Who "won" the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDaddy TLC*

I got to hand it to Chicago. They had a hell of a draft, almost left me wondering who was at the wheel of the BlackHawk bus (I even checked all the chicago obits to see if old man Wirtz kicked the bucket). It was a great 2 days for the team in building for the future.

KingofSpain

Mar 5, 2002
Windsor, ON
Visit site
Chicago had the best draft IMO: Barker was a no brainer, but then getting Bolland, Bickell, Garlock and Sindel was great for them. It also helps to have 4 2nd rounders. Berti, Maunu and Kell are some of my personal favourites. And then on top of that they get Dowell, McCulloch, Walker and Hunter. :handclap:

St.Louis had a great top 3, although lucky.

Atlanta added some serious defensive depth with Valabik, Lewis and Lehman. Painchaud was a quality pick-up and Juraj Gracik was one of the biggest steals of the draft.

Edmonton did really well too, with Schremp, Dubnyk, Teslyuk and Paukovich.

On the other hand, Calgary had a very disappointing draft.

guitaraholic*

Mr Sakich said:
Lowe thinks the oilers have drafted the best goalie. Yeah, goaltenders are a crap-shoot but the oilers have a good scouting staff and they think they got the best one. This, combined with Schremp at 25 means they did as good as anyone not naed the Capitals.

It would not have been a huge surprise if schremp went in the 4-7 slot. A GM could easily have made a case for that. It would have raised fewer eyebrows than wheeler at the 5th spot.

I've been looking at teams draft history's over the past 10 years and I am sort of at a loss as to how you can say that Edmonton has a "good scouting staff." They generally have been one of the poorer drafting teams in the last 10 years. Bonsignore, Steve Kelley, The Swiss Miss, etc, etc... it's a pretty lengthy list. Unless their scouting staff has changed over the last 3 years or so (I don't know if it has) then I'd have little confidence in the Oilers selections.
Just my opinion.

KingofSpain

Mar 5, 2002
Windsor, ON
Visit site
guitaraholic said:
I've been looking at teams draft history's over the past 10 years and I am sort of at a loss as to how you can say that Edmonton has a "good scouting staff." They generally have been one of the poorer drafting teams in the last 10 years. Bonsignore, Steve Kelley, The Swiss Miss, etc, etc... it's a pretty lengthy list. Unless their scouting staff has changed over the last 3 years or so (I don't know if it has) then I'd have little confidence in the Oilers selections.
Just my opinion.

I don't know the exact details, but those horrible picks and busts came from the Sather and Barry Fraser era (Fraser was stationed in Mexico). Last few years have been much better since the scouting staff change.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
guitaraholic said:
Just my opinion.

Barry Fraser was in charge before 2001. Kevin Prendergast took over in 2001 and our drafting has been much much better. So our scouting staff has compleatly changed.

momentai

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
guitaraholic said:
Unless their scouting staff has changed over the last 3 years or so (I don't know if it has) then I'd have little confidence in the Oilers selections.
Just my opinion.

There's your answer. The dynamic of the staff has changed. Barry Fraser left officially after the Mikhnov draft. Kevin Prendergast took the reins at the start of the Hemsky draft in 2001.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
guitaraholic said:
Unless their scouting staff has changed over the last 3 years or so (I don't know if it has) then I'd have little confidence in the Oilers selections.
The new regime in Oilers drafting started under Kevin Predergast-Kevin Lowe at the 2001 draft (they took Hemsky and Doug Lynch in the first two rounds and Jussi Markkanen in the fifth).

I'd agree that the jury's still out on how successful they've been, but I'd say they have shown that they are willing to go off the beaten track to grab the guy they want. With that, I haven't seen too many of these surprise picks fall off the radar, so I'd predict that they'll have a decent record when we have the advantage of hindsight to look back on their success. Other notable picks since then have been Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Jeff Deslauriers, Jarred Stoll, Matt Greene and Kyle Brodziak.

2000 was Barry Fraser and Glen Sather's last year of calling the shots.

EJG123

Jul 13, 2003
Prince George, B.C.
Visit site
As a Canuck fan, I'm absolutley pissed off that the Oilers got to take Schrempf onepick ahead of us. It's been said on other posts but surely there had to be a way to move up and get Shrempf (or Schwartz for that matter if they were intent on a goalie). For my own piece of mind I'm going to pretend that the Oilers took Shrempf in the slot they took Dubnyk and vise-versa. It will make me feel a whole lot better. New GM & same old scouts for the 'Nuckleheads. :banghead:

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
EJG123 said:
As a Canuck fan, I'm absolutley pissed off that the Oilers got to take Schrempf onepick ahead of us. It's been said on other posts but surely there had to be a way to move up and get Shrempf (or Schwartz for that matter if they were intent on a goalie). For my own piece of mind I'm going to pretend that the Oilers took Shrempf in the slot they took Dubnyk and vise-versa. It will make me feel a whole lot better. New GM & same old scouts for the 'Nuckleheads. :banghead:
I would have liked to see the Islanders trade down with the Canucks and get Mike Green. Then Vancouver could have picked up Schwarz ahead of the Blues. It would have helped both teams IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->