs... trying hard to deflect his failure on the unwillingness of the owners.

I think he had valid points, but he did not mention the fans at all, which was a huge mistake, and he then said that this is going to go on for a long time, suggesting he has a vendenta now.

Sorry but Gary seemed concerned about the league and the NHL... Bob was clearly concerned about his failure.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Yeah actually I just saw it again.. I don't think I paid enough attention to what Bettman was saying the first time; trying to get over the shock. Bettman does seem genuinely apologetic while Goodenow more or less plays the blame game.

I still can't help but feel the owners could have bent a little bit more, though I still support them overall..

rwilson99

Hockeyfan02 said:
I see. I didnt think he was part owner, but I heard some media outlet list him as part owner so thats where I got my info from.

Well HF02... you're original statement is correct. #99 is a part owner, who has been entrusted by his fellow partners in the Coyotes to handle day to day ownership responsibilities, hence managing partner.

There's a difference, but one is part of the other.

rwilson99

Jasper said:
Yeah actually I just saw it again.. I don't think I paid enough attention to what Bettman was saying the first time; trying to get over the shock. Bettman does seem genuinely apologetic while Goodenow more or less plays the blame game.

Takes a good person to admit that... all is forgiven.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
David Puddy said:
What period of time are you talking about? I hear a lot of people talk about "now" and "then," but hockey was not that popular in the 1980's. Attendance in the 1990's and 2000's are much higher than they were in the 70's and 80's. Also, the NHL didn't have a national televion contract for over 20 years until the Fox Network deal in the 1990's.
I'm referring to the mid-1990's. You had Saturday afternoon hockey nationally televised on ABC/Fox, etc....People would watch casually at get togethers, etc....now, it's an afterthought for most.

I know a few people from my high school hockey team from the early 1990's....these were die hards....who don't even follow it anymore. They say that the game became more like baseball...Boring, overpaid, whiners. I can understand their point

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
Goodenow sounded like an angry, bitter, whiny little man.

He pretty much lost the 'PC Battle' by himself - Bettman didn't have to do anything.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Proud Habber said:
Goodenow sounded like an angry, bitter, whiny little man.

He pretty much lost the 'PC Battle' by himself - Bettman didn't have to do anything.

Come on, Bettman obviousely loses the size battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad